• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I'm happy to get Herbert but I sure don't want to downgrade Burrows. He had a great season and it wasn't because he has some great receivers. Play after play he threw passes right where they needed to be. I don't believe he'll be a bust, he's just to accurate to be a bust.
    And where was that accuracy the rest of his career? To say that having 3 wrs that will be firdt rd picks, a first rd RB and drafted TE and entire oline is not an advantage for a qb compared to one that had 0 drafted skill positions is illogical. The new scheme helped, and the huge takent advantage sure helped as well.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      And where was that accuracy the rest of his career? To say that having 3 wrs that will be firdt rd picks, a first rd RB and drafted TE and entire oline is not an advantage for a qb compared to one that had 0 drafted skill positions is illogical. The new scheme helped, and the huge takent advantage sure helped as well.
      There is no doubt the talent around a QB helps them. Burrow was really good but you mention that LSU team -- on offense it was stacked. Cushenberry, Helaire, Justin Jefferson, Moss and the best WR wasn't draft eligible. So much more talent around Burrow than Herbert.

Herbert has the physical traits - no doubt. But can he work on the other aspects to become a good NFL QB. Steichen and Scherer have a boat load of work to do. This is why I wanted them to hire Jim Caldwell as QB Coach - just another mentor to be on Herbert all day.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

I can't even grade my daughters 10th grade math papers, so I won't grade the draft. I'll just say I like that we got our potential franchise qb, I like that we have a potential leader at middle linebacker. Day one was sweet. Much better than Simmon and Love when all said and done.

No lineman is the only thing I didn't like. You can tell me some of the guys coming out are more talented than the ones we have.

Drafts to me are all about the impact players year one. Later round picks are for depth and groomed to contribute in year 2 and 3. Just like I expect White to step up, Adderley to play, Tranquil to continue to grow,Tillery getting love....

If coach Lynn thinks this is the best draft we have had, then that's what it is. I believe in Lynn. So I like it too.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Re: OL
          I have to believe that:
          a) Campen has reviewed the LAC OL tape, Norton XFL tape + Bulaga, Turner, Pouncey, spoken with the players & coaches for @ two months and believes he can move forward in 2020 with a respectable OL product
          or:
          b) Telesco has an OL move up his sleeve
          or:
          c) both.
          I'm just going with the flow personally. I can't bring myself to believe that TT & Lynn are willing to accept another stinker OL performance and/or don't know what they're doing.

Comment

• PR#1
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Nice post.

Sounds like these guys have never heard of Jay Schroeder.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Pls enlighten on the misunderstanding.i watched him play his first year at LSU. He was not very good with a lot of talent, amybe srunk was a litgle harsh, but nit much. New OC comes in from Saints and uses the talent to go spread out and take advantage. Not sure in the NFL he will have that athletic advantage.
              He was playing in an archaic system his first year. He did okay given the circumstances. And yes, it did help that Joe Brady brought an NFL offense to LSU, the same one that Payton uses in NO. It shows that Burrows could play at that level. What is impressive about Burrows and why he's rightfully the #1 draft pick are several things:
              1) The way he mentally processes the defense before and after the snap.
              2) The way he uses his feet to move inside the pocket to buy time when there's pressure, always keeping his eyes downfield
              3) His accuracy and anticipation throws remind me of Rivers. And like Rivers, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he knows where to go to hit his receivers before they're open. This is something that Herbert will need to work on.
              4) And that he is athletic to still use his legs when all else fails.

The first three are something that Herbert needs to be better at for him to succeed as well. Does this mean that Burrow's a future HOF and Herbert is not? Absolutely not. Like anything else, you're using past data to project the future. You still feel good about what's there and that's why Burrow is the #1 overall pick and for good reason. But just like Andrew Luck was a can't miss prospect whose career was ultimately disappointing (good but not great), there's always a lot of things that need to go right. Herbert will succeed if he gets the right coaching. I'm not worried about the work ethic part but the Chargers need to get this right.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Lamp has not played in 3 years and now gets a 4th year, 2nd rounder salary. Thats a lot. He needs to significantly outperform the younger, cheaper guys just to keep his job. The team would save at least a million by replacing him as a backup with a younger guy. Flat out, he needs to be a starter this year.
                For the first time, TT has mentioned Forrest Lamp as in the hunt at OLT.

