Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

It’s all part of the evaluation process, to omit any advanced metric or gain insight over your competition is like conceding the edge & creating disadvantage. Front office maybe more impacted as opposed to scouting department season tape, I’ll grant you that, but in the end your just checking boxes and wrapping up medicals and background checks to make sure they’re locker room as well as scheme fit.
    It is all part of the process, but only an idiot would rank all the parts equally. Again the metrics are an abstraction of skills or abilities, NOT the actual ability or skill itself. Again PFF and all these analytics types keep doing all this work and all these regressions and every time someone gets excited about some regression study, a bunch of exceptions to it come up. A few years ago PFF pointed out that Bosa was not nearly explosive enough to be a top-notch pass rusher. They came up with some pass rusher index they had been pushing for years and all the explosive combine results that were essential to have to be a great pass rusher. Only to find out over the next couple of years, many of the top pass rushers in those seasons didn't fit their model.

And you CAN see those abilities and skills on tape in context as opposed to wearing spandex and looking like a HS gym class. Again, I don't think teams put as much emphasis on this as ESPN and all the web pages. And how important are they anyway? How about maybe the most effective players in the NFL are the guys who have some ability and some technique or even great technique. And combine results don't show you anything about technique because you aren't playing football.

The prospects have played all the football they are going to play at this point.

ESPN and all the media outlets have stuff to sell, so they will hype the silliness. And all of them rely way, way too much on what the team's scouts and front office people think, and the teams have ZERO incentive to tell the world truth. In fact, they have a great deal at stake and being dishonest is not a bad way to go. If you think a team in front of you wants someone you covet, I would have no problem trying to convince everyone else through Mike Mayock or Daniel Jeremiah that a player is not as good as everyone thinks to see if I could get them to drop. It costs me nothing but sweat equity. There is a reason it's called liar's month (2 months now). If teams are trying to play disinformation games, they have a whole host of media types anxious to do their bidding.

How you play football is far more important than anything else, because that is what you are evaluating.
    Last edited by Steve; 02-10-2022, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
      Really insightful Mock Draft by Daniel Jeremiah and Buck Brooks...amazed at how many Offensive tackles are taken off the board in the first round. Seems like this draft is really deep in offensive lineman. there will be plenty of corners in the second round if this simulated draft comes true.

Make a note of this mock draft. A lot of these trench players will be ranked much lower after the combine. Mock draft GM's tend to get hardons after they watch the underwear olympics. Historically, the speed positions will get a big boost in mock drafts over the guys in the trenches. Happens every year. It will sort itself out somewhat post draft.
      Last edited by Steve; 02-10-2022, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        wu's Mock v1

1-17 BERNHARD RAIMANN central michigan offensive right tackle
        2-49 JALEN PITRE baylor Slot Corner
        3-81 JOSH PASCHAL kentucky edge/rush defensive tackle
        4-119 NEIL FARRELL JR lsu penetrating 1tech
        5-158 RACHAAD WHITE arizona state rb #1b
        6-195 PERCY BUTLER louisiana special teams/safety
        6-211 LUCAS KRULL pittsburgh y or flex tight end
        7-234 DANNY GRAY smu wr speed
        7-250 JEREMIAH MOON florida lb/edge
        7-251 JAKE CAMARDA georgia punter
        7-252 BO MELTON rutgers wr speed

UFAs, analysis to follow.

Looks like a Telesco draft. Meaning some guys we go who? Lol

I'm not familiar with some of them and I didn't watch the Senior bowl. I have been very busy since early January so all I can say is I hope we can find a edge with a bit better pass rush skills.
        Not sure this is assuming we bring back Nwosu but over all I think this is pretty decent.

I really can't wait for FA'cy. Going to be very interesting and the anticipation will be high for us for a change.

Appreciate the work you do Wu-dai

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Jolt, Paschal will offer some inside-outside flexibility, as well as run support. The dilemma with EDGE players is always pass rush juice vs lack of anchor. I am counting on Nwosu and Rumph II also.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Lots of good takes here Nutty.
            Yourself and others.
            I always like the challenge of being a little bit outlier.
            March brings Pro Days and free agency.
            Indy coming up.
            We really need people like K9, MDavis, Tillery, McKitty, Palmer to develop.
            We have quite the group of evaluators.

I like the fact that you consider some players the rest of us have glossed over... thinking that a player doesn't fit. Have to be honest, I was looking at Paschal as a 4-3 DE.

K9 must understand his role and responsibilities within Staley's D. Same goes for Tillery (along with being tougher vs run). McKitty and Palmer looked like reaches... they need to prove they were worth those picks.

