2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

What's the consensus on Jalin Hyatt?
    If there isn't an Edge available at 21, I'm sure Kellen Moore and JH would pull that trigger.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

I'm not a RB in the 1st round guy but watching Robinson....that dudes cuts are ridiculous! He doesn't lose speed or forward momentum when he cuts, never seen that before.
      I'm usually not either, especially after our last 2 first round RBs in Gordon and Mathews. But IMO, Robinson is head and shoulders better than those two and would really give us a bell cow back while allowing Eck to be moved all over the place for mismatches.

Comment

• C'monchargers
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Teams with okay run defense and still won the SB.

2019 Chiefs had 5 games where they gave up 180+ rushing yards. Gave up 141 yards in SB.

2014 Patriots had 4 games where they gave up 150+ rushing yards. Gave up 162 yards in SB.

2011 Giants had 8 games in regular and playoffs where they gave up 140+ rushing yards. Gave up 147 yards in Division and 150 in conf game.

2009 Saints had 7 games in regular and playoffs where they gave up 140+ rushing yards. Gave up 165 yards in conf game.

2006 Colts had 10 games in regular and playoffs where they gave up 140+ rushing yards. 3 200+ yards and gave up 375 rushing yards in week 14. Eh. Won the SB.

If our run defense can be at or better than these 5 SB winning teams.............?

I assume you had gone through all the years to find these teams and scenarios to fit the narrative; and I also assume there would be way more years that a team with a respectable run defense contended for and won the superbowl, than not. Given you had only came up with these few example with such wide year span. Firstly, non of these team had given up an average of 144+ yards rushing per game like we did this season except for the Colts in 2006. 1 out of 14+++ years. Second, these are the worst cases you had mentioned and we worse most of them; with that logic our average is worse than the worst out there but one. Eh I mean...

2019 the Chiefs allowed average of 125ypg. It was a well coached team with Mahomes still on his rookie contract, came in seasoned and Tyreek Hill had a coming out year and that team was rightfully crowned. They gave up 141 yards in rushing in the superbowl, but Deedo had 53 of those yards with a long of 32 and didn't have a run longer than 17 yards.

2014 gave up 4 150+ yards game out of 15 games. They gave up 105 ypg that season and was 1 yard away from losing the superbowl and the only reason why is because of Da Interception. Fun fact, that particular pass that got intercepted, Russell Wilson had connected 95% of such passes prior to the interception. The only coach that probably would know and prep his D to jump that when they see that set up would probably be Belichick.

2011 Giants had and 8-8 record and if you dare to dream making to the play off with an 8-8 record is a bit unrealistic. And even then they had only given up 121 ypg in rushing. Matter of fact you can't include the other 3 8-8 superbowl winning team into this convo becuase they had stud defense.

2009 Saints went 13-0 and the following 3 games they gave up (145, 176, 178) and lost all 3 remaining games. They gave up 165 to the Vikings in the conf. chamip game and won in the OT by 3, that's 165 tough yard given to a 24 yr Adrian Peterson. And won the superbowl giving up 99 yards rushing in the superbowl. That team scored under 25 points 4 times in the entire season, once early and the last 3.

Even if our defense can be or is better than them, most of them are kicking ass and being top else where. In what we do, in your opinion is top notch??

Last edited by C'monchargers; 01-31-2023, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm usually not either, especially after our last 2 first round RBs in Gordon and Mathews. But IMO, Robinson is head and shoulders better than those two and would really give us a bell cow back while allowing Eck to be moved all over the place for mismatches.
          Whilst I was watching Robinson tape, I was imagining what a defense would do if they had both Ekeler and Bijan in the backfield, at the same time?????
          Throw a twitchy slot guy in there, JH would throw for 6000 yards!( saw some shots of Robinson making good catches downfield as well)

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

If Bijan is there at 21, I think you gotta take him. JMO...If not, though, this is a nice find, BJ....might be going in my 4 round sig mock, when I get around to it....
            No guarantees, but based on how RB has been drafted in recent years, I don’t see any reason that he wouldn’t be there at 21…he might not get picked until the end of round 1, I think the need to upgrade viable depth at wr, edge, and offensive line supersedes RB in this draft, plus some top shelf RBs will be available at pick #54 in the second round…

I do think RB will be a first or second round priority in the 2024 draft, especially if they don’t extend ekeler this offseason…both ekeler and kelley are going into final year of their contracts in 2023…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              What's the consensus on Jalin Hyatt?
              If there isn't an Edge available at 21, I'm sure Kellen Moore and JH would pull that trigger.
              He's in the cluster. It will depend in who is on the board. If Mayer drops to us we have to take him, among others (Bijan) Hyatt isn't the best non QB or Edge in the draft.
              Moore will have input. Staley has yea or nay. TT will make the pick.
              Hyatt's speed IS attractive.

