Clear All
  • SBbound
    Casual fanatic
    • Feb 2019
    • Merced/San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Mind you he accomplished it all with above average QB play
    I blame Rivers. And Herbert for his crappy rookie season. Taylor won 100% of his games, Telesco never should let him walk.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      The more I look at that chart, the sadder I get. 68 losses and a losing record. No other GM gets that leniency from their owners.
      I agree he has had plenty of time but will point out that the Rams GM has been there longer than Telesco (1 season longer) and he had pretty bad record till 2017 and Snead is only 5 games over .500 right now.
      The last 5 seasons the Rams are 40 games over .500 which put him where he is today at those 5 games over .500.

It can turn around for us but I also wouldn't care if Telesco got fired but apparently it isn't going to happen this off-season.
      So one more season and no playoffs should do him in but I sure as hell hope we make the playoffs next season and make a run.

Tampa Bay's GM has a shit record too (1 season less than TT)but they won a SB last year.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-17-2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The only punter in history that was a first round pick is Ray Guy. The same team that is the only team to draft a kicker in the first round.

Is it impossible to happen again? No but it is unlikely.

Possibly a team that is on the cusp of a SB caliber team can afford to use a first or second on a punter but that isn't us.
        Not the only. Charlie Gogolak was drafted in the 1st round - with the #6 pick, no less - of the 1966 Draft by the then Washington Redskins.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Arlington, TX
          • Send PM

Kicker/Punter Russell Erxleben was also drafted in the first round (11th overall) in 1979 by the Saints. But, yeah, there's no way that would happen again nowadays. At least imo.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The only punter in history that was a first round pick is Ray Guy. The same team that is the only team to draft a kicker in the first round.

Is it impossible to happen again? No but it is unlikely.

Possibly a team that is on the cusp of a SB caliber team can afford to use a first or second on a punter but that isn't us.
            We were not in 2021. We can not absolutely say that about the coming season.
            We need to upgrade RT, DL, ILB, CB play. Some of these players may already be Chargers. Punter is not.
            The Aztec's MVP can flip the field with adequate blocking & coverage. That can result in W's in otherwise close games.
            We do need a quality punter. When the best in college history is available, he should be in consideration.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We were not in 2021. We can not absolutely say that about the coming season.
              We need to upgrade RT, DL, ILB, CB play. Some of these players may already be Chargers. Punter is not.
              The Aztec's MVP can flip the field with adequate blocking & coverage. That can result in W's in otherwise close games.
              We do need a quality punter. When the best in college history is available, he should be in consideration.
              We don’t like to punt so this isn’t a position of need

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We don’t like to punt so this isn’t a position of need
                He’s got a point there.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt

Not in round 1 or 2. Not imo anyways. Round 4 sure. When is the last time a punter or kicker went that early?
                  Mike Nugent went in the second round in 2005.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Nate Keading 3rd round 2004
                    What a draft for the Chargers that year !

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

That's 2 kickers. No punters. Keading 3rd round. I meant 1st or 2nd.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Back to the draft.

Echoing Beach's thoughts on P Matt Araiza. Folks starting talking about Araiza in the 3rd Round in November. I reluctantly agree. So, let's trade back in the first and pick up and extra 3rd and draft P Matt Araiza in the 3rd.

So the Chargers take DE Cameron Thomas (#99, 6-5, 270) and P Matt Araiza, TWO Aztecs in the 3rd Round. (And I've no SDSU connection.)
                        Matt’s last name gets butchered even worse than Tristan’s. I don’t know anything about him but I wonder if he played soccer as a kid and had to shift to another sport when soccer didn't work out. So kicking field goals and punting is his fallback? Just like Tristan he has a Spanish name that you don’t hear very often, neither is a common name like lopez or gonzalez etc...

Folks are pronouncing his name “A-raise-A” but his name is pronounced “A-Ra-EEE-saw” that spanish “i” is pronounced like an e and has the accented emphasis
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Not the only. Charlie Gogolak was drafted in the 1st round - with the #6 pick, no less - of the 1966 Draft by the then Washington Redskins.

Playing with one arm didn't slow down Abilene High's Ellis Jones on the football field. The Tulsa Terror played
                          against Georgia Tech in the 1944 Sugar Bowl. He later played for the Boston Yanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X