Davis, Adderly, James, Samuel - Molden nickle corner
        Nice.......

Comment

• CTrout
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Add Jalen Camp, Jonathan Adams, Austin Watkins, Tamorrian Terry, Dez Fitzpatrick, Josh Palmer
          Yessss! Josh Palmer....day 3 pick who could come in and contribute day one.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

Yessss! Josh Palmer....day 3 pick who could come in and contribute day one.
            Agree. Like Imatorbhebhe, Palmer’s a guy whose potential is unknown because he played with poor throwing QBs. I imagine he’s a much better player than it shows on tape.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Agree. Like Imatorbhebhe, Palmer’s a guy whose potential is unknown because he played with poor throwing QBs. I imagine he’s a much better player than it shows on tape.
              Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
                It’s not complicated.

Better QB = better throws = more opportunities for a WR to showcase talent = better tape.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                  Mock 34A.JPG
                  Mock 34B.JPG

Starting O-Line

Jenkins, Fieler, Linsey, Aboushi, Bulaga - Carman swing tackle

Starting D-Line

Basham, Tillery/Joseph, Wilson, Bosa

Secondary

Davis, Adderly, James, Samuel - Molden nickle corner
                  I want Jonathon Cooper. He defines “football player.” And that’s a sweet draft. The best I’ve seen.

2 OTs, 3 CBs, DT, 3 Ed. I don’t know how you pulled that one off.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• GetBolted
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2021
                    • Butler, PA
                    • Send PM

Samuel Cosmi
                      OT Texas

Dillon Radunz
                      OT North Dakota State

Carlos Basham Jr.
                      EDGE Wake Forest

Paulson Adebo
                      CB Stanford

Talanoa Hufanga
                      S USC

Jaylen Twyman
                      DT Pittsburgh

Benjamin St-Juste
                      CB Minnesota

Dan Moore
                      OT Texas A&M

Jonathan Adams Jr.
                      WR Arkansas State
                    • 2022 IND 3rd
                    The more tape i watch on Darrisaw the more i like him, but i passed on him and traded down just for fun. Let Cosmi and Radunz battle for LT, Boogie to spell Joey and maybe line him up on the same side to give the offense fits, Dan Moore can be depth or play guard. My 2 cents

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

My latest thoughts:

1st: OT Darrisaw. Length for the LT position. Excellent run blocker.
                      2nd: CB Asante Samuel Jr. I know a lot of you worry about his size. But Troy Hill and Darious Williams weren't big either. Outside coverage skills are really good. There are many other good CB's with 2nd round grades if Samuel is not there (there might be a run on CB's late 1st round or early 2nd round).
                      3rd: S Richie Grant. Staley likes Adderly. But if Derwin is played at nickel LB a lot, a 2nd safety will be high on Staley's list.
                      3rd: Edge Janarius Robinson. Elerson Smith and Jordan Smith are considerations, too. Long, strong DE's that provide depth behind Bosa.
                      4th OG Kendrick Green. I think Feiler heads to RT in 2022. OG David Moore is another prospect I like should Green not be there.
                      5th: CB/S Benjamin St. Juste. The 3rd DB Staley gets may be a prospect that could play either CB or safety. Should St. Juste not be there, I like safeties Sterns and Darrick Forrest here.
                      6th: DT/NT Jonathan Marshall. Depth at NT and DT.
                      6th RB Elijah Mitchell. Good speed, good toughness. Chris Evans, Khalil Herbert, and Jermar Jefferson are others I consider.
                      7th: TE Zach Davidson. Depth and development prospect. There are some other development TE's late, also.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Chargers mock draft 3.0: Trading back in the first round for …

By Daniel Popper Apr 12, 2021 34

In our first two Chargers mock drafts this offseason, we kept things basic with no trades.
                        That changes today.
                        Welcome to Mock Draft 3.0.
                        The Chargers have a lot of flexibility in terms of how they formulate and execute their NFL Draft strategy. With nine picks, including four in the top 100, they possess the ammunition to make an aggressive trade up the board in the first round, if there is an available player they covet. On the other hand, they have their franchise quarterback in Justin Herbert, so they are not desperate to make such a move. They can stay put at No 13. Or, depending on how the first round shakes out, they could trade back with a QB-needy team to load up on yet another top 100 pick, giving head coach Brandon Staley even more opportunity to mold this roster in his image.
                        That is where we will start.
                        TO THE MOCK!

