Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Rivers had a pretty good roster in his early years with Marty and then Norv.
    We had a good, but not a great roster.

Everyone forgets that the passing game was pretty much just Gates. VJ and Floyd were both kicking around, but neither turned into the guys they later became. The year we went to the AFC CG, VJ was mostly a blocker.

By the time the other players developed on O, then the D had slipped, and Floyd and VJ were somewhat limited in some of the routes they ran. We never really had a great quick passing game, it was all about throwing downfield, which is a nice starting point, but we needed to be better against the blitz. And by then the running game was not nearly as good.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

Steelers and Broncos won super bowls.

Chargers and Rivers won nothing.
      Kind of missed the point of the post Einstein.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We had a good, but not a great roster.

Everyone forgets that the passing game was pretty much just Gates. VJ and Floyd were both kicking around, but neither turned into the guys they later became. The year we went to the AFC CG, VJ was mostly a blocker.

By the time the other players developed on O, then the D had slipped, and Floyd and VJ were somewhat limited in some of the routes they ran. We never really had a great quick passing game, it was all about throwing downfield, which is a nice starting point, but we needed to be better against the blitz. And by then the running game was not nearly as good.
          VJ only had 453 yds receiving in 2006, Rivers first year as a starter. The leading WR that season was Eric Parker, whose 659 yds led the WR corps. Jackson and Parker that season combined had less yard receiving than either Keenan Allen or Mike Williams had in 2021. Gates was the No. 1 receiver of course, but his 924 yds receiving in 2006 is still less than Keenan or Mike had in 2021. The real story of the offense early in the Rivers years was not actually Rivers, it was LT of course. The offense ran through LT, and opposing defenses prioritized LT over Rivers. Rivers didn't have a 4000 yard season or throw more than 25 TDs until his third season as a starter.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Reading this week about teams that are unsure about their QB - there are so many of them and again makes me thankful for Herbert. Between the teams that have to replace their QB, have a young QB who is struggling, have a big hole at QB, or a veteran not quite elite QB who they are unsure about, there really are just a few teams who have the QB position locked down. It's not just the bad teams that are struggling with their QB situation. The Colts aren't sure about Wentz; the 49ers invested so much in a young QB who apparently still is not ready while they are desperate to move on from Jimmy GQ, Mayfield looks to be on his way out in Cleveland, Kyler Murray is at odds with the Cardinals, ditto with Russell Wilson in Seattle, Kirk Cousins in Minnesota, etc, etc. There are even questions about Carr in Las Vegans.

Only a handful of teams have an absolute no question franchise QB, when you narrow that down to QBs who are under 27, only four teams have it: The Chiefs, the Bills, the Bengals, the Chargers. And Justin Herbert is the youngest of the group.

I know this has already been said, but it is worth repeating again and again. I just hope the franchise can build and maintain a quality team around Herbert in the coming seasons.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Reading this week about teams that are unsure about their QB - there are so many of them and again makes me thankful for Herbert. Between the teams that have to replace their QB, have a young QB who is struggling, have a big hole at QB, or a veteran not quite elite QB who they are unsure about, there really are just a few teams who have the QB position locked down. It's not just the bad teams that are struggling with their QB situation. The Colts aren't sure about Wentz; the 49ers invested so much in a young QB who apparently still is not ready while they are desperate to move on from Jimmy GQ, Mayfield looks to be on his way out in Cleveland, Kyler Murray is at odds with the Cardinals, ditto with Russell Wilson in Seattle, Kirk Cousins in Minnesota, etc, etc. There are even questions about Carr in Las Vegans.

Only a handful of teams have an absolute no question franchise QB, when you narrow that down to QBs who are under 27, only four teams have it: The Chiefs, the Bills, the Bengals, the Chargers. And Justin Herbert is the youngest of the group.

I know this has already been said, but it is worth repeating again and again. I just hope the franchise can build and maintain a quality team around Herbert in the coming seasons.
              Drinkin it!

:koolaid:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Looking back, Hebert nailed the combine.

Dolphins In Depth

Justin Herbert nails on-field drills at NFL Combine except for this notable flaw

By Armando Salguero Columnist

Updated February 28, 2020 4:26 PM

Dolphins GM Chris Grier says they are building for the long term success

Miami Dolphins GM Chris Grier said on Sept. 17, 2019 that they are building for the long term success after roster moves, trades and a couple big losses. By CHARLES TRAINOR JR

The headband threw me for a bit of a loop. I’ll start there because otherwise this space would read like a Justin Herbert love letter.

