• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    How about this for a random theory: Herb’s success while moving vs sometimes errant throws when stationary was due to lack of a decent off season program and pro camp to overcome his shitty Oregon training which had him moving a lot. One full pro camp in the pocket under Staley and he’ll be just fine.

that said, his “poor” pocket performance was pretty fucking good. A simple repeat is stellar imo

As to stats: if the new beastly OL is dominating this year, he’s more likely to be gaining 250/game vs 300. 300+ a game usually means you got no run game and you’re playing from behind. Wins baby, i don’t care about stats.
    You are way over hyping Herbert. Remember Lynn said he was a backup for a reason.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Herbert ideally is a pocket passer. Forced out of the pocket last year because of poor OL play, showcased plus ability to extend plays with his legs, whether throwing on the run, off his back foot or taking off running down the field for positive yardage, 1st downs and TD's. NFL teams now have a year of tape on him. But that duality should sustain his momentum going forward regardless. Much improved OL, autonomy running new Lombardi offense, healthy WR and RB group, Justin will push for top tier QB slot in fantasy leagues 2021 before even stepping onto the field. Those who miss out will be sorry, the one who nails him as QB #1 will be rewarded handsomely.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        Herb was 236 at the NFL Combine. The Chargers website lists him at 237. But to be honest, he seems even bigger now. Maybe ‘robust’ is the better word. I’m guessing 245ish.

I wonder how big he can get before his size hinders his mobility. I still want him to escape around the corner for those 10-15 yard scampers. But I also want him as thick and durable as possible.

What do you guys think?
        I want him to be athletic enough to rip off long gainers like he did in college. Like he did in the Rose Bowl. I don't want increased size slowing him down. I want JH to demoralize defenses by picking them apart with his arm, and when they think they have JH penned in, he escapes and sprints 50 yards for a score.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I want him to be athletic enough to rip off long gainers like he did in college. Like he did in the Rose Bowl. I don't want increased size slowing him down. I want JH to demoralize defenses by picking them apart with his arm, and when they think they have JH penned in, he escapes and sprints 50 yards for a score.
          Nothing wrong with long, lean strength. A former NBA player works out at my gym. He's old, looks skinny but at his height, it's relative. The weights he uses, reps are just "huh?' Strong.
          Herbert doesn't need to change his body style.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

I don’t think it’s as much about changing his body style as much as it increasing core strength. Ability to absorb contact and withstand physical nature of being franchise QB in the NFL.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

He doesn't look bigger to me, just leaner.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                You can get bigger with less body fat. More muscle definition and veins are more pronounced which means he is both working out and high protein low carb diet. He’s dedicated to his craft and knows to be accountable to his teammates and coaching staff. Just as important, the mental processing and Justin has had to turn over four different playbooks (no wonder some say he wasn't polished, but in fact that could be a plus with his intelligence and added adaptability). First season with Chargers OC was Shane Steichen, second season OC will be Joe Lombardi.

little known fact, Herbert was the first true freshman to start at quarterback for Oregon since 1983. That quarterback: Chris Miller was also from Our High School Sheldon.

the more you dig the more there is to like, buy low if you can and enjoy the ride.veryourhead:

Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 07-14-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Nothing wrong with long, lean strength. A former NBA player works out at my gym. He's old, looks skinny but at his height, it's relative. The weights he uses, reps are just "huh?' Strong.
                  Herbert doesn't need to change his body style.
                  I totally agree with this. I just don't want to see him add bulk, Herbert needs to stay lean. If you can do that adding muscle, good.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Just saying his arm muscles still look like whipcords rather than bulky (like Tebow did). Plenty of elasticity there for slinging the rock.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

I'm sure he's been getting specialized attention ever since signing on with the Chargers, from nutrition regimens to strength, to endurance, to lowering body fat.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Just saying his arm muscles still look like whipcords rather than bulky (like Tebow did). Plenty of elasticity there for slinging the rock.
                        He’s a pitcher he knows better. Saw a YouTube video of his HS or tournament team that won the whole thing and his numbers in HS his senior year are insane.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Herbert did consider entering the draft in 2019, and from what I have read and heard would have gone in the 1st round, a top 20 pick. The first team I could see drafting him in 2019 is the Washington Football Team. They drafted Dwayne Haskins @ #15 (whom they parted with after less than two seasons). I don't know if WFT would have drafted Herbert following his junior season over Haskins, who threw 50 TD passes in his lone season as a starter at Hohio state. The next QB needy team was the Titans, who were ready to move on from Marcus Mariota. They had already traded for Tannehill, but nobody was looking at Tannehill to be a savior at that time, his career at Miami was mediocre. But I don't think the Titans would have drafted another OR QB to replace Mariota. Which brings us to #28...where the Bolts picked Tillery. Does anybody think Telesco would have drafted Herbert at No. 28 in 2019 if Herbert were on the board?

Comment

Working...
                          X