We will find out if the the unfortunate injuries have derailed his career,
                or if we ought to offer Lamp a new contract.

The Trenchers really should stop digging themselves a hole and making it deeper.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

For the first time, TT has mentioned Forrest Lamp as in the hunt at OLT.

We will find out if the the unfortunate injuries have derailed his career,
                  or if we ought to offer Lamp a new contract.

The Trenchers really should stop digging themselves a hole and making it deeper.
                  I’m not betting on Lamp to ever do anything. I welcome him surprising me. He has never been able to beat out a mediocre OG, with two mediocre OGs starting on the same line. Why he’d now Suddenly flourish into a OLT ... well, color me delightfully surprised if that ever happens but if I was GM and that was my team strategy - i should be fired.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’m not betting on Lamp to ever do anything. I welcome him surprising me. He has never been able to beat out a mediocre OG, with two mediocre OGs starting on the same line. Why he’d now Suddenly flourish into a OLT ... well, color me delightfully surprised if that ever happens but if I was GM and that was my team strategy - i should be fired.
                    This is Lamp's last chance.
                    The only position open is OLT.
                    We just passed on Becton, Josh Jones, Niang, Peart, all the draftable OLTs anyone can mention.
                    I don't need trifocals to read these tea leaves.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Discouraging hearing them say they might try Lamp at OLT.
                      Total incompetence how they handled have handled him so far.

Should have kept him on the left side to start off: whether guard or tackle.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He was playing in an archaic system his first year. He did okay given the circumstances. And yes, it did help that Joe Brady brought an NFL offense to LSU, the same one that Payton uses in NO. It shows that Burrows could play at that level. What is impressive about Burrows and why he's rightfully the #1 draft pick are several things:
                        1) The way he mentally processes the defense before and after the snap.
                        2) The way he uses his feet to move inside the pocket to buy time when there's pressure, always keeping his eyes downfield
                        3) His accuracy and anticipation throws remind me of Rivers. And like Rivers, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he knows where to go to hit his receivers before they're open. This is something that Herbert will need to work on.
                        4) And that he is athletic to still use his legs when all else fails.

The first three are something that Herbert needs to be better at for him to succeed as well. Does this mean that Burrow's a future HOF and Herbert is not? Absolutely not. Like anything else, you're using past data to project the future. You still feel good about what's there and that's why Burrow is the #1 overall pick and for good reason. But just like Andrew Luck was a can't miss prospect whose career was ultimately disappointing (good but not great), there's always a lot of things that need to go right. Herbert will succeed if he gets the right coaching. I'm not worried about the work ethic part but the Chargers need to get this right.
                        i agree he exhibited all of that last season, but he also had a team litterd with future pros often playing against guys who will never play on Sunday. That advantage is gone next year. We shall see how he does. the complete offensive overhaul also helped in that teams couldn't prepare for what they had not seen before. Their OC was the biggest factor in his explosion. He underwhelmed at ohio state (not archaic system) and was not very good yr 1 at LSU. I doubt he will be in that system going forward ao we shall see how he adjusts to a more even talent matchups and the offense he will be running.

my point is not that i think he WILL be a bust, only that it is greater than many realize, while many scream bust about Herbert and he literally played with scrubs.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

This is Lamp's last chance.
                          The only position open is OLT.
                          We just passed on Becton, Josh Jones, Niang, Peart, all the draftable OLTs anyone can mention.
                          I don't need trifocals to read these tea leaves.
                          I think Lamp and Feeney will battle it out at OG. Pipkins or a vet brought in at OLT.

Comment

Working...
                          X