Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Chargers QB Justin Herbert's updated throwing mechanics at OTAs

Juliette Jones

As the Chargers work their way through four weeks of OTAs, we’re seeing some exciting new players stand out and the team culture flourish. Everyone is hungry for kickoff and ready to seek redemption after the previous year’s heartbreaking ending. Over the course of the 2022 season, the Bolts had their struggles; from injuries to the offensive scheme, it wasn’t an easy road to the playoffs – and someone who saw less production because of this was quarterback Justin Herbert.

Since entering the league in 2020, Herbert has stood out among young quarterbacks; touting impressive stat lines, athleticism, and an elite pocket presence. In 2021, he remained one of the top 5 – and more often than not top 2 – quarterbacks in the league in nearly every possible stat. The expectation was that production would continue to increase, but with a rib injury, an injured roster, and a scheme that failed to highlight his best qualities – the production dropped. Yet through these highs and lows in his first 3 years, one thing has been consistent: his throwing mechanics.

For his first three seasons, Herbert’s throwing mechanics was that of a low-release side-arm variety. The side-arm throw is a mechanic that quarterbacks, like Patrick Mahomes use as a means of passing around a defensive player or as a tricky pass when scrambling to the right. We saw Herbert execute many of these passes in 2020 and 2021. Still, the mechanic continued to embed itself into his overall throwing motion in the 2022 season – which could have been a byproduct of his rib injury or just a general coaching strategy on Shane Day’s part. As we continue to watch Herbert in OTAs this summer, we can see a clear change in the way he passes the football. His release is higher, the arc of the pass is lifted, and thankfully the velocity is still of an elite caliber.

This is very good news for Chargers fans this coming season. With a healthy wide receiver corps to work with and an exciting new scheme from offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, the uptick in Herbert’s production should be highly noticeable. At 6-foot-6, Herbert stands tall behind his offensive line but struggled with batted balls because of his lower release and a more predictable offense in 2022. The high release should limit the amount of batted balls we see this coming season since the release point of his passes will come close to reaching eight feet above the ground – much too high for most defensive linemen to get a hand on. On top of this, Moore’s projected offensive scheme will allow Herbert to uncork deeper passes in a more complex playbook which will increase his yards per play as well as allow his new high release point to hit that 8-foot maximum as frequently as possible.

Almost every elite quarterback we see in the NFL ends up working on their mechanics, ultimately increasing their success likelihood and their stat line. We saw this happen when Josh Allen had the opportunity to focus on his mechanics with now Giants head coach Brian Daboll. Immediately after working on his mechanics, Allen was executing MVP-level seasons and leading his team to the playoffs year in and year out. Daboll continued this quarterback success by elevating the mechanics and production of Daniel Jones in 2022. This type of work bodes well for the future of Herbert and the team as a whole for seasons to come.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think Simms git it mostly right. Neither of them seemed to remember that Herbert was playing with a fractured rib for most of 2022 and how that impacted his stats. Simms was content to blame that on Lombardi's offense.

He did say what Keenan and Ekeler have hinted at and danced around recently. The machine needs a little magic.
      OC Moore and QB coach Nussmeier project well to address that. Correcting his throwing motion was only a footnote. Taking command in the huddle is an essential component of controlling game tempo and player confidence. Be the leader and wear it for better or worse.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think Simms git it mostly right. Neither of them seemed to remember that Herbert was playing with a fractured rib for most of 2022 and how that impacted his stats. Simms was content to blame that on Lombardi's offense.

