Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

Mahomes just did it in the playoffs vs the Bills
    Yes but the good news for Charger fans is that
    mr. Mahomes' second half meltdown is indicative of something internal.
    PM is struggling with confidence and the mental side of adversity
    More thoughts on this to come but this last game could be significant in KCs downfall moving forward.
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Yes but the good news for Charger fans is that
      mr. Mahomes' second half meltdown is indicative of something internal.
      PM is struggling with confidence and the mental side of adversity
      More thoughts on this to come but this last game could be significant in KCs downfall moving forward.
      The week before with the overtime win vs Buffalo kind of indicates there is nothing wrong with PM other than Chiefs had no answer for the second half adjustments made by the Bengals. I fully expect a coach with an offensive mind like Reid will find a way to counter what they did. The Chiefs may have peaked a couple of years ago, but I don't see PM suddenly collapsing.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

It's the same thing Mahomes has struggled with before: drop into heavy coverage and spy so he can't extend the play in comfort. BUT you need to be able to flush or contain with just 3 and have 8 good guys in coverage. He's getting better at on platform throws but his main threat is still off platform. Reid hasn't been willing to run teams out of that scheme, plus it's zone heavy so there's more fuys coming to support the run D from deep.

Chargers have actually had success vs KC the last 2 years. It's the let down games they need to deal with.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The week before with the overtime win vs Buffalo kind of indicates there is nothing wrong with PM other than Chiefs had no answer for the second half adjustments made by the Bengals. I fully expect a coach with an offensive mind like Reid will find a way to counter what they did. The Chiefs may have peaked a couple of years ago, but I don't see PM suddenly collapsing.
          He's not going to suddenly collapse in production
          but his issues are mental/psychological and I haven't even prepared my argument for that yet.
          many KC fans themselves agree with this perspective as well.
          The interesting thing about psychological barriers is that they can compound and create a mental barrier that can be everlasting.
          The Xs and Os are challenging for him, but he's also under a lot of pressure to be the new GOAT after having uber success early on.
          He's prone to make stupid decisions and always has. Early on KC was able to mask and even get away with those because of his physical ability to make magical throws.
          He knows deep inside that Herbert will eventually prove to be the better QB and that bothers him more than it should.
          I expect him to choke again in the playffs next season and likely every post season following
          He'll also win a bunch because of his sheer ability, but I expect to see an inordinate amount of choke jobs, especially if they continue to depend on him to carry his team.
          we'll see
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

He's not going to suddenly collapse in production
            but his issues are mental/psychological and I haven't even prepared my argument for that yet.
            many KC fans themselves agree with this perspective as well.
            The interesting thing about psychological barriers is that they can compound and create a mental barrier that can be everlasting.
            The Xs and Os are challenging for him, but he's also under a lot of pressure to be the new GOAT after having uber success early on.
            He's prone to make stupid decisions and always has. Early on KC was able to mask and even get away with those because of his physical ability to make magical throws.
            He knows deep inside that Herbert will eventually prove to be the better QB and that bothers him more than it should.
            I expect him to choke again in the playffs next season and likely every post season following
            He'll also win a bunch because of his sheer ability, but I expect to see an inordinate amount of choke jobs, especially if they continue to depend on him to carry his team.
            we'll see
            Agree with this big time.

Myhommy is melting down mentally from time to time and I agree that it will compound. Teams that make him diagnose plays and find the open guy without running around and looking for the WR that got lost deep is really forcing him to think, which he has not done in years past, maybe his entire football career. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Does he just breakdown mentally? Or does he learn the mental part of the game?

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree with this big time.

Myhommy is melting down mentally from time to time and I agree that it will compound. Teams that make him diagnose plays and find the open guy without running around and looking for the WR that got lost deep is really forcing him to think, which he has not done in years past, maybe his entire football career. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Does he just breakdown mentally? Or does he learn the mental part of the game?
              And Kelce is 32. He makes the game so much easier for a QB.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

And Kelce is 32. He makes the game so much easier for a QB.
                In crunch time, Mahomes gets locked on to Kelce & Hill presnap.....they better be open.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Nice little behind the scene look.
                  Day describes how this staff and Herbert himself helped take No. 10's game to a new level in 2021 and what else he learned from working with Chase Daniel and Easton Stick.

Playing quarterback's really easy in this league, huh?

Day: *laughs* There's a lot of work to it! People on the outside looking in are always asking me what's unique about Justin and [it's that] he's locked in from the moment he comes in after the game is over and we've gone through the film on Monday, and we're over that and on to the next opponent, he is locked in for the entire week. And he is learning, learning, learning at such a high intensity that he is just unbelievable with his preparation. He's taken it to another level to me. It's been really fun to watch because he's just so intense and he's locked in from the moment he steps in the building to learn that stuff and make sure he has it down for Sunday. It's pretty fun to watch.

We know how academically-gifted he is, obviously with what he did at Oregon.

I go back to a conversation I had with a reporter from ESPN who said she was not going to be surprised at his NFL success because she equated the study habits he would use towards his biology classes in college to game prep and game film in the NFL.

It really sounds like that translated; he takes it so seriously.

Day: Yes. And he's not distracted. From whatever time he gets in the building – and it's early – to the time he's out, he is locked in. There are no distractions. He's not messing around. He is learning that stuff inside and out making sure he knows it for the game. When we're in college, we studied stuff to know it for the test, but he is leaning it at a very high level and making sure he has it down pat when we get down there Sunday.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

In crunch time, Mahomes gets locked on to Kelce & Hill presnap.....they better be open.
                    He has the luxury of knowing they will almost always be open because of their skill and Reid's play calling.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

Mahomes is kind of another breed of QB to me. He can do most things pretty well but its his outside the pocket skills that make him a special sneeky little bastard. His players jnow to keep getting open and defenses that cant cover more than 5 seconds are burned by him. I think Ds have found ways to limit his broken plays but his elusiveness is still so tough to play against. I dont see another coming along quite like him. Takes a lot of smart playing to beat him but it is possible. Take away his speed and he is going to start to struggle more over time but he just plays at a high level in that offense but has human moments.

Herbie is just a beast of a different type. Not agile like Mahomes but he does so much well early in his career too he is just as much a unicorn as Mahomes.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Part of beating KC is just containing their offense. I think if KC doesn't start moving the ball and score points, you can get them to panic a little bit. If they have some initial success and put points on the board, they keep calm, but you keep them out of the end zone for a couple of drives, they start to press, and will make some mistakes.

When Mahomes starts to press, he really wants to get outside the pocket and that is where he is so incredibly dangerous. So the key is keeping him in the pocket, containing him. But it's tough, because KC is so fast, that it is tough to defend all their speed and you can't double cover them all. And keeping Mahomes in the pocket stretches the defensive zones, giving him lots of holes to put passes into. No defense is going to get rich blitzing Mahomes, but he can read defenses, so you have to blitz some just to mess with his tempo. If he thinks he has time, he will sit and wait for things to happen, so you need to mess with his anticipation of how long plays will last. And when you don't blitz, the DL has to get some pressure when he does hold the ball. You won't get many sacks, but just keeping him off balance will help the secondary.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Resized_Screenshot_20220226-003644_Reddit.jpeg
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X