• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    For his first three seasons, Herbert’s throwing mechanics was that of a low-release side-arm variety. The side-arm throw is a mechanic that quarterbacks, like Patrick Mahomes use as a means of passing around a defensive player or as a tricky pass when scrambling to the right. We saw Herbert execute many of these passes in 2020 and 2021. Still, the mechanic continued to embed itself into his overall throwing motion in the 2022 season – which could have been a byproduct of his rib injury or just a general coaching strategy on Shane Day’s part. As we continue to watch Herbert in OTAs this summer, we can see a clear change in the way he passes the football. His release is higher, the arc of the pass is lifted, and thankfully the velocity is still of an elite caliber.

This is very good news for Chargers fans this coming season. With a healthy wide receiver corps to work with and an exciting new scheme from offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, the uptick in Herbert’s production should be highly noticeable. At 6-foot-6, Herbert stands tall behind his offensive line but struggled with batted balls because of his lower release and a more predictable offense in 2022. The high release should limit the amount of batted balls we see this coming season since the release point of his passes will come close to reaching eight feet above the ground – much too high for most defensive linemen to get a hand on. On top of this, Moore’s projected offensive scheme will allow Herbert to uncork deeper passes in a more complex playbook which will increase his yards per play as well as allow his new high release point to hit that 8-foot maximum as frequently as possible.
    Good news. Also, with Moore dialing up more intermediate passes and long balls, the arc with that higher release point should be even higher--and hence less batted balls...also, those 5-yd. predictable stick patterns Lombo repeatedly dialed up, should be reduced quite a bit...with a wider variety of patterns being dialed up, D-linemen will not be able to bat down as many of those predictable stick throws...

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Link dont work for what you want us to see. At least for me it doesnt.

EDIT ....worked on tablet.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-18-2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

I watched Herbert's highlights last night and started thinking about his horrific Depth of Target regressing to being so low.

With Lombari coaching him the first 2 seasons what would cause such a radical change in philosophy from one year to another?

My ONLY conclusion is Lombardi was trying to protect Herbert's ribs by shortening the game with quick releases to make sure he's not taking any more damage.

Because he was dialing up the long ball frequently JH's rookie year and 2nd year. It's mind boggling to all of us with this sudden change in direction last year. It was obvious to all of as well. We became a dink n dunk team. Why? Lombardi really just had a paradigm shift in his coaching/playcalling? It really is a strange situation if you think abou it.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
            I watched Herbert's highlights last night and started thinking about his horrific Depth of Target regressing to being so low.

With Lombari coaching him the first 2 seasons what would cause such a radical change in philosophy from one year to another?

My ONLY conclusion is Lombardi was trying to protect Herbert's ribs by shortening the game with quick releases to make sure he's not taking any more damage.

Because he was dialing up the long ball frequently JH's rookie year and 2nd year. It's mind boggling to all of us with this sudden change in direction last year. It was obvious to all of as well. We became a dink n dunk team. Why? Lombardi really just had a paradigm shift in his coaching/playcalling? It really is a strange situation if you think abou it.
            Horrific. Radical. Mind boggling. Paradigm shift.Drama Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Steichen was Herbert's OC in his first year. I do agree that they were protecting Herbert and some of that may have been Herbert protecting himself by checking down, though he does not seem to be afraid of hanging onto the ball until the last minute even if it means taking a shot. I think Lombardi's hands were tied a lot last year with Herbert's ribs and then labrum, along with injuries to the line and especially the WR corp. But while not all his fault, I'm glad we moved on and expect a more aggressive offense this year.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Steichen was Herbert's OC in his first year. I do agree that they were protecting Herbert and some of that may have been Herbert protecting himself by checking down, though he does not seem to be afraid of hanging onto the ball until the last minute even if it means taking a shot. I think Lombardi's hands were tied a lot last year with Herbert's ribs and then labrum, along with injuries to the line and especially the WR corp. But while not all his fault, I'm glad we moved on and expect a more aggressive offense this year.
                Oh after last year Lombardi's play calling had me pulling my hair out. So glad we moved on quickly. I think we're going to see a very aggressive offense under Moore's watch, and I am so stoked to see it.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Who has the strongest arm among starting QBs in the NFL, Herbert or Allen? Not taking away anything from Mahomes, he may be the best QB in the league but in terms of pure arm strength he's a notch below Herbert/Allen.

How's this for a prediction? Herbert v. Allen in the AFC Championship game after they eliminate Mahomes and Burrow (without predicting who plays who) in the Divisional Round.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Lombardi wasn't horrible and was trying to protect Herbert IMO. Moore is another level active and aggressive. My tea leaves say that we're gunning for #1 on scoring offense. (not a tough read)

Comment

• NashBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Lombardi wasn't horrible and was trying to protect Herbert IMO. Moore is another level active and aggressive. My tea leaves say that we're gunning for #1 on scoring offense. (not a tough read)
                      I'll sip that tea ! Year of The Flip ! Bolt Up !

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        My tea leaves say that we're gunning for #1 on scoring offense.
                        As long as injuries don't decimate the WR and or OL corps, this is entirely possible. It's not a pipe dream by any stretch.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

This fan site writer who writes about the Vikings says Herbert is a candidate to replace Kirk Cousins in Minn next season. https://thevikingage.com/posts/veter...cousins-2024/5

Comment

Working...
                          X