• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Unfortunately, there probably is no Corey Linsley without cutting Trai Turner. Linsley will probably cost between 8-9 million/year. Where does that money come from? Fans are saying, "We have 33 million cap space" without realizing that we only have 32 of 51 players signed to next year's roster. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

I love David Andrews. I was his biggest (only) proponent 5 years ago during the 2015 draft. But that cap space link above will also show that the Patriots have the most cap space... they'll probably re-sign Andrews before he ever hits the free market... same goes for Joe Thuney. I'm targeting players from teams that have cap issues next year... knowing that there is a good chance can't be re-signed and will hit the free market.

I'd also be considering cutting Mike Williams in March (that's when his 5th year option of $15.6 mil becomes guaranteed). Tyron Johnson (a free agent at season's end) has been more productive than MW over the last 3 games. And Guyton has been nearly as productive as MW during the whole season. Even if you do retain MW for next year (and his 15.6 mil contract) you still have to re-sign him for 2022 and beyond. Was he ever worth his draft slot and salary...? With Allen, Guyton, Johnson, Reed, and Hill on the roster... I'm ready to draft a WR in the 4th-7th round and use MW's 15.6 million in FA to get a couple solid players in at other PON. I might start by wooing Desmond King back (Titans are another team with cap issues next year).

And any roster rebuild should start by re-signing those that you want to keep from hitting the open market. Hunter Henry and Michael Davis are priorities IMO. Denzel Perryman, Nick Vigil, Isaac Rochelle, Rayshawn Jenkins, Tyron Johnson, Tevaughn Campbell... and which of the OL do you keep (Tevi, Lamp, Feeney, Groy, Toner)...? Ballage? Green? Jefferson? Square? Nabers? Badgely? Long? There won't be as much cap space as people think. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...eles-chargers/
    King isnt coming back lol. What makes you think he would? He wasnt happy here for whatever reason.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

And as long as I'm cutting fat contracts, we have to consider moving on from Hayward and Harris Jr.

Hayward: $10.75 million cap hit. $2 million dead cap. $8.75 million savings.
      Harris Jr: $11.25 million cap hit. $3.75 million dead cap. $7.5 million savings.

Targets:
      CB Desmond King. Get on hands and knees and plead for forgiveness. Use Harris Jr's $7.5 million savings to re-sign King. Titans have cap issues.
      CB Mike Hilton. He went undrafted because of his lack of size (5'9"). I liked him out of college... he's got instincts/skills. He won't break the bank. Use Hayward's savings to sign Hilton and have some left over to re-sign some of your own FA's. Pittsburg has cap issues.
      CB Darqueeze Dennard. This was my CB target in 2014 draft. Bengals chose him 1 spot ahead of us. We chose Jason Verrett 1 pick later. He'll cost more than Hilton... may have to spend most of Hayward's savings to sign. He's bigger than Hilton and less risky signing. Falcons in cap hell.

In the end, that's a lot of dead cap ($5.75 mil)... but it's important to get younger/better at CB. Long-term plan. CB's suffered this year because of lack of pass rush.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

@LB: Everyone fell in love with Micah Parsons... for good reason. But now that we're drafting 9th-12th, Parsons is gone and not an option. Now the flavor of the month is Zaven Collins... and I get it... he's great. I don't think he lasts until mid-2nd round. And I'm using my 2nd rounder on pass rusher.

My preference is Chazz Surratt in the 3rd round. A former QB, he's still learning the position. But he's smart and fast. He'd be great in coverage as a WILL. We need someone to compete with Kyzir White. In nickel/dime situations, I've got some options with coverage LB's: White, Tranquil, Surratt, and Vigil.

Once I fire Gus, I move Kenneth Murray Jr. to MIKE to replace Perryman.