Christian Darrisaw (Charles LeClaire / USA Today)

Round 1, Pick 20 (from CHI): Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

Here is the hypothetical I am posing: The Chargers are up at No. 13 and both Oregon’s Penei Sewell and Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater, the two top tackles in the draft, are off the board. Same with the top two cornerbacks, Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II and South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn. The top four quarterbacks — Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Field’s and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance — went in the first four picks to the Jaguars, Jets, 49ers and Falcons. But no other team went quarterback or opted to trade out to a team in need of a quarterback. The Lions, Panthers and Broncos, at No. 7, 8 and 9 respectively, all addressed other needs with their picks. The Chargers are on the clock, and Alabama’s Mac Jones is still available.
                        I think this scenario is possible. And if the Chargers are facing this precise situation, trading out would make a ton of sense. They could reach for a tackle or a corner here. Or they could acquire additional draft capital and have one of those same players still on the board later in the first round.
                        I checked around with our NFL beat writers and found two teams who would be willing to trade up to 13 for a QB: The Bears at No. 20 and the Washington Football Team at No. 19.
                        Neither team is picking high enough to make a jump into the top 10. But the Chargers at 13 present a much more reasonable option. From my conversations, the Bears seem more desperate for a QB answer. Washington head coach Ron Rivera has preached patience when it comes to filling his QB hole, and he has that luxury because of an outstanding defense. Washington could very well be in the mix in 2021 with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starter. The circumstances are more dire for the Bears, who are not going anywhere with an aging Andy Dalton leading a mediocre overall roster.
                        So I dealt with the Bears. The details of the trade:
                        Chargers give up: No. 13
                        Bears give up: No. 20, No. 52
                        The Chargers acquire an additional premium pick in the second round. And then they have options at 20.
                        I still think left tackle is the most pressing need on the roster. I will not waver from that opinion. Darrisaw is my pick at this spot.
                        Staley spoke Thursday about the importance of size and length on the offensive line, especially at tackle. Darrisaw is just short of 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds. With 34.25 inches, he has the longest arms of any of the first-round tackle prospects. He has the length and athleticism to match up one-on-one with NFL edge rushers, which Staley mentioned as the most critical factor in his tackle evaluation.
                        Here is The Athletic’s expert Dane Brugler on Darrisaw, from his exceptional and insanely thorough draft guide that you should all check out: “Keeping his weight over his toes, Darrisaw shows efficient slide quickness in pass pro and he is a bulldozer in the run game, unlocking his hips to create movement or seal block. While he shows the ability to manhandle defenders once he locks on, he tends to hit the cruise control button towards the end and his lack of a killer instinct is unsatisfying. Overall, I wish Darrisaw was a more consistent finisher, but he has outstanding body control and feet for a man his size and shows the technique and torque to be an NFL starter at either tackle or guard.”

Eric Stokes (Brett Davis / USA Today)

Round 2, Pick 47: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Stokes, a former high school track star, is one of the most athletically gifted corners in this draft and fits the mold for what Staley is looking for at the position. He ran a 4.29 40-yard dash at his pro day, the fastest time of any corner Brugler graded for his guide. He played both inside and outside at Georgia, and the versatility should be appealing for the Chargers. As Brugler writes, Stokes has “balanced footwork in space to press or play off the line of scrimmage.” Staley said last week that the ability to play man-to-man from press and off alignments is the most important trait he is looking for in a corner. Because of his athletic profile, Stokes could be off the board before 47. If he is there, Stokes would be a scheme fit opposite Michael Davis and a versatile long-term answer at corner with Chris Harris set to his free agency in 2022.
                        Brugler’s scouting report on Stokes: “Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.”
                        Round 2, Pick 52 (from CHI): Richie Grant, S, UCF

