Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Thats funny and we had a lot of new fans when Flutie and to a lesser degree Rivers showed up. The Flutopians were nuts.
    When you have your own breakfast cereal named after you, the cult is bound to assemble.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltdiehard
      The Precious
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

When you have your own breakfast cereal named after you, the cult is bound to assemble.
      The UT board was overrun there for a time and bannings were flying. Good times.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

The UT board was overrun there for a time and bannings were flying. Good times.
        Crazy times indeed.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Read the comments. They’re funny.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Yep...good old Flutie Flakes. What's next? "Herbie Hotcakes?"

flutie.jpg

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Justin Herbert set to take on more responsibility for the Los Angeles Chargers in 2021

Updated Jun 22, 2021; Posted Jun 22, 2021

​​​​By Geoffrey C. Arnold | The Oregonian/OregonLive
                Justin Herbert said it was hard at first to learn the new offense with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Chargers’ first-year coach Brandon Staley and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi literally threw the playbook at Herbert during the early days of offseason training. Herbert indicated he struggled initially, but he has proven to be a quick study during Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and minicamp.

Herbert is excited to perform in the new offense as he prepares for training camp in July.

“The plan was to put everything in the first couple of days and it seemed like a lot. I had a tough time going through that,” Herbert told reporters. “You’re gonna make mistakes, but you’re gonna learn from it. I really appreciated that, because now, these past couple of weeks, we’ve got a great feel for it.”

Herbert said the new offense is similar to the one he played in last season under former head coach Anthony Lynn and offensive coordinator Shane Steichen.

Herbert performed unexpectedly well in that offense. He set NFL rookie single-season records for touchdown passes, total touchdowns, completions and he was just 39 yards short of having the most passing yards as a rookie during the 2020 season. The production led to him winning the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

While the 2021 offense is not radically different from the 2020 offense, there’s more responsibility placed on the quarterback.

“It’s pretty similar. I just think there’s more personnel, more formations and a lot more put on the quarterback,” Herbert told reporters. “One of the advantages is being able to get to any play. Kind of going up to the line of scrimmage...having a set list of plays to go against a specific defense. Kind of a game plan thing when you go up to the line of scrimmage, but that part I really enjoy.”

Staley and Lombardi have enjoyed watching Herbert learn the offense. Lombardi was the quarterbacks coach with the New Orleans Saints before he joined Staley in Los Angeles and he’s incorporated some of the Saints’ offense into the new offense in Los Angeles.

Herbert will be asked to do more pre-snap reads at the line of scrimmage while understanding the formations and personnel on the field. The expectation is Herbert will have a strong grasp of the offense when the Chargers begin training camp July 27.

“Being comfortable in and out of the huddle. Protections. Kills. Alerts. Two-minute drill,” Staley told reporters. “All those things have kind of come to life for him.”

The success of the offense won’t rest solely on Herbert’s shoulders.

The Chargers upgraded the offensive line that ranked 28th in pass blocking efficiency and allowed 201 quarterback pressures, second-most in the NFL in 2020, according to Pro Football Focus. Herbert was sacked 32 times in 15 games, ninth in the NFL in 2020.

Herbert sees himself as a point guard whose task is to distribute the football to his playmakers on offense. Herbert will have plenty of playmakers to choose from, including wide receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, running back Austin Ekeler and tight end Jared Cook.

“I do think we have the ability to come out and put up what you want to be able to go out and win games,” Cook told reporters. “I definitely think we have the type of offense to be in those type of games.”

Staley said he’s confident he’ll see a well-prepared Herbert when training camp begins.

“It’s not just gonna happen right away. We didn’t want to take it easy on him,” Staley told reporters. “Justin is such a hard worker and I think that when you see it on the practice field, you can see all of that hard work really shine.”

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold | @geoffreyCarnold

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Herbert Hoagie
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Herbert Bucket

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Herbie Hashbrowns

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Herbert Haokah

Herbie Haikili

*The Lakota and Polynesian gods’ of Thunder and Lightning.”

He can do a rain dance or a Haka as game prep.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Herbert Bucket would include all things Herbert.

example: 13 AV. Rookie Season. Average Value Draft grade measures equity draft slot vs actual production compared to his peers. Each season, as he progresses that number should increase, towards the goat, Brady, #1 all time NFL value metric that will probably never be equaled (drafted 5th rd.).

Comment

Working...
                          X