WILL: Kyzir White, Chazz Surratt
        MIKE: Kenneth Murray Jr., Drew Tranquil
        SAM: Nick Vigil, Emeke Egbule

Also re-sign Malik Jefferson as depth and ST.
        Also with Gus gone, I blitz more with Kenneth Murray, Jr. The focus should be on LB's that can cover really well if you're blitzing a MIKE more often. That's why I like Chazz Surratt so much.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Basham-DE.
          Hope he gets nitpicked for his flaws.
          And drops to 2nd rd for Chargers. Think this guy will turn into a double digits sack artist in the NFL.
          Does not have great bend around edge or great change of direction out in space. But I don't want my 6'5 285lb DE out in space defending things.
          ​​​​​​What I do like is his motor, his effort, his balance, his awareness on the play, rarely is he on the ground, and I like how he uses his hands vs Lineman to swim past them.
          He has enough size length and strength to set the edge well. He also has good burst and pursuit is pretty fast sideline to sideline for man his size.
          I also like him much more than others because he is 6'5 285bs. The lighter edge players struggle to set the edge.

Darn I think I just hyped him up enough to spend the 1st rd pick on him.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

G.Rousseau
            C.Basham
            Only 2 DE worthy of 1st rd pick.
            The more I look at the draft. The more I think I want Chargers to do same thing they did last year. Draft your #1 and then trade #2 and #3 to go back into rd 1 and get another player.

​​​​​Telesco isn't exactly nailing his picks in rd 2 or rd 3 anyway. A bunch of them are not even on the team anymore from previous drafts.

CB Surtain II and DE Basham Jr. Use 3 picks to get two players. You can make up that other player in free agency.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

And as long as I'm cutting fat contracts, we have to consider moving on from Hayward and Harris Jr.

Hayward: $10.75 million cap hit. $2 million dead cap. $8.75 million savings.
              Harris Jr: $11.25 million cap hit. $3.75 million dead cap. $7.5 million savings.

Targets:
              CB Desmond King. Get on hands and knees and plead for forgiveness. Use Harris Jr's $7.5 million savings to re-sign King. Titans have cap issues.
              CB Mike Hilton. He went undrafted because of his lack of size (5'9"). I liked him out of college... he's got instincts/skills. He won't break the bank. Use Hayward's savings to sign Hilton and have some left over to re-sign some of your own FA's. Pittsburg has cap issues.
              CB Darqueeze Dennard. This was my CB target in 2014 draft. Bengals chose him 1 spot ahead of us. We chose Jason Verrett 1 pick later. He'll cost more than Hilton... may have to spend most of Hayward's savings to sign. He's bigger than Hilton and less risky signing. Falcons in cap hell.

In the end, that's a lot of dead cap ($5.75 mil)... but it's important to get younger/better at CB. Long-term plan. CB's suffered this year because of lack of pass rush.
              Dennard is on my roster build plan as well as Fabian Moreau. Younger, cheaper, faster, better M2M skill sets.

We have very similar ideas, prospects, vets in mind going forward.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                Basham-DE.
                Hope he gets nitpicked for his flaws.
                And drops to 2nd rd for Chargers. Think this guy will turn into a double digits sack artist in the NFL.
                Does not have great bend around edge or great change of direction out in space. But I don't want my 6'5 285lb DE out in space defending things.
                ​​​​​​What I do like is his motor, his effort, his balance, his awareness on the play, rarely is he on the ground, and I like how he uses his hands vs Lineman to swim past them.
                He has enough size length and strength to set the edge well. He also has good burst and pursuit is pretty fast sideline to sideline for man his size.
                I also like him much more than others because he is 6'5 285bs. The lighter edge players struggle to set the edge.

Darn I think I just hyped him up enough to spend the 1st rd pick on him.
                Hmmm, you're fired again.

Lynn ambassator, trade multiple picks for a kicker, Basham in the first round(#9? Oh Vey), Rivers naysayer.
                Next you will want JohnBoy to be the GM and HC.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hmmm, you're fired again.

