• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I think with Darrisaw you're drafting him at 13 based in part on what he showed this year and in part what he's shown from a trajectory. Then there's the fact that he has physician traits that just aren't common. He's not the guy I'm in love with at 13, but I don't think he lasts much beyond 13 if we pass on him or trade back. Furthermore, I feel more and more confident that Sewell and Slater are both off the board by 11. I don't think Slater makes it past the NYG. They may end up trading back, but we can't count on that. If we want Sewell of Slater, we have to trade up. If we want Darrisaw, we probably have to take him at 13. And while I'm not in love with him at 13, I've come to accept it. Now Darrisaw at 19 or 20, that's a different story.
    Trajectory is a huge factor to consider: is he teachable? For Darrisaw, that answer would be a resounding yes.
    That would be very appealing to Telesco, who mentions that aspect of player evaluation on occasion.

Its coming down to the wire: and the general consensus at #13 is that it will be Darrisaw or Horn (with Parsons somewhere lurking in the background).

No guarantee, of course, that Darrisaw or Horn will be available.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      Interesting. Only 30% that Darrisaw makes it to #13? 50% for Jenkins? How do you see that playing out?

There’s a chance that a team might favor Darrisaw over Slater just because of physical traits, but that would elevate Slater’s odds to more than 20%.

If 3 teams in the top 12 go OT, it’d be CIN, CAR, and DAL. But I can’t see 4 teams taking an OT before us. There’s no way.
      I would wager that Cincy takes Chase. Someone opined that Philly (in need of a receiver for their young qb) moved out of pick #6 in the draft expecting
      Chase to be taken by Cincy. Philly is now currently in the sweet spot for tier 2 receivers.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I am thinking myself into the belief that Darrisaw will be chosen first, before Sewell/Slater.

He has the prototypical traits, the others don't......and that's what keeps GMs up at night, fearing for their jobs.

There is a rule on prototypical LTs and the draft: move them up another 5 - 10 spots in the first round, from where they are projected to go.

On projected day 3 prototypical LTs, move them up a few rounds.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think there's a better chance Slater makes it to 13 than Cosmi makes it to 47. I read a lot of mock drafts and at this point it seems like Slater makes it to us at 13 about 33% of the time and Cosmi getting to 47 is about 20%. Anything can happen and I also think how early Slater goes and if the Chargers take an OT at 13 will obviously impact whether Cosmi hits at 47. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they took both if they were available at our 13th and 47th picks.
          Yep...bookends...Slater may drop because of his height and the projections of him to G...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

I listened to that Athletic podcast Eaterfan recommended, and one thing really stood out.

Short armed tackles get exposed in the NFL when longer pass rushers get into their chest. At 330 lbs Sewell has enough anchor to neutralize this effect. Slater may not. Just food for thought.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

From what I gather on Radunz, he's that classic project. Sometimes with projects you get Courtney Van Buren or Trey Pipkins and sometimes you get David Bakhtiari. He feels like a classic Chargers pick who then doesn't develop.
              The Bolts OL drafts are like a Charlie Brown Halloween. “I got a rock.”
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Interesting. Only 30% that Darrisaw makes it to #13? 50% for Jenkins? How do you see that playing out?

There’s a chance that a team might favor Darrisaw over Slater just because of physical traits, but that would elevate Slater’s odds to more than 20%.

If 3 teams in the top 12 go OT, it’d be CIN, CAR, and DAL. But I can’t see 4 teams taking an OT before us. There’s no way.
                The Bolts need some luck in this draft. And the top three tackles are the positional value adjusted BPA at 13.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...bookends...Slater may drop because of his height and the projections of him to G...
                  Maybe it was just coach speak but Staley last week said Aboushi was not the starter yet - coaching staff thinks he can be a starter but has to earn it. So I would not be surprised if there are two OL picked in the first 3 rounds. And there should be - Bulaga has a year left on his deal but something to prepare for as well by Telesco.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I listened to that Athletic podcast Eaterfan recommended, and one thing really stood out.

Short armed tackles get exposed in the NFL when longer pass rushers get into their chest. At 330 lbs Sewell has enough anchor to neutralize this effect. Slater may not. Just food for thought.
                    Yes, exactly that. It's not wingspan but reach to deliver the first blow and keep them off the chest pads. It's also why you need good bend or else the defender gets into the pads from underneath.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Soon as Sewell goes off the board, that’s when the run on OT begins, whether it’s Cincinnati or Detroit, then you have Carolina. Not to mention a team like Minnesota would want to trade ahead of the Chargers to grab their LT. Darrisaw is only 30% because he’s the only tackle with prototypical size. Slater 20% because he fits any scheme almost any OL position and the most technically sound. Jenkins would seem to be the highest graded available OT but think I would pass, trade down or go corner. Cosmi only in a best case trade down scenereo for more draft picks.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

If Sewell goes at 4, we know we’re in trouble. The top 3 won’t make it to 13.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Im already lowering my sights. I’m starting to think we get the 4th OT at 13, probably Jenkins.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X