He did say what Keenan and Ekeler have hinted at and danced around recently. The machine needs a little magic.
        Simms wouldn't have a real way to assess the bolded, imo this is exactly how a narrative multiples, from a few "harmless comments" from supposed supporters.
        So now, Herbert's natural personality is a negative because he doesn't meet Keenan and Eke's threshold of assertiveness based on their experience with Phil.
        I'm not even disagreeing, but teammates shouldn't HELP the media propagate and exaggerate a negative narrative.
        Can't wait until we evolve past these guys on offense, it'll be a tall task but Herbert has a bright future with or without both KA and eke.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Simms wouldn't have a real way to assess the bolded, imo this is exactly how a narrative multiples, from a few "harmless comments" from supposed supporters.
          So now, Herbert's natural personality is a negative because he doesn't meet Keenan and Eke's threshold of assertiveness based on their experience with Phil.
          I'm not even disagreeing, but teammates shouldn't HELP the media propagate and exaggerate a negative narrative.
          Can't wait until we evolve past these guys on offense, it'll be a tall task but Herbert has a bright future with or without both KA and eke.
          Maybe they're providing a not so subtle 'push'? One they believe might be needed?

I believe Herbert will develop more assertiveness (in his own way) this year as a result of simple experience, and as a result of Moore giving him moore responsibility!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Maybe they're providing a not so subtle 'push'? One they believe might be needed?

I believe Herbert will develop more assertiveness (in his own way) this year as a result of simple experience, and as a result of Moore giving him moore responsibility!!
            I think your toned down view is exactly right. I’d go a step further. I believe with certainty that Herbie will continue to improve. I fully expect 2023 will be his best year ever.

But I have no idea that means “more assertive” or if more assertive would even make him a better player. the irony is that nobody does, no one can know that changing his personality would make him better. Just because more assertive worked for another QB doesn’t mean it will for him - for all anyone knows it could fuck him up and make him worse. Maybe the humble modest grace he displays is integral to what makes him great? Maybe pushing him be assertive in a way thats not comfortable would create internal thinking or pressure in his mind in real time during plays that disrupts or slows down his processing of actual football information and reduces his performance. Who the fuck knows?

Nobody knows. People should be careful what they ask for. Not one person on this planet can know that changing his personality will make him a better player. If he decides he should be and feels it, he will. Otherwise, id leave him alone.

For 2023, He’s got plenty to do to install the brand new offense, integrate some new players, and get to the level of professional QB efficiency with it. Changing his personality at the same time should not be a focus imo, his personality is fine and we don’t know what a change would even do.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Screenshot_20230612-185226_Instagram.jpg

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

They need to push the Defense and its Coordinator.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                  That is a pretty sobering stat.

Comment

• colorado
                    Fan since '62
                    • Jun 2023
                    • Desert Rat
                    • Nothing but time on my hands
                    • Send PM

I was thumbing through some posts on the Denver donks forumthe other night, they wish they had Herbert. .

Comment

• colorado
                      Fan since '62
                      • Jun 2023
                      • Desert Rat
                      • Nothing but time on my hands
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think your toned down view is exactly right. I’d go a step further. I believe with certainty that Herbie will continue to improve. I fully expect 2023 will be his best year ever.

But I have no idea that means “more assertive” or if more assertive would even make him a better player. the irony is that nobody does, no one can know that changing his personality would make him better. Just because more assertive worked for another QB doesn’t mean it will for him - for all anyone knows it could fuck him up and make him worse. Maybe the humble modest grace he displays is integral to what makes him great? Maybe pushing him be assertive in a way thats not comfortable would create internal thinking or pressure in his mind in real time during plays that disrupts or slows down his processing of actual football information and reduces his performance. Who the fuck knows?

Nobody knows. People should be careful what they ask for. Not one person on this planet can know that changing his personality will make him a better player. If he decides he should be and feels it, he will. Otherwise, id leave him alone.

For 2023, He’s got plenty to do to install the brand new offense, integrate some new players, and get to the level of professional QB efficiency with it. Changing his personality at the same time should not be a focus imo, his personality is fine and we don’t know what a change would even do.
                      If it's not broke, don't fix it

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post
                        I was thumbing through some posts on the Denver donks forumthe other night, they wish they had Herbert. .
                        Fuck them.

Herbie has Slater back this year. Love what the kid did last year but having Slater back is big. That sucked when he went down and he knew it right away.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

More BS.
                          Now he's not a leader because he "hates the media" and the proof is this 10 second clip of him looking grumpy before an interview with no context.

Some fans are just reaaaally jealous.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Working...
                          X