So, yeah, the headband bothered me. It reminded me of 2013 Mark Sanchez.

And I get it: Sanchez was a West Coast kid with something of a chill vibe. And Herbert is a West Coast kid. And maybe he has a chill vibe.

But I have doubts about chill vibes from prospective face of the franchise QBs. And I don’t want 2013 Mark Sanchez on the Miami Dolphins.

So when Daniel Jeremiah, the NFL Network’s outstanding draft analyst, called Herbert a “tricky evaluation,” I was thinking about that horrible headband.

But, seriously now, I sure wasn’t thinking about what Herbert did on the field at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Thursday evening.

Because Herbert’s performance was very, very good.

So what does this mean?

The Miami Dolphins are seriously interested in Justin Herbert, as I’ve reported. They came to Indianapolis weighing Tua Tagovailoa against Herbert and open to leaning toward Herbert. And although it’s impossible to know how Herbert and Tagovailoa performed in their formal meetings with the Dolphins, we know how Herbert performed on the field as Dan Marino and others watched him throw from the team’s suite.

And that performance — imperfect in that it did not show him against a pass rush and did not have him in pads and did not show him leading an offense — will obviously help Herbert’s case to become the No. 5 overall selection to Miami during the April NFL Draft.

It didn’t start out that way. Herbert’s first throw on a slant was low and not precisely on time.

“A lot of times when you watch Herbert throw, it’s almost like he’s aiming,” NFL analyst and Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner said.

And yet Herbert completed all his slants. And all his post pattern throws.

I could only watch this on television because I was flying home from Indy at the time. (Combine note: South Florida February weather > Indianapolis February weather). So I could not see the Herbert’s footwork on most of his throws because mostly the camera followed the football downfield.

But the result of the passes was quite good.

Post-corner routes? Dimes.

Go routes? Dimes.

“Normally we talk about 42 to 44 [yards] on these go routes,” Warner said. “He’s letting it go a little bit farther than that to show off a little bit -- but with nice air and nice touch so these guys can run underneath it.”

Former Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens receiver Steve Smith chimed in, “I’ve seen him do this before when he was beating Utah.”

Smith attended Utah and obviously remains faithful to his school.

Herbert’s velocity drill delivered a 60 MPH throw. The top velocity in his group belonged to Jacob Eason at 62 MPH.

Hitch routes? This drill is about timing and the quarterback should release the ball before the receiver makes his cut. Herbert was fine, but it would have been nice to see him anticipate a little more.

More deep throws? Herbert was on fire with his deep passes.

“He’s throwing it well,” Jeremiah said.

Warner explained the deep passes could actually be easier throws for quarterbacks with big arms because their footwork, which Warner said “wasn’t necessarily great,” played less of a factor in the timing of the passes. The quarterbacks with big arms could “catch up on the stuff down the field,” Warner added.

The end zone fade is a new drill at the Combine this year. The ball is supposed to get to the back pylon. The drill was messy for most of the quarterbacks in that placement was bad or timing was bad or the receivers were running poor routes.

But overall Herbert’s placement near the pylon was as good or better as anyone else’s.

It is clear the Dolphins want an athletic quarterback to operate offensive coordinator Chan Gailey run-pass option. Herbert proved he is obviously that.

He ran a 4.68 official time in the 40-yard dash compared to 4.74 for Jordan Love. He turned in a 35.5-inch vertical leap which was a half-inch higher than Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts. And he had a 10-3 broad jump which trailed only Hurts and Missouri’s Kelly Bryant, each of whom jumped 10-5.

“It was a good throwing session for Justin Herbert,” Jeremiah said.

True.

But the headband? Lose the Mark Sanchez look, kid.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Looking back, Hebert nailed the combine.

Dolphins In Depth

Justin Herbert nails on-field drills at NFL Combine except for this notable flaw

By Armando Salguero Columnist

Updated February 28, 2020 4:26 PM

Dolphins GM Chris Grier says they are building for the long term success

Miami Dolphins GM Chris Grier said on Sept. 17, 2019 that they are building for the long term success after roster moves, trades and a couple big losses. By CHARLES TRAINOR JR

The headband threw me for a bit of a loop. I’ll start there because otherwise this space would read like a Justin Herbert love letter.

So, yeah, the headband bothered me. It reminded me of 2013 Mark Sanchez.

And I get it: Sanchez was a West Coast kid with something of a chill vibe. And Herbert is a West Coast kid. And maybe he has a chill vibe.

But I have doubts about chill vibes from prospective face of the franchise QBs. And I don’t want 2013 Mark Sanchez on the Miami Dolphins.

