• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Rivers was a great if inconsistent QB for us. Part of the inconsistency was his physical limitations combined with his...high energy personality.

Herbert clearly has a higher ceiling and I think his cooler head is more suited to a championship mentality.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Fun video for new Herbert Invitational.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Part of the problem is we had a running backs coach as our head coach determined to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down.

This put Herbert in 3rd and long situations frequently.

One of the best things to look forward to this season is just better play calling

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
          Part of the problem is we had a running backs coach as our head coach determined to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down.

One of the best things to look forward to this season is just better play calling
          Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

I don't think the proportion of runs to pass was out of whack. The problem was that our OL couldn't block well for the run and our Hc kept running in spite of that fact. Our RB's were being hit behind to line of scrimmage. If the new OL can run block better we won't complain so much about the runs because they will gain yards and make third down conversations easier.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't think the proportion of runs to pass was out of whack. The problem was that our OL couldn't block well for the run and our Hc kept running in spite of that fact. Our RB's were being hit behind to line of scrimmage. If the new OL can run block better we won't complain so much about the runs because they will gain yards and make third down conversations easier.
                We ran 75% of the time on second and short. Rather than use the favorable situation to play to strength and spread out the defense, we ran into a waiting defense. If we passed 60% of the time in that situation, the 40% of runs would have been much more successful.

It's even harder for a bad OL to run block when the opposing defense knows you're running.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

We ran 75% of the time on second and short. Rather than use the favorable situation to play to strength and spread out the defense, we ran into a waiting defense. If we passed 60% of the time in that situation, the 40% of runs would have been much more successful.

It's even harder for a bad OL to run block when the opposing defense knows you're running.
                  Not having such strong/exaggerated tendencies need to be part of the analytics game management.
                  With Staley having that person in his ear, he needs to be listened to.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I disagree. Knowing that we were a horrible running team, Lynn and company insisted on running the ball 53% of the time on first down. As the worst run blocking team in the league and with our receiving weapons and Herbert, we should have been right at the top of the league in terms of pass versus run percentage on all downs. We were nowhere close. That is what made our distribution out of whack (versus what it should have been).

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I disagree. Knowing that we were a horrible running team, Lynn and company insisted on running the ball 53% of the time on first down. As the worst run blocking team in the league and with our receiving weapons and Herbert, we should have been right at the top of the league in terms of pass versus run percentage on all downs. We were nowhere close. That is what made our distribution out of whack (versus what it should have been).
                      I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm well aware that the mix didn't work last year but I'm saying with a better OL that the same mix will be okay. I'm trusting the OL will be capable of providing some holes for the RB and I'm assuming our new OC will know you can't always run on 2nd and short.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

It's unequivocal !

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm well aware that the mix didn't work last year but I'm saying with a better OL that the same mix will be okay. I'm trusting the OL will be capable of providing some holes for the RB and I'm assuming our new OC will know you can't always run on 2nd and short.
                          On a team with Justin Herbert at QB and Allen, Williams, Ekeler, Cook, Parham, Guyton and Johnson as receiving options, I can't get behind running the ball 53% of the time on first down even with a better OL. Ekeler is not a heavy workload RB and those better OL players will also be better at pass blocking. I think that with consistent time to throw, Herbert will absolutely shred defenses, which will be fun to watch.

I would love to see us put fear into our opponents by very aggressively attacking them through the air. I would love to see the Belichick game management system of keeping our foot on the gas pedal throughout the game. I never want to see run-run-pass-punt-let our opponent back into the game again. I want us throwing to get first downs even late in games with a significant lead. Getting first downs is what allows the team to run the clock, not running the ball just for the sake of running the ball as our previous boneheaded HC seemed to think.

Comment

Working...
                          X