Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

If that’s our draft I’ll drink kool-aid with vodka, and I don’t even drink. Might need a few bong hits just to settle down.

Of course I’d also be happy with:

4. Sewell
    77. Janarius Robinson
    97. Cisco
    118. St-Juste
    159. Hainsey
    185. Ball
    198. Davidson
    241. Stuard

Theres a lot of good combos to be had.
    I don’t drink either but will join you in :rasta: anytime.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Nflballer4life View Post
      Ok gentleman. I do a lot of reading on this forum but rarely ever post. And yet, now, the time has come. Feel this needs to be said.. (cue the drama).

We NEED to trade up for Sewell. Simple as that. Here's why:

1) Our top needs are OT + CB. We will need to hit on drafting starters for these two positions. Every other position we have "good enough" or can get good enough later. For these we need a definitive "hit". How would our team be if we drafted for these positions, but didn't hit? Not such a crazy scenario with TT.. This is the crux of my argument.

2) We have to go OT in the first, since it is not certain we will get a serviceable starting LT in the 2nd. Could an OT fall to us in the 2nd? Maybe. If the cards all line up and we're lucky. Could one of them be a starting LT? Maybe. Even then, none of them are a sure enough option the way Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw are. Is it really worth taking that chance?
      This is certainly not the case by CB where there will be good enough starting prospects in the 2nd.

3) If Slater was there at 13, then that would be my ideal choice. Yet, after the Jets-Panthers trade this is no longer a dependable possibility / too big of a risk. We're lucky to have the option of Darrisaw then.

4) Darrisaw, while I consider a strong enough prospect to draft as starting LT for our team, still has question marks imo. Not even everyone sees him as top #3 or #4 OT in the draft. You could argue that he is strong enough to be worth the risk, yet even so he is certainly not great value at #13. For us to take him at #13 this would mean we would have to forego one of the top receivers, who are clearly better prospects. While it'd be tough for me to choose Slater over Waddle - I would be very torn - it's understandable. You would have to be really stupid/desperate to draft Darrisaw over Waddle. In any case, the last thing we want is to select a WR, only to then push our OT/CB needs down one more round. Our chances of finding starters for both LT & CB positions are then slim to none. Remember, every other position we are good enough. In this very likely situation, we're left with either terrible value or not hitting on starters.

5) Slater is a wonderful prospect (might even be better than Sewell in some capacities), but I would never trade up for him. He is not worth giving up picks in this year's draft class.

6) So why don't we trade down?..
      And get who? We still have the same issue. Sure you receive good value in terms of picks, but is it really a strong likelihood we will "hit" on a starting LT? And say we do, is that extra pick, really worth giving up for a surefire (let alone potentially generational) talent in Sewell? Honestly, our other needs outside of LT and CB aren't that desperate. Can we get strong talent added to those positions? Sure. But if we don't, we'll still be alright supplementing through rest of the draft / FA.

7) So why not trade down and then trade back up in the first?
      The only way I see this as worthwhile is if we draft Darrisaw lower and then come back up in the first for a CB like Farley. That would be a solution that I would certainly get behind. Yet this is not a gameplan you can guarantee. It is a risk and if you're not afforded the opportunity to make both these selections you're screwed. It is not certain that these players will be available. What then? There is no viable/worthwhile-of-risk contingency plan.

8) All in all, if we come away crystal clear that we selected our starting OT and CB for the next 4-5 years (not to mention at least one a home-run pick), for me, we can miss on everything else, and I would still rate this draft as a (good enough) success.

Click here for a recent article examining the cost of trading up for Sewell: https://boltbeat.com/2021/04/05/la-c...-penei-sewell/

I'm happy trading: '21 first, '21 third, '22 first, and even '22 third or fourth '22 to Falcons for #4 and that security.

If we do well this year, those picks won't be as valuable. There is no guarantee we will hit on a premiere, let alone surefire prospect in the mid-late 1st round '22 draft. Secondly, do you really trust TT and crew to hit on all those picks? Thirdly, the cap will be going up in the coming years, making FA more of an option to round out our team rather than needing to rely on draft moreso to save space. We have the luxury of having a rookie qb contract allowing us to do this even more.

The opportunity is now! #boltup
      Ahhh yes...i love this. New members with football takes. Good stuff. Thanks for the quality work.

And as always...welcome to the Blues family.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Masterful.........

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I don’t think we’ll ever be this close to an LT prospect like PS again during the Herbert window
          simply because there likely won’t be one like him and if there is, we’ll be picking in the 20s range
          Just pay the damn piper once and we can trade down every year after to make the anti-trenchers happy

I want Duck Pancakes dammit
          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            Masterful.........

Sewell said he has been talking to Chargers...... also heard ATL is looking to trade the 4th pick which is right after top 3 picks are used on QB's..... what would price be? picks? players?.... probably too high..... but if Sewell is a pro bowler for a decade or more then its worth it......

Question is..... TT had Bosa rated as the number one overall pick in his draft.......does he also have Sewell as the top non-QB in this draft???

Comment

• Boltsfan70
              East Coast Chargers Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
              • Send PM

I'm happy trading: '21 first, '21 third, '22 first, and even '22 third or fourth '22 to Falcons for #4 and that security.

i would be fine with this also

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltsfan70 View Post

i would be fine with this also
                I would give away future picks to give away less this year....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Ahhh yes...i love this. New members with football takes. Good stuff. Thanks for the quality work.

And as always...welcome to the Blues family.
                  Who is this guy ?

:bertstare:
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    If we trade #13, #47, and a 2022 R1 for #4, I can (realistically) see this year’s draft going like...

4–Penei Sewell, T
                    77–Pauson Adebo, CB
                    97–Elerson Smith, EDGE
                    118–Tanaloa Hufanga, S
                    159–John Bates, TE
                    185–Robert Jones, G
                    198–Tommy Doyle, OT
                    241–Avery Williams, NCB, ST

Not too shabby.
                    Gold. Jerry. Gold.

Elerson's transformation changes everything...a much needed Bosa understudy.

I am warming back up to Adebo.
                    He's a long strider ball hawk.
                    Actually, StaleyD will leave outside guys on islands.
                    The double coverage comes over the middle.

I'll stop there.
                    Second mock in this series is nice too, Dude !
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• DragonIce
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Arizona
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

How much depth can any team have? They in effect played the entire year missing two starters in the interior, then lost both starting offensive tackles, one in the AFC championship game. Their line still played pretty well all year until the super bowl. I would say they showed a lot of depth throughout the year, it just caught up to them in the end.
                      You want three good tackles and four good players for interior. Probably another serviceable guy with positional flex.

That's a bigger priority than having the *VERY BEST* tackle.

O-line is about cohesion and avoiding "the weakest link" scenario.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Sewell said he has been talking to Chargers...... also heard ATL is looking to trade the 4th pick which is right after top 3 picks are used on QB's..... what would price be? picks? players?.... probably too high..... but if Sewell is a pro bowler for a decade or more then its worth it......

Question is..... TT had Bosa rated as the number one overall pick in his draft.......does he also have Sewell as the top non-QB in this draft???
                        Sewell has not only multiple pro-bowls in his future but multiple all-pro seasons as well, IMO.

I certainly hope he does!

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Gold. Jerry. Gold.

Elerson's transformation changes everything...a much needed Bosa understudy.

I am warming back up to Adebo.
                          He's a long strider ball hawk.
                          Actually, StaleyD will leave outside guys on islands.
                          The double coverage comes over the middle.

I'll stop there.
                          Second mock in this series is nice too, Dude !
                          Couple of real solid gold nuggets right there, wood.
                          I concur.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X