:beer:

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

wu's Mock v1

1-17 BERNHARD RAIMANN central michigan offensive right tackle
              2-49 JALEN PITRE baylor Slot Corner
              3-81 JOSH PASCHAL kentucky edge/rush defensive tackle
              4-119 NEIL FARRELL JR lsu penetrating 1tech
              5-158 RACHAAD WHITE arizona state rb #1b
              6-195 PERCY BUTLER louisiana special teams/safety
              6-211 LUCAS KRULL pittsburgh y or flex tight end
              7-234 DANNY GRAY smu wr speed
              7-250 JEREMIAH MOON florida lb/edge
              7-251 JAKE CAMARDA georgia punter
              7-252 BO MELTON rutgers wr speed

UFAs, analysis to follow.

I have to admit, not familiar with many of these players. I like the Farrell and White picks. The one I’m most intrigued by is Danny Gray. Never heard of him so did a little diggin. Love the speed no doubt. But watching him, he has a good catch radius, makes people miss often once the ball is in hand, makes tough catches and not scared to go over the middle. Says he needs to work on blocking, but I think that goes for a lot of WRs coming out of college.

I know of the 3 prospects in the 1st three rounds but might switch them around and do.
              1st- OLB/DE/DT Travon Walker
              2nd- OT Abe Lucas
              3rd- CB Coby Bryant

I do think there will be a good CB prospect sitting there in the 3rd if Bryant isn’t there. I also think there will be a good run n OTs in the 2nd and early 3rd. Walker is a player you can move all over the defensive line like Bosa to create miss matches. Not saying Josh Paschal can’t be that though.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I have to admit, not familiar with many of these players. I like the Farrell and White picks. The one I’m most intrigued by is Danny Gray. Never heard of him so did a little diggin. Love the speed no doubt. But watching him, he has a good catch radius, makes people miss often once the ball is in hand, makes tough catches and not scared to go over the middle. Says he needs to work on blocking, but I think that goes for a lot of WRs coming out of college.

I know of the 3 prospects in the 1st three rounds but might switch them around and do.
                2nd- OT Abe Lucas
                3rd- CB Coby Bryant

I do think there will be a good CB prospect sitting there in the 3rd if Bryant isn’t there. I also think there will be a good run n OTs in the 2nd and early 3rd. Walker is a player you can move all over the defensive line like Bosa to create miss matches. Not saying Josh Paschal can’t be that though.
                Pitre will help run defense on Wide Zone, jet sweeps, even Bubble Screens. Derwin will be freed up sometimes to give us juice at pass rush.

We must address run defense, inside and outside. Inside, I have the fatties, Linval, VButler, and Farrell Jr. Paschal is good at setting and pursuit. I am status quo at LB.

The late WRs I have are 4.4 speed guys with flaws. We already have production from KA, MW, EK...

I like your ideas also, Bilg vs my own. I have changed my mind on Bryant. He is mostly Boundary, but is a good fit. Kyle Gordon is prolly gone at #49. McDuffie would be good at #17, but I went with the surprisingly clean ORT. If Karlaftis falls, and he may, that would be an exciting pick. His skills translate to Sundays immediately.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

2nd- OT Abe Lucas
                  3rd- CB Coby Bryant

Derion Kendrick CB (GEO) ?
                  The Bulldogs defense was so special !
                  Is it possible that McDuff stil there at 48 ? I saw him as high as 10 and as low as 62 in some mocks
                  Last edited by Maniaque 6; 02-10-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Derion Kendrick CB (GEO) ?
                    The Bulldogs defense was so special !
                    Is it possible that McDuff stil there at 48 ? I saw him as high as 10 and as low as 62 in some mocks
                    I don't think Kendrick is nearly as good (or versatile) as McDuffie. I doubt Kyler Gordan makes it to our 2nd round pick. No way McDuffie makes it that far. If I thought either would fall that far, I'd go RT in the 1st. But that would be a risky bet.

There will be some decent CB's in the 2nd round this draft. But I think there is a significant drop off after the 1st rounders... especially ones that fit our scheme. They have to be slot/outside versatile and be sure tacklers.

Comment

• DennisR91
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2021
                      • Send PM

Agree
                      looks better than palmer

Comment

• DennisR91
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2021
                        • Send PM

Need someone to cover Chelsea and other te
                        scratch that shut down chelsea

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't think Kendrick is nearly as good (or versatile) as McDuffie. I doubt Kyler Gordan makes it to our 2nd round pick. No way McDuffie makes it that far. If I thought either would fall that far, I'd go RT in the 1st. But that would be a risky bet.

There will be some decent CB's in the 2nd round this draft. But I think there is a significant drop off after the 1st rounders... especially ones that fit our scheme. They have to be slot/outside versatile and be sure tacklers.
                          Kendrick hasn't been that impressive to me. Imo he is a 4th rounder.

Comment

Working...
                          X