• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Let's be real though. If Araiza didn't play for the Aztecs would we be pining for him as much?

Myself I don't care where the players come from. Being an Aztec doesn't make me want them anymore than any other players.
    I'm just wondering if there is some homering going on here. Unless we kill it in free agency I don't see us being able to draft a punter in the second round.
    I keep an eye out for Aztec guys that translate to the NFL. You’ll never see me advocate a QB for example. Even the RBs are tricky because of the offensive scheme. Rashad Penny was the only one I think had the potential to be great. Too bad he was always injured. I think Araiza is someone who can definitely help us as a punter.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

Marshall Faulk was an Aztec

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        Marshall Faulk was an Aztec
        Don Coryell was an Aztec also.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Let's be real though. If Araiza didn't play for the Aztecs would we be pining for him as much?

Myself I don't care where the players come from. Being an Aztec doesn't make me want them anymore than any other players.
          I'm just wondering if there is some homering going on here. Unless we kill it in free agency I don't see us being able to draft a punter in the second round.
          Drafting a punter or kicker is an interesting debate. A good kicker/punter can absolutely win games and a bad one can lose them, so I am not against taking one. Araiza appears to have the potential to be a generational punter and the ability to flip a field with regularity can definitely affect the outcome of games. Long had the worst net punting average of any regular punter in the entire league nearly 8 yards per punt behind the league leader. Drafting a kicker on the second day leaves other holes on the roster unfilled but anyone watching Long punt knows that punter is a hole as well. Maybe the thinking is better coaching improves him? Long is a RFA so it would cost nothing cap wise to move on from him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I’m skeptical of a punter/kicker from Colorado just because of the elevation, but if he’s legit, I could get behind it.
            After courting the gorgeous Miss Araiza all year …you’re now asking this young lady to the prom as your plan B.

drunk honey boo boo GIF
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Don Coryell was an Aztec also.

So were Madden, Gibbs, etc etc, but none of them ever took a snap on the field. I thought this was about draft picks?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

A second rounder on a punter is too much capital for this team to spend right now. But if I we can get Mike Scifres 2.0 with our third round pick, I say grab him. Being able to lock down any position other than long snapper for a decade plus with a high level talent is worth a third round pick IMO. But that’s the question: how sure of a bet is this guy?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Aztecs, for a G5 school, has a good record of producing NFL talent. QBs, probably not so much.

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-game/amp/

Good article on Araiza. Apparently he generated about 3 TDs of additive value over the course of the season, which is the best of any punter in college in the last six years. Also, he handles the duties of being the place kicker. He’s got an 84% touchback rate.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

So were Madden, Gibbs, etc etc, but none of them ever took a snap on the field. I thought this was about draft picks?
                      Have a sense a humor. It’ll help.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                        A second rounder on a punter is too much capital for this team to spend right now. But if I we can get Mike Scifres 2.0 with our third round pick, I say grab him. Being able to lock down any position other than long snapper for a decade plus with a high level talent is worth a third round pick IMO. But that’s the question: how sure of a bet is this guy?
                        I wouldn’t use a 2nd rounder on a punter when we have so many other needs. A 4th is the highest I would use.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I wouldn’t use a 2nd rounder on a punter when we have so many other needs. A 4th is the highest I would use.
                          I agree that a second rounder is too valuable. But if the team spends a third rounder on the guy and he becomes a top 5 punter, I’ll be pleased. If we pass on him in the third and he’s available in the fourth, I’ll be screaming for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X