• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    And I'll be clear Darrisaw is not my first choice for our pick. I think our choice is going to be highly dependent on what happens before us. However people crapping on him yet overlooking his tremendous growth, experience vs high level edge players, improvement, size, balance and footwork in my opinion can't see theb the forest for the trees. I would think our new assistant line coach who comes from Pittsburgh will turn him into an absolute stud left tackle. There's something to be said for drafting a man with these physical abilities with this larger chip and shoulder. He was under recruited and now he is going into the draft being underappreciated.

Be that as it may I do think there are a lot of options we can go . I'm just saying I would not be a disappointed if he's the pick.
    A lot of the knocks on Darrishaw remind me roughly of a lot of the knocks against Tristan Wirfs pre-draft last year. No, I'm not saying they have the identical issues, but there was talk of Wirfs's stock falling because of issues like his pass blocking, his technique, being too vertical, hand placement, etc. Well, the Bucs drafted Wirfs #13 overall, and he allowed ONE sack all year long, while helping the Bucs all the way to a SB win. There will always be some issues with each and every prospect. The job of our coaching staff is to watch tape, watch the player's workouts closely, ask the right questions, and to determine if these so-called "issues" are correctable in coaching, or not.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      Just wanted to pause and reflect on how much I’m enjoying this draft process. There’s no shortage of intriguing questions this year and I’ve had a good time unpacking them with y’all.

Here’s some of my favorite bones to pick:

Can Telesco pick a quality o-lineman?
      Trenchers vs. shiny toy enthusiasts.
      How much juice does Staley get in the war room?
      BPA vs. BVA vs. need.
      Will the Bengals go Sewell or Chase?
      Which QB/QBs are busts?
      Which OTs will move to guard?
      How much does arm length matter?
      Pro day inflation numbers?
      How much do bloodlines matter?
      How bad is Farley’s back?
      Who’s OT3?
      Is Walker Little ready after 2 years off?
      Can Sammie small school make it?

Anyways, just wanted to say I’m grateful.
      Regarding Staley's influence pre-draft, on the big board and the war room, I'm thinking TT will REALLY be paying attention to Staley's takes, along with Staley's staff...TT is in the hot seat, and I think he realizes he needs a new set of eyes to opine and help steer him to pick the right players for Staley's system...if not, TT is most probably on the chopping block in 2022...

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A lot of the knocks on Darrishaw remind me roughly of a lot of the knocks against Tristan Wirfs pre-draft last year. No, I'm not saying they have the identical issues, but there was talk of Wirfs's stock falling because of issues like his pass blocking, his technique, being too vertical, hand placement, etc. Well, the Bucs drafted Wirfs #13 overall, and he allowed ONE sack all year long, while helping the Bucs all the way to a SB win. There will always be some issues with each and every prospect. The job of our coaching staff is to watch tape, watch the player's workouts closely, ask the right questions, and to determine if these so-called "issues" are correctable in coaching, or not.
        Agree with this, but most important thing is ability to block out the noise. Don’t get caught up in the flavor of the moment and stick to your tape and prioritize needs. Have funny feeling this isn’t always the case.....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

#Darrisoft
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

There's a pill for that.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              #Darrisoft
              Soft like a grizzly.

#Bearisaw
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Horn ran a 4.39/4.40 (faster than Ramsey) at his pro day. He is primarily a man cover guy.
                Again, my annual rant that 40 time is really not a very good measure of playing speed.

Ramsey simply looks and plays faster, and part of it is he has a lot better technique and gets in better position so he doesn't need to run around as much. Horn has a tendency to get kinda sloppy, gets out of position and then has to run all the way around a player to get back into position. That is a big part of why he commits so many penalties. To sum it up, despite what would appear to be a good 40 time, he is functionally much slower player. The 40 time is lying to you.

I would also argue that if you think there is really an real difference between a 4.39 and a 4.40 you need to go back to math class, because you missed the point.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Intelligence>speed
                  That's it ?

