• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

The best part of this thread is visiting the first few pages when everyone freaks the fuck out about the pick.

To be fair, I wanted Wirfs.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Flanker7
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2021
      • Send PM

One thing I worry about Herbert which shows on his stats from 2020, his pass rating while being pressed is better than when he has a clean pocket to throw from. I noticed some easy short to medium range throws he missed where his feet didn't shift to set up his throw. But when he was under pressure, he was dead accurate because his feet were moving. Probably a habit for strong-arm QB's relying too much on arm strength in short to medium throws. But fortunately, it is very correctible, and he said in an interview during mini camp that he has been working on his footwork.

Please, NO second year regression, Herbie

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Flanker7 View Post

Herbert is a smart, hard-working, and motivated guy who's O-line has been greatly improved in the offseason.

There are never any guarantees, but if there's ever been anyone who had the pieces in place to AVOID a Year 2 regression, it's Herb.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Two minutes ago.

Up here in NorCal.
          ​​​​​
          Ran into a man wearing a Bengals cap.

Asked him straight up.

Burrow or Herbert.

He IMMEDIATELY said.

Herbert is the truth.
          He's a baller.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

One thing I worry about Herbert which shows on his stats from 2020, his pass rating while being pressed is better than when he has a clean pocket to throw from. I noticed some easy short to medium range throws he missed where his feet didn't shift to set up his throw. But when he was under pressure, he was dead accurate because his feet were moving. Probably a habit for strong-arm QB's relying too much on arm strength in short to medium throws. But fortunately, it is very correctible, and he said in an interview during mini camp that he has been working on his footwork.

Here’s the way I interpret Herbo’s pressured vs. clean pocket stats…

Success vs pressure shows that he has good instincts. Hard to over-analyze when a 6’6, 270 lb pass rusher is in your face. Instincts can’t be taught. You either have em or gain them through experience. Evidently, Herbo’s got em.

Success vs a clean pocket should improve with a normal off-season and TC. Having success when operations are running smoothly comes from preparation and building chemistry—learning how to trust MW with 50/50 balls, learning the timing of KA’s routes, learning how to treat Ekler as a receiving threat. Those things take reps, a matter of getting comfortable with the system.

It would be way more concerning if Herbert excelled in a clean pocket and flailed under pressure. It would indicate a ceiling to his game (ie. disrupt the system=offensive implosion).

We have yet to see Herbo’s ceiling, and that’s fucking exciting.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Two minutes ago.

Up here in NorCal.
              ​​​​​
              Ran into a man wearing a Bengals cap.

Asked him straight up.

Burrow or Herbert.

He IMMEDIATELY said.

Herbert is the truth.
              He's a baller.
              :coolstorybro:

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Great point about Herbert's struggles at times from a clean pocket! I attribute some of that with OL inconsistencies, which I am sure messed with his timing, but there were some errant throws that were more puzzling too. As the season went on, I think Steichen tailored the offense more to what Herbert felt most comfortable with, which of course limited the playbook.

None of that is a condemnation on Herbert at all, just an observation. He played at a tremendous level, especially considering the greatly shortened off-season. Herbert's height and long levers can be both a plus and negative in a way, which makes footwork and mechanics all the more important to his continued success in my opinion.

It's the short to medium repeatable routine plays where Tom Brady is so efficient, especially when it matters most!

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

That his footwork improved under pressure tells me the muscle memory is there. When he had too much time there was an opportunity to overthink or force the mechanics. Time, repetition, and confidence will solve.

That's what "analysts" like pffff are missing when talking about passing under pressure not being consistent from year to year. Herbert's best throws weren't broken plays but perfectly in time with the pocket collapsing. That's a transferable skill.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Too much Herbert talk.
                    Not enough actual on field work.
                    Expectations too high.
                    Build-up anxiety.
                    Hope Chargers come out running the ball.
                    Let nerves settle.
                    Collect composure.
                    Build out slow and steady.
                    Save juice for end of season.
                    When it really matters.
                    Then we can talk.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                      Too much Herbert talk.
                      It's the offseason. Herb is probably the most sensible topic of conversation for any Charger fan.
                      Not enough actual on field work.
                      Wish there were more, but it is what it is.
                      Expectations too high.
                      My expectation of the ceiling in 2021? Playoff berth. Does that sound like sci-fi to *you*? The team finished 7-9 last year with a horrible O-line, gawdawful special teams, and suspect coaching. All of those areas have been addressed. Is it so hard to believe that could translate to 3 or 4 more wins, in a 17 game season? I don't think so!
                      Build-up anxiety.
                      Huh?!?