The Chargers are back on the clock five picks later thanks to their trade with the Bears, and they once again target secondary talent. As Staley said last week: “I don’t think you can have enough DBs just in the current NFL.” He needs depth. He needs versatility. His scheme depends on it. And right now, the Chargers have only three safeties on their roster: Derwin James, Nasir Adderley and Alohi Gilman.
                        Grant is Brugler’s top-ranked safety, so he might not fall this far. But he checks several boxes for the Chargers. GM Tom Telesco generally likes experienced players, and Grant was a four-year player and three-year starter in college. Staley is looking for smart, rangy safeties with ball skills. Grant accounted for 17 turnovers in his college career, and according to Brugler, teammates called him “an extra coach on the field.” The Chargers also need special teams flexibility, and Grant played 533 special teams snaps in his college career.
                        From Brugler: “With the play speed and production that popped on tape, Grant does receiver-like things at the catch point and flies downhill looking for the kill shot. He was credited with only three touchdown passes allowed the last two seasons, but he must continue to improve his route anticipation and run/pass reads. Overall, Grant needs to iron out some consistency issues, but he has NFL starting-level range, eyes and ball-hawking tendencies. He projects as a single-high or split safety who will compete for starting reps as a rookie.”

Tommy Tremble (Ian Johnson / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Round 3, Pick 77: Tommy Tremble, TE, Notre Dame
                        Tremble is a holdover from Mock 2.0. I just think he makes so much sense for the Chargers. They do not have a dependable blocking tight end on the roster. Brugler describes Tremble as a “physical, downhill run blocker.” We all know how much Telesco loves players from Brian Kelly’s program in South Bend. Telesco has selected a player from Notre Dame in three of the last four drafts.
                        Staley said last week that “value in the passing game” is the most important trait he looks for when evaluating tight ends. And Tremble did not have a lot of production as a receiver in college. But as Brugler writes: “He needs to mature as a route-runner and finisher, but he flashes the athleticism and body control to work past underneath defenders, and become available as a target.” Under the veteran leadership of Jared Cook, Tremble could certainly develop that part of his game. He is still only 20. Cook’s presence would give him the time to grow in that area while providing an immediate impact as a blocker in the run game.
                        Brugler on Tremble: “Tremble is unrefined in areas as he was underutilized as a passing target in college, but he is an ascending talent and displays the point-of-attack skills to be an asset as a blocker. He will be a better pro than college player as he continues to develop.”
                        Round 3, Pick 97: Deonte Brown, OG, Alabama

With an additional top-100 pick in hand, the Chargers can address their need for interior line depth earlier. In Mock 2.0, I had the Chargers taking a guard in the fourth round. Now, they can look to target that position with their third-round compensatory pick. Staley said last week that the vision was to get bigger on the offensive line through free agency. They did that by signing Matt Feiler (6-foot-6, 330 pounds) and Oday Oboushi (6-foot-5, 315), two bigger guards. Brown, too, is a large guard at 6-foot-3, 344 pounds, though he’s not as long as Feiler and Aboushi. Brown played at more than 360 pounds last season at Alabama but dropped some weight between the Senior Bowl and his pro day.
                        Brugler on Brown: “Brown is exceptionally powerful with freaky feats in the weight room that also translate to the football field (Nick Saban: “He’s probably the most powerful, explosive guy that we have on the whole offensive line.”). He didn’t allow a sack the last three seasons, but gap quickness throws off his timing. Overall, Brown moves heavy and lacks great recovery quickness, but he boasts an instant anchor and the upper-body explosion to displace defenders. He won’t be a fit for every scheme, but he flashes Gabe Jackson-like potential if he trusts his technique and vision vs. NFL speed.”
                        Round 4, Pick 118: Osa Odighizuwa, DL, UCLA

The Chargers enter the draft with quality starter talent along the defensive line with Justin Jones, Linval Joseph and Jerry Tillery. But they need to add depth. Staley is looking for two traits primarily for the defensive linemen in his 3-4 scheme: length and versatility. Odighizuwa provides both, though he is under 6-foot-2. He has 34-inch arms and lined up all over the line for the Bruins, from over the center to on the outside shoulder of the tackle.
                        Brugler on Odighizuwa: “A three-time state champion wrestler in high school, Odighizuwa translates several of those traits (balance, toughness, leverage) to the football field, using his powerful hands and backfield vision to defeat blocks and pursue the football. As a pass rusher, he needs to weaponize his rush moves and trust his technique to unlock his ability. Overall, Odighizuwa needs to improve his efficiency as a pass rusher, but he has disruptive qualities with his length, power and quickness and he shouldn’t be scheme-dependent in the NFL.”