Comment

• SK21209
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2020
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

With Moore coming in as OC I think its pretty likely that we go offense in the first round. Moore was already one of the highest paid coordinators I believe, we probably paid him something similar. Apparently he was the second choice for HC in Carolina behind Reich. When you bring someone of that stature in and (presumably) give them full control of the offense, you give them the pieces they need to succeed. Fixing the offense appears to be the big priority this offseason, so I can't see us going defense in Round 1 unless a real blue-chip edge rusher drops to us, especially in a year when some of the best receivers might actually be available at #21.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Michael Mayer, I think those are the names to look for at #21. If we go WR in the first I could even see us taking a TE in the second if Kincaid or Washington fall. Bijan Robinson would be fun but I just can't see us going first round RB this year, I think its much more likely we move on from Ekeler next year and draft a RB early. In each of the last two offseasons they identified a primary area of improvement (O-Line in 2021, Defense in 2022) and devoted a lot of resources to those areas. I think they've decided that the pass-catching group is the biggest need this year and I expect a significant devotion of resources there.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                  With Moore coming in as OC I think its pretty likely that we go offense in the first round. Moore was already one of the highest paid coordinators I believe, we probably paid him something similar. Apparently he was the second choice for HC in Carolina behind Reich. When you bring someone of that stature in and (presumably) give them full control of the offense, you give them the pieces they need to succeed. Fixing the offense appears to be the big priority this offseason, so I can't see us going defense in Round 1 unless a real blue-chip edge rusher drops to us, especially in a year when some of the best receivers might actually be available at #21.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Michael Mayer, I think those are the names to look for at #21. If we go WR in the first I could even see us taking a TE in the second if Kincaid or Washington fall. Bijan Robinson would be fun but I just can't see us going first round RB this year, I think its much more likely we move on from Ekeler next year and draft a RB early. In each of the last two offseasons they identified a primary area of improvement (O-Line in 2021, Defense in 2022) and devoted a lot of resources to those areas. I think they've decided that the pass-catching group is the biggest need this year and I expect a significant devotion of resources there.
                  Moore was our biggest offensive move and run production was the weakest part of offense. Moore will intend to correct that. Bijan or Mayer will be top considerations.
                  OL and coaches associated with OL and run game may see some changes. #30 rushing offense will NOT happen in 2023.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

I'm surprised at how many people want WR or RB to fix the offense. I think our skill players on offense are darn good. They were good enough two years ago but the injuries set them back this year. I trust the new OC can make the sun shine on the Charger's offense.

Has everyone forgotten how easy it was for teams to run on us? Why don't I read posts talking up help for the DL? What about a great LB? We need to do something to at least try to fix our run defense.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

I assume you had gone through all the years to find these teams and scenarios to fit the narrative; and I also assume there would be way more years that a team with a respectable run defense contended for and won the superbowl, than not. Given you had only came up with these few example with such wide year span. Firstly, non of these team had given up an average of 144+ yards rushing per game like we did this season except for the Colts in 2006. 1 out of 14+++ years. Second, these are the worst cases you had mentioned and we worse most of them; with that logic our average is worse than the worst out there but one. Eh I mean...
                      That's the whole point I'm making. Our best case is to match those worse cases. What that realistically means for us is a high scoring offense, good pass rush, okay run defense enroute to a SB win. That is the best most immediate path for us.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        I'm surprised at how many people want WR or RB to fix the offense. I think our skill players on offense are darn good. They were good enough two years ago but the injuries set them back this year. I trust the new OC can make the sun shine on the Charger's offense.

Has everyone forgotten how easy it was for teams to run on us? Why don't I read posts talking up help for the DL? What about a great LB? We need to do something to at least try to fix our run defense.
                        Our skill players couldn't stay on the field. A bigger problem to run defense is running the football. When you have an elite QB you take advantage
                        of that fact. We need better than darn good if you want to beat KC, Buffalo, Cincy, Jacksonville and Miami. Scoring 23 ppg isn't going to cut it.
                        There is no guarantee that we won't have injury problems again. Herbert needs some more options. Whether its a WR, TE or RB.
                        In any case we need to fix our running game. We don't have to be top 5, but averaging over 4 ypc would do the trick.

So I look for two things: Improved running game. More weapons for Herbert.

As for the defense our defensive guru needs to get things fixed. If your going to be lousy at stopping the run, then you best stop
                        the passing game. When needed we couldn't do either.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Well to be fair, the last two drafts I've wanted a RB picked 1st or second round. Kelly only had 250 yards so Ek is our bellcow and he shouldn't be.

Comment

Working...
                          X