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

Per Zierlein's analysis. While most of his "Strengths" are listed as physically related attributes (I will give him the lack of penalties though), to me, the "Weaknesses" say something else. I would say some of these weaknesses are related to laziness and/or lack of effort. Please see the words 'nonchalant", "let's opp. off the hook" "inconsistent" and even "lazy" which are all used here.

Weaknesses
                    • Play can be much too nonchalant at times.
                    • Inexplicably lets opponents off the hook early rather than finishing them.
                    • Too reliant upon athleticism over technique.
                    • Low hands lead to occasional late punches.
                    • Opens outside hip a little early in his pass slides.
                    • Allows defender into his frame more than he should.
                    • Needs committed power step inside to protect B-gap.
                    • Inconsistent working a firm, accurate outside hand.
                    • Lazy with hand placement on down blocks.
                    • Rushes through secure block on combos.
                    Every one of those complaints applies to guys who have gone on to be good OL in the past. Typically a lot of these are arguments people apply to guys they have a personal grip against.

This is part of the crap that got the A's into moneyball. When I watch some of the games with Darrisaw, I can see some of this, but the rest of them, he is as good or better than a lot of guys who have gone on to be good to great players.

Again, the problem is that great college players are much better athletes than the guys they play against, and simply never need to turn it on.

But those other guys, no matter how much they try, will ever be good enough to play in the NFL, even if they get way better. They just have too far to go.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Regarding Staley's influence pre-draft, on the big board and the war room, I'm thinking TT will REALLY be paying attention to Staley's takes, along with Staley's staff...TT is in the hot seat, and I think he realizes he needs a new set of eyes to opine and help steer him to pick the right players for Staley's system...if not, TT is most probably on the chopping block in 2022...
                      I think what Bolt Dude meant is: will Staley's opinions be important or critical in who Telesco selects.
                      Telesco has valued the input of all coaches & coaching staffs during the drafting process.
                      And how much will Staley push his weight around?

A lot of the past drafts have had a selection by committee approach: Telesco has said so himself.
                      "Who doesn't like Tillery? Do you like Tillery, John?" - yes, i do! "Do you like Tillery, Anthony?" - yes, i do! "Well, i love the guy: a great big, beautiful Goldern Domer...its unanimous!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

Again, my annual rant that 40 time is really not a very good measure of playing speed.

Ramsey simply looks and plays faster, and part of it is he has a lot better technique and gets in better position so he doesn't need to run around as much. Horn has a tendency to get kinda sloppy, gets out of position and then has to run all the way around a player to get back into position. That is a big part of why he commits so many penalties. To sum it up, despite what would appear to be a good 40 time, he is functionally much slower player. The 40 time is lying to you.

I would also argue that if you think there is really an real difference between a 4.39 and a 4.40 you need to go back to math class, because you missed the point.
                        Horn's 40 time has been reported as two different times and so I listed both times that I have read.

I disagree with the analysis you have offered regarding Horn. I think the penalty issue has been wildly overstated in negative commentary about him. I also think Ramsey, while definitely good, is slightly overrated.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think what Bolt Dude meant is: will Staley's opinions be important or critical in who Telesco selects.
                          Telesco has valued the input of all coaches & coaching staffs during the drafting process.
                          And how much will Staley push his weight around?

A lot of the past drafts have had a selection by committee approach: Telesco has said so himself.
                          "Who doesn't like Tillery? Do you like Tillery, John?" - yes, i do! "Do you like Tillery, Anthony?" - yes, i do! "Well, i love the guy: a great big, beautiful Goldern Domer...its unanimous!!!"
                          I think Staley’s a good enough communicator to articulate the types of players his defense needs in order to function. I’m sure he’s on the same page as TT/Spanos regarding high character.

I don’t think he’ll have the juice to straight up veto a pick, but he’ll be able to explain why (or why not) a player will work.

It’s definitely a committee approach, a process involving circuitous dialogue (albeit not as much as this forum), projections, counterclaims, and designated devil’s advocates.

Let’s hope they don’t overthink it.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X