• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Last Sunday I watched two young QB's battle it out and it was a spectacular game. Maybe the best fourth quarter I ever saw. Allen and Mahomes are both great young QB's but we have one too! JH10 can put a team on his back and will them to victory just like Allen and Mahomes.

We haven't given Herbert all the tools that Mahomes has and we haven't given him the defense that Allen has, but when that happens - Charger fans will be the happiest they've ever been.
    100%. Hopefully, it can be done this offseason. But may take one more. We have Herbo, and everybody else doesn't. Can't count this team out with him out there. Herbo makes me feel a lot more calm and confident than when Rivers was out there, because Philip sometimes had a tendency to throw the timely pick. And I loved Rivers.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

100%. Hopefully, it can be done this offseason. But may take one more. We have Herbo, and everybody else doesn't. Can't count this team out with him out there. Herbo makes me feel a lot more calm and confident than when Rivers was out there, because Philip sometimes had a tendency to throw the timely pick. And I loved Rivers.
      To be fair, Rivers only started throwing the untimely picks when his OL degraded. He was fine during his earlier years and even as recently as 2017 and 2018. He definitely rebounded in 2020 behind the Colts OL.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

To be fair, Rivers only started throwing the untimely picks when his OL degraded. He was fine during his earlier years and even as recently as 2017 and 2018. He definitely rebounded in 2020 behind the Colts OL.
          One of the complaints I hate about some of Rivers' late-game int towards the end of his career is the fact that people used to say they cost us the game. That is partially true, but if inside of 2 (sometimes 5) minutes, the offense is driving and the QB is faced with high risk throws or throwing it away, you have to take the high risk throws. You can't just check down and take what the D gives you if you are running out of time. Some of those high risk throws are going to end in interceptions.

The alternative is having a bunch of 4th and longs behind, with no chance to convert, with time running out and 1 or more scores behind, and only an aging Gates and Malcolm Floyd as options. Even with Allen and Henry, our offense could still use some more playmakers.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

One of the complaints I hate about some of Rivers' late-game int towards the end of his career is the fact that people used to say they cost us the game. That is partially true, but if inside of 2 (sometimes 5) minutes, the offense is driving and the QB is faced with high risk throws or throwing it away, you have to take the high risk throws. You can't just check down and take what the D gives you if you are running out of time. Some of those high risk throws are going to end in interceptions.

The alternative is having a bunch of 4th and longs behind, with no chance to convert, with time running out and 1 or more scores behind, and only an aging Gates and Malcolm Floyd as options. Even with Allen and Henry, our offense could still use some more playmakers.
            Rivers even made a comment about that one time - he said something to the effect that he could play it safe and likely lose the game or go for it and try and win it. We all saw how it worked out but I think Rivers masked an awful lot of deficiencies around him in the middle to late part of his career and was underappreciated here.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

We haven't given Herbert all the tools that Mahomes has and we haven't given him the defense that Allen has, but when that happens - Charger fans will be the happiest they've ever been.
              Tools? You said Tools Roo?!

We need to upgrade our Harbor Freight defense to some Dewalt and Milwaukee up in here. Even some Makita and Ridgid could help. Some used Made in USA Craftsman with some life left. Sign some Husky for cheap.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

Best tool we could give Herbert is an improved DL that can get some pressure from rushing 4….up the middle pressure is a difference maker. I want a freak like Jones…too bad they are hard to come by. Id take DL with our first pick if the right prospect is there or at least Edge.

Any good DL coming on the market?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                  Best tool we could give Herbert is an improved DL that can get some pressure from rushing 4….up the middle pressure is a difference maker. I want a freak like Jones…too bad they are hard to come by. Id take DL with our first pick if the right prospect is there or at least Edge.

That's it !

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

The best thing you can do for the best player on the team? Give him the ball more. And you do that with a D that is not be top 3 in points allowed....but more importantly....dead freaking last in 3rd down conversion percentage. No worse team than us. Crazy.

So yes a stud DL will help tremendously.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I know it would not be that popular around here, and I am not necessarily recommending it, but instead of building up the O, one thought would be to try and play very good D, keep games close, and then just toss the ball to Herbert at the end of the game to win it for us.

I'm not sure it works like that anymore, but if you could keep us within 6 points, we always have a chance, provided we don't give the ball back with too much time.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

Mahomes just did it in the playoffs vs the Bills
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X