So when Daniel Jeremiah, the NFL Network’s outstanding draft analyst, called Herbert a “tricky evaluation,” I was thinking about that horrible headband.

But, seriously now, I sure wasn’t thinking about what Herbert did on the field at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Thursday evening.

Because Herbert’s performance was very, very good.

So what does this mean?

The Miami Dolphins are seriously interested in Justin Herbert, as I’ve reported. They came to Indianapolis weighing Tua Tagovailoa against Herbert and open to leaning toward Herbert. And although it’s impossible to know how Herbert and Tagovailoa performed in their formal meetings with the Dolphins, we know how Herbert performed on the field as Dan Marino and others watched him throw from the team’s suite.

And that performance — imperfect in that it did not show him against a pass rush and did not have him in pads and did not show him leading an offense — will obviously help Herbert’s case to become the No. 5 overall selection to Miami during the April NFL Draft.

It didn’t start out that way. Herbert’s first throw on a slant was low and not precisely on time.

“A lot of times when you watch Herbert throw, it’s almost like he’s aiming,” NFL analyst and Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner said.

And yet Herbert completed all his slants. And all his post pattern throws.

I could only watch this on television because I was flying home from Indy at the time. (Combine note: South Florida February weather > Indianapolis February weather). So I could not see the Herbert’s footwork on most of his throws because mostly the camera followed the football downfield.

But the result of the passes was quite good.

Post-corner routes? Dimes.

Go routes? Dimes.

“Normally we talk about 42 to 44 [yards] on these go routes,” Warner said. “He’s letting it go a little bit farther than that to show off a little bit -- but with nice air and nice touch so these guys can run underneath it.”

Former Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens receiver Steve Smith chimed in, “I’ve seen him do this before when he was beating Utah.”

Smith attended Utah and obviously remains faithful to his school.

Herbert’s velocity drill delivered a 60 MPH throw. The top velocity in his group belonged to Jacob Eason at 62 MPH.

Hitch routes? This drill is about timing and the quarterback should release the ball before the receiver makes his cut. Herbert was fine, but it would have been nice to see him anticipate a little more.

More deep throws? Herbert was on fire with his deep passes.

“He’s throwing it well,” Jeremiah said.

Warner explained the deep passes could actually be easier throws for quarterbacks with big arms because their footwork, which Warner said “wasn’t necessarily great,” played less of a factor in the timing of the passes. The quarterbacks with big arms could “catch up on the stuff down the field,” Warner added.

The end zone fade is a new drill at the Combine this year. The ball is supposed to get to the back pylon. The drill was messy for most of the quarterbacks in that placement was bad or timing was bad or the receivers were running poor routes.

But overall Herbert’s placement near the pylon was as good or better as anyone else’s.

It is clear the Dolphins want an athletic quarterback to operate offensive coordinator Chan Gailey run-pass option. Herbert proved he is obviously that.

He ran a 4.68 official time in the 40-yard dash compared to 4.74 for Jordan Love. He turned in a 35.5-inch vertical leap which was a half-inch higher than Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts. And he had a 10-3 broad jump which trailed only Hurts and Missouri’s Kelly Bryant, each of whom jumped 10-5.

“It was a good throwing session for Justin Herbert,” Jeremiah said.

True.

But the headband? Lose the Mark Sanchez look, kid.
                  Wow those first comments are amateur coments. A headband bothered him? How is that guy working for an NFL team?

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Wow those first comments are amateur coments. A headband bothered him? How is that guy working for an NFL team?
                    I don't think Jeremiah had him in his top 25. So that headband really bothered him. And Herbert's skills were outstanding at that workout. Speed, accuracy, 60mph arm, but the headband...
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I don't think Jeremiah had him in his top 25. So that headband really bothered him. And Herbert's skills were outstanding at that workout. Speed, accuracy, 60mph arm, but the headband...
                      That analysis wasn't by Jeremiah.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

That analysis wasn't by Jeremiah.
                        No, but he was referenced in the story and apparently wasn't completely sold on Herbert.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

No, but he was referenced in the story and apparently wasn't completely sold on Herbert.
                          Wasn't Jeremiah at all who just said Herbert was a tricky evaluation. It was Miami Dolphins GM Chris Grier. The NFL GM we need to thank for such amateurish thoughts on a prospect you read in comments on Twitter and sometimes in forums lol.

Congratulations to him, he got Tua instead and has 3 UDFA RBs ....or maybe one was a 7th and had the worse ground game in the league.

Comment

Working...
                          X