Chris Rumph II (Jaylynn Nash / USA Today)

Round 5, Pick 159: Chris Rumph II, edge, Duke

Signing free agent Kyler Fackrell made edge rusher less of a need for the Chargers, who I think can wait until Day 3 to address the position. Rumph is undersized as an edge rusher at under 6-foot-3 and 244 pounds. But he was a highly productive college player with 17.5 career sacks and 34 tackles for loss. As Brugler notes, Rumph also was one of only seven players nationally to total at least 45 pressures in 2020. Telesco loves to target high character players, especially later in the draft. Rumph was named a team captain as a junior.
                        Brugler on Rumph: “He is a slippery rusher with quickness and range, but his lack of size makes it easy for blockers to engulf and redirect him at the point of attack. Overall, Rumph can be controlled in the run game and his alignment fit will be different from scheme to scheme, but he has a knack for finding the crease and his football character is superb. He projects as a gadget pass rusher who can create havoc in subpackages.”
                        Round 6, Pick 185: Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn

The Chargers will be looking for special teams contributors at this point in the draft, and Sherwood was a full-time special teams player for all three of his seasons at Auburn. On top of that, he is a long and versatile safety who lined up in the box, in the slot and the deep part of the field in college. His 4.74 40 time will make him available this late in the draft despite his positive traits.
                        Brugler on Sherwood: “Sherwood lacks the sudden athleticism to be a reliable man-cover defender, but he plays with NFL-level anticipation, length and aggression. He projects as a special-teamer and borderline starter at box safety.”

Nick Niemann (Jeffrey Becker / USA Today)

Round 6, Pick 198: Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa

Niemann (6-foot-3, 234 pounds) is a great athlete who put up noteworthy numbers at his pro day. Namely, he ran a 4.48 40-yard dash. He is a sure-handed tackler who led the Hawkeyes in tackles as a senior. As Brugler writes, “missed tackles were few and far between on his college film.” That combination of athleticism, speed and tackling ability gives him an ideal special teams profile. The Chargers, as I said, need more talent there.
                        Brugler on Niemann: “Niemann needs to improve his reliability in coverage and as a take-on player, but his run-stopping skills and above average athletic traits make him worth the gamble on day three of the draft.”
                        Round 7, Pick 241: Carson Green, G/T, Texas A&M

Green started 39 straight games at right tackle at Texas A&M after taking over that role as a freshman. He has tackle size and length but a lack of elite athleticism might force a move inside. He could find a roster spot with the Chargers as a backup guard with tackle flexibility. Green’s substantial college experience could be attractive to Telesco in the final round. The Chargers could afford to add multiple depth offensive line pieces in this draft.
                        Brugler on Green: “Green’s technique tends to break down vs. edge speed, but he has the physical hands, core strength and awareness to make an NFL roster.”

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by GetBolted View Post

Samuel Cosmi
                            OT Texas

Dillon Radunz
                            OT North Dakota State

Carlos Basham Jr.
                            EDGE Wake Forest

Paulson Adebo
                            CB Stanford

Talanoa Hufanga
                            S USC

Jaylen Twyman
                            DT Pittsburgh

Benjamin St-Juste
                            CB Minnesota

Dan Moore
                            OT Texas A&M

Jonathan Adams Jr.
                            WR Arkansas State
                          • 2022 IND 3rd
                          The more tape i watch on Darrisaw the more i like him, but i passed on him and traded down just for fun. Let Cosmi and Radunz battle for LT, Boogie to spell Joey and maybe line him up on the same side to give the offense fits, Dan Moore can be depth or play guard. My 2 cents
                          Pretty dang close to my thoughts. I like a lot of those players/positions. I'm wondering Staley might push CB and safety up priority wise... and pass rusher down a smidge.

Comment

Working...
                          X