Hope Chargers come out running the ball.
                      Me, too! They ought to be able to, considering the line will feature just ONE returning starter (Bulaga) and has shed the likes of Feeney, Lamp and Tevi in exchange for Feiler, Aboushi and Linsley, all proven NFL players. And, oh yeah, they've added Rashawn Slater, too. This *should* mean a return of offensive balance, which has always been the best recipe for keeping defenses on their heels. There also figures to be a greater team emphasis on Time of Possession, and running the ball is crucial to *that* goal. Sustaining long drives = preserving the 'D' for late in the game.

SO many reasons to run the ball, and they ought to be able to do it well enough to consistently move the chains. And of course, as opposing defenses begin to sag toward the line of scrimmage in anticipation of a run, they're vulnerable to being exploited with the pass. And we have seen for ourselves how capable Herbert is.
                      Let nerves settle.
                      I'm with ya.
                      Collect composure.
                      What?!?
                      Build out slow and steady.
                      Okay, I see where you stand on the issue of whether it's better to burn out, or to fade away.
                      Save juice for end of season.
                      Some, anyway. You don't finish the first half of the Indy 500 without burning *some* fuel.
                      When it really matters.
                      Each game matters equally, until you get to the postseason. I agree that you shouldn't "pull out all the stops" early, but you still have to compete well enough to win.
                      Then we can talk.
                      So... you'll be back... when?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It's the offseason. Herb is probably the most sensible topic of conversation for any Charger fan.

Wish there were more, but it is what it is.

My expectation of the ceiling in 2021? Playoff berth. Does that sound like sci-fi to *you*? The team finished 7-9 last year with a horrible O-line, gawdawful special teams, and suspect coaching. All of those areas have been addressed. Is it so hard to believe that could translate to 3 or 4 more wins, in a 17 game season? I don't think so!

Huh?!?

Me, too! They ought to be able to, considering the line will feature just ONE returning starter (Bulaga) and has shed the likes of Feeney, Lamp and Tevi in exchange for Feiler, Aboushi and Linsley, all proven NFL players. And, oh yeah, they've added Rashawn Slater, too. This *should* mean a return of offensive balance, which has always been the best recipe for keeping defenses on their heels. There also figures to be a greater team emphasis on Time of Possession, and running the ball is crucial to *that* goal. Sustaining long drives = preserving the 'D' for late in the game.

SO many reasons to run the ball, and they ought to be able to do it well enough to consistently move the chains. And of course, as opposing defenses begin to sag toward the line of scrimmage in anticipation of a run, they're vulnerable to being exploited with the pass. And we have seen for ourselves how capable Herbert is.

I'm with ya.

What?!?

Okay, I see where you stand on the issue of whether it's better to burn out, or to fade away.

Some, anyway. You don't finish the first half of the Indy 500 without burning *some* fuel.

Each game matters equally, until you get to the postseason. I agree that you shouldn't "pull out all the stops" early, but you still have to compete well enough to win.

So... you'll be back... when?

very cool.

I just want to pump the brakes a bit. I get it. We all see the same things, but it’s just a game, and so don’t want to see anyone’s dreams crushed.

I’m from Eugene, and went to Sheldon High School and the University of Oregon. So I’m extra protective. Don’t want to be that homer who isn’t living off the kool-aid. That’s how I first fell in love with Chargers, drafting of Dan Fouts….. not sure how but would like to deflect some of the attention so the team can fully reach their collective potential. Absolutely love Keenan Allen, what a great WR and human being. So many stories, so much talent. I’d like to focus on bringing in Richard Sherman. Let him grab media attention, focus on defense, and let offense be offensive. But yes sir, love Herbert, he’s full of surprises
                        :Beer1:

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Herbert is still young. When Aaron Rodgers was his age he still had another 2.5 years of riding the bench.

Comment

Working...
                          X