• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

When is not upgrading the worst player at his position in the NFL not a good idea? Or the worst coach, the worst GM, the worst trainer, etc? We’d all like a new punter, it’s just how do we get one. Yes, a 3rd is early,, but is he a future all pro?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      When is not upgrading the worst player at his position in the NFL not a good idea? Or the worst coach, the worst GM, the worst trainer, etc? We’d all like a new punter, it’s just how do we get one. Yes, a 3rd is early,, but is he a future all pro?
      If he is Ray Guy - than he is worth a 1st

Hell, Johnny Hekker last night for the Rams - and I get some of it is the entire special teams, very good punter.,
      Whats also the drop off between the two best punters.

Jeez - who wouldn't want a Mike Scifres back even if the cost is a late 2nd early 3rd round pick

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If he is Ray Guy - than he is worth a 1st

Hell, Johnny Hekker last night for the Rams - and I get some of it is the entire special teams, very good punter.,
        Whats also the drop off between the two best punters.

Jeez - who wouldn't want a Mike Scifres back even if the cost is a late 2nd early 3rd round pick
        If AJ Smith had just drafted all the undrafted players that year ie Gates and Dielman, it would have made up for the Sammy Davis/Troy Polamalu debacle lol.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

It’s positional value and the uncertainty that comes with it. For example, if you pick an RB these days in the high first round, he better be the second coming of LT or AP to make it worth it. But more than likely he won’t. A punters value is even lower compared to an RB simply because of perceived impact. He also plays less snaps when your offense is so potent. I would err on the side of caution and draft one on the third day versus the first two.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s positional value and the uncertainty that comes with it. For example, if you pick an RB these days in the high first round, he better be the second coming of LT or AP to make it worth it. But more than likely he won’t. A punters value is even lower compared to an RB simply because of perceived impact. He also plays less snaps when your offense is so potent. I would err on the side of caution and draft one on the third day versus the first two.
            I’d go after that Texan punter. Trade Kenneth Murray for Cameron Johnston 46.7 per punt average. He’s a gamer! :idgaf:

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

but, but, but...who's gonna be his placeholder? He cant hold for himself. But MAN that kid has a leg! Is it me or does it seem he takes a bit of time to launch as well?

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Not if he's your star punter for the next decade that you can actually use as a field placement weapon. If he's that good I would even burn a late second rounder on him. But then again Staley goes for it on fourth down so often how much use would we have for him. LOL!

:shifty:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

We don’t have a late second round pick, we have a mid round pick. So I guess we would be trading down with somebody, a playoff team most likely looking to jump ahead and grab a player they really like. For what, an extra fourth? We have so many needs that a JAG-filled draft won’t help, I’d pass on the punter this year, roll with Long and upgrade everybody else as best we can.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      We don’t have a late second round pick, we have a mid round pick. So I guess we would be trading down with somebody, a playoff team most likely looking to jump ahead and grab a player they really like. For what, an extra fourth? We have so many needs that a JAG-filled draft won’t help, I’d pass on the punter this year, roll with Long and upgrade everybody else as best we can.
                      Rolling with Long at this point would be stupid
                      Now that doesn't mean Araiza but it could mean signing a better damn punter
                      And really with Telescos record in the 3rd or 4th rounds - could he be any worse than Mager, Pipkins, Watt, Tuerk, Perry.

The Chargers do have a lot of needs but adding players that are not pro bowlers doens't mean they are JAG players either. Good teams need good role players. And for two positions, RT and IDL - it seems like it shouldn't be hard to improve those two positions.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Rolling with Long at this point would be stupid
                        Now that doesn't mean Araiza but it could mean signing a better damn punter
                        And really with Telescos record in the 3rd or 4th rounds - could he be any worse than Mager, Pipkins, Watt, Tuerk, Perry.
                        What FA punters are coming up? How about a couple UDFAs to push for Long’s spot then?

I guess I would pass on the next Guy when the team has so many problems in other areas to fix, the O can’t sustain drives when it matters and the D can’t get off the field. Need more top end talent, I’ll take an EDGE over a punter.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

What FA punters are coming up? How about a couple UDFAs to push for Long’s spot then?

I guess I would pass on the next Guy when the team has so many problems in other areas to fix, the O can’t sustain drives when it matters and the D can’t get off the field. Need more top end talent, I’ll take an EDGE over a punter.
                          I am okay not drafting Araiza because there are needs that play more downs. I just don't like the idea of rolling with Ty Long unless he gets a lot more competition. My point was more that with Telesco's record in the 3rd and 4th rounds (either pick or trading away) - maybe Araiza is not the worst draft pick

I will have to look closer at potential free agent punters.

Comment

Working...
                          X