• Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Stupid is what stupid does.

and does anyone really expect this team to mortgage the future to win more now while Herbert is cheap? I don’t.
    The biggest issues raised in the article can all be directly linked to one source: Anthony Lynn. Maybe you throw some of those 1st down trends at Steichen’s feet, but the consistent and stubborn refusal to stray away from the analytics and the passing game is squarely on Lynn. I don’t see any need to mortgage the future at this point but if we can make it to the playoffs this year, even if we exit in the wild card round, I would like to see TT be more aggressive next off season in acquiring talent outside his normal means. This is a foundation building year.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      Good read……..

​​​Chargers Have a Bright Future in 2021
      Fantastic read with great insights!! I have no problem with eating crow about Steichen's play calling. These analytics show without question that play-calling was predictable and more importantly consistently ineffective throughout the season, especially on early downs, which I probably should have seen better. I felt by running the ball, the Chargers were taking some of the pressure off of Herbert, but play calling probably put Herbert at a disadvantage in more ways than not ..

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Fantastic read with great insights!! I have no problem with eating crow about Steichen's play calling. These analytics show without question that play-calling was predictable and more importantly consistently ineffective throughout the season, especially on early downs, which I probably should have seen better. I felt by running the ball, the Chargers were taking some of the pressure off of Herbert, but play calling probably put Herbert at a disadvantage in more ways than not ..
        I concur.
        The facts shown are very telling.
        I owe crusher an apology.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I think TT’s next off-season depends entirely on how 2021 OL plays. If that becomes the solid professional unit we all expect, he’s freed to work on the rest of the team.

And he better have fixed it, or he should be fired. He’s been saying he would fix the OL since he got here.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            I think TT’s next off-season depends entirely on how 2021 OL plays. If that becomes the solid professional unit we all expect, he’s freed to work on the rest of the team.

And he better have fixed it, or he should be fired. He’s been saying he would fix the OL since he got here.
            TT called. He says he promised to fix the O-line on Day One, and he WILL fix the O-line. He just doesn't need to be reminded every year or so. He's definitely going to get around to it, and doesn't appreciate you nagging him.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Chargers QB Justin Herbert positioned to finish with most pass attempts in 2021

Gavino Borquez
              July 20, 2021 3:18 pm PT
              The Chargers found success last season when they kept the ball in the hands of reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, quarterback Justin Herbert.

Herbert went on to finish the year with 595 passing attempts, marking the fourth-most in the NFL.

Had he played in the season-opener, Herbert could have possibly had the most in the league over Matt Ryan (624), given the fact that he was averaging 39 passes per game.

This upcoming season, Herbert is in a position to finish as the league leader in that category.

Joe Lombardi’s offenses average the most passing attempts among all offensive coordinators and offensive-minded head coaches with previous NFL experience as a play-caller.

During his time as the Lions OC in 2014, Lombardi ran a very pass-happy offense that averaged 39.35 passing attempts per game.

That season, QB Matthew Stafford finished fifth in the league in attempts (605), according to Fantasy Points’ Graham Barfield. No matter the situation Detroit was in, Lombardi still allowed Stafford to air it out.

When games were within a score, 63% of the plays were passes (2nd-highest rate). When the Lions were ahead, 54% of the plays were passes (7th). When they were trailing, 69% of the time it was a pass (13th).

With the way Los Angeles’ offense is built with the revamped line and his pass-catching weapons coupled with Lombardi’s philosophy of shaping it around his strengths like he did with Saints’ Drew Brees and Stafford, it should allow Herbert to distribute the wealth early and often.

With that being said, don’t be surprised if Herbert is sitting atop of the league in attempted passes and pushing for over 5,000 passing yards in 2021.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Hmmm - I expect the OL improvement will lead to a stronger run game. With that in mind, I expect the run/pass plays will end up being similar to last year's percentage.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  Hmmm - I expect the OL improvement will lead to a stronger run game. With that in mind, I expect the run/pass plays will end up being similar to last year's percentage.
                  It was roughly 60% pass / 40% run in 2020 for LAC. I think you're right.
                  One hand washes the other.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

This is about right percentagewise. Once you get up to 70% pass then there is something wrong with your offense or your always playing from behind score-wise.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Weren’t first down runs top 5 in the league. excessive 3rd down passes were a direct result of Down 1 and 2 failure due to running too much behind an OL that cannot block.

Stats can deceive
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Pass first. Then you can run with ease.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

After all the great plays by Herbert last year I've started reading posts that make it seem like Rivers was a bad QB. I myself have been pleasantly surprised at how cool Herbert seems as opposed to how hyper PR was.
                          I just watched some tapes of the 2019 season and I came away wondering how he ever completed any passes with that OL. The interior of that OL was a sieve!

I love Herbert but let's not forget that #17 was a great leader and QB for the Chargers for 16 seasons.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X