Lynn ambassator, trade multiple picks for a kicker, Basham in the first round(#9? Oh Vey), Rivers naysayer.
                  Next you will want JohnBoy to be the GM and HC.

#9 is Surtain II
                  Watch how it unfolds. Basham is legit.

Get him at #25 with the trade up. I'd be surprised if Basham-DE made it to Chargers 2nd rd pick.
                  ​​​​​
                  People said I sucked when I liked George Kittle a lot in his draft and DK Metcalf and AJ Brown and T.McClaurin. when we did mock drafts I picked them all up and by some was told I was reaching and over drafting all of these players. They all are very good players in the NFL.

Give me shit all you want about trading for a kicker. But I was saying that last year too. Badgely missed 9 kicks this year.

People gave me shit when I said Lamar Jackson will put up 40plus TDs as an NFL QB between passes and runs. That even though he isn't traditional QB, he will be box office. He won MVP last year. Has a winning record every year and been to playoff each year.

FYI
                  I'm ahead of the curve here.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

#9 is Surtain II
                    Watch how it unfolds. Basham is legit.

Get him at #25 with the trade up. I'd be surprised if Basham-DE made it to Chargers 2nd rd pick.
                    ​​​​​
                    People said I sucked when I liked George Kittle a lot in his draft and DK Metcalf and AJ Brown and T.McClaurin. when we did mock drafts I picked them all up and by some was told I was reaching and over drafting all of these players. They all are very good players in the NFL.

Give me shit all you want about trading for a kicker. But I was saying that last year too. Badgely missed 9 kicks this year.

People gave me shit when I said Lamar Jackson will put up 40plus TDs as an NFL QB between passes and runs. That even though he isn't traditional QB, he will be box office. He won MVP last year. Has a winning record every year and been to playoff each year.

FYI
                    I'm ahead of the curve here.
                    Trading multiple picks for a kicker is different than just trading for a kicker that isn't the top kicker all time. Your target.... IF he was even ever available, which I doubt would cost a lot.

Basham at #9 would suck. Trading up for him maybe but I'm not trading away picks this year though pass rushers aren't a strong class thus year.
                    We need OL bad and trading away two early picks would be a disaster.

And picking those WRs isn't some genius move. Shit that was perhaps one of the best classes ever. Many people mentioned Metcalf and Brown. The class was loaded and good ones lasted to the sixth round.

If only you could spot bad coaching.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I like Basham, too. But I'm waiting until mid-2nd round to see who is there. As far as DE's go... Rousseau is tier 1 by himself. Then you have 6 or 7 DE's that are all really close in talent... tier 2.

Paye, Basham, Hutchinson, Odeyingbo, Tryon, Turner. But my favorite is Patrick Jones II. You could possibly wait until round 3 for a guy like Myjai Sanders, Rashad Weaver, or Jayson Oweh. But I want a DE that has proven production.

IMO, round 2 and 3 are loaded with talent... and I really don't want to trade those picks away. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, we could end up with 4 future starters. That's a good draft.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I like Basham, too. But I'm waiting until mid-2nd round to see who is there. As far as DE's go... Rousseau is tier 1 by himself. Then you have 6 or 7 DE's that are all really close in talent... tier 2.

Paye, Basham, Hutchinson, Odeyingbo, Tryon, Turner. But my favorite is Patrick Jones II. You could possibly wait until round 3 for a guy like Myjai Sanders, Rashad Weaver, or Jayson Oweh. But I want a DE that has proven production.

IMO, round 2 and 3 are loaded with talent... and I really don't want to trade those picks away. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, we could end up with 4 future starters. That's a good draft.
                        hah !! ghost has 9 OTs, and now you've got 11 DEs.... omg/oy veh !!

if you trim it to two of 'em, think that yes, PJ2 is one of 'em and Oweh is the other, and.... think you've got to use a second on the either of 'em.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Agree on Jones, not on Paye. My sleeper is Koonce.

Comment

Working...
                          X