2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well to be fair, the last two drafts I've wanted a RB picked 1st or second round. Kelly only had 250 yards so Ek is our bellcow and he shouldn't be.
    A RB like Bijan would immediately make our WRs better: defenders can’t sit back cuz they fear Herbert, if they do Bijan/Ekeler will eat them alive. Pick your poison.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I'm surprised at how many people want WR or RB to fix the offense. I think our skill players on offense are darn good. They were good enough two years ago but the injuries set them back this year. I trust the new OC can make the sun shine on the Charger's offense.

Has everyone forgotten how easy it was for teams to run on us? Why don't I read posts talking up help for the DL? What about a great LB? We need to do something to at least try to fix our run defense.
      We need to be average or better at run D.
      In '22 we lost Bosa, A Johnson, Tito, Covington, Tillery stunk and K9 was coming off injury early season.
      Meanwhile the offense was largely mediocre at scoring, particularly 3rd qtr & 2nd half. 30th rush offense. We couldn't put pressure on opponents to keep up with our offense, or milk the clock with a lead. The team had issues 12 of 17 games we couldn't post 25+ pts, 7 we couldn't break 20.
      So it's take your pick. I might take LB Drew Sanders. Smart, strong, fast Good pass D, pass rush, run D.
      You know I also like RB Bijan, TEs Mayer, Kincaid.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

In '22 we lost Bosa, A Johnson, Tito, Covington, Tillery stunk and K9 was coming off injury early season.
        Meanwhile the offense was largely mediocre at scoring, particularly 3rd qtr & 2nd half. 30th rush offense. We couldn't put pressure on opponents to keep up with our offense, or milk the clock with a lead. The team had issues 12 of 17 games we couldn't post 25+ pts, 7 we couldn't break 20.
        So it's take your pick. I might take LB Drew Sanders. Smart, strong, fast Good pass D, pass rush, run D.
        If the pick is O, Bijan is better than any other O player who might be there. Just grab him.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I like every one of those players you mention but I have the opinion that our offense can cruise with our new OC and the same players from last year.

I don't think our run defense can do the same thing. We need help on the defense. A great LB or NT could turn it around for us.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I like every one of those players you mention but I have the opinion that our offense can cruise with our new OC and the same players from last year.

I don't think our run defense can do the same thing. We need help on the defense. A great LB or NT could turn it around for us.
            A high flying offense helps run D.
            Getting Bosa, A Johnson, Tito will help run D.
            I really like LB Sanders.
            For me the 21 pick should be BPA when we're on the clock. Dig harder for needs rd 2-3 if they feel the need.

Comment

• C'monchargers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

That's the whole point I'm making. Our best case is to match those worse cases. What that realistically means for us is a high scoring offense, good pass rush, okay run defense enroute to a SB win. That is the best most immediate path for us.

In that case we need a bonifide offense that can beat the best of them. To be quite honest, it is hard for me to say bad thing against Herbert these days since he became a Charger. That whole Hurts vs. Herbert convo is beat to dead and i rather not. But one thing can't go without mention is that Hurts and Herbert came in under very circumstances. One was a second round pick that people to this day still has doubt about, one is a high first round typical franchise pick. Hurts has improved so much since he got drafted, his footwork, his throwing motion is more quite, upper body rotation. Dude can throw on the run just as well as in the pocket. On the other hand, the most noticible imporvement happens from college to pro; other than that his footwork hasn't improved to that pro level. For a QB with his playing style, it probably be best for him to be able to shuffle and set his base.

Watch Tom Brady go through a variety of drills at the 2000 NFL Scouting Combine.

Say what you want about him running like a drunk fret boy, Tom Brady can shuffle and move dropping back. See 00:31 in the video.

Also, one of the knock I remember of Brett Favre early career especially the falcons years, is that he didn't have the touch for dump offs. He threw heat and WR in atlanta couldn't handle it, but he couldn't complete a simple high RPM, high lobber to catch the RB on the run. Later in GB, you start to see the higher RPM and slower but higher, quicker release throws that spins out quick to give defense very little time to react.

Here is all of Brett Favre's passing accomplishments in his 1991 rookie season. This unbelievable performance helped convince Ron Wolf to trade a Packers 1s...

IMO Brett Favre learnt as he gets more seasoned the importance of how he delivers the ball, most noticibly imo the way he emphasize the spin, the RPM more and use it to control the flight on those lobbing screen dump offs and throw towering high long ball that fly stable with big spins on it seemingly dropping out of the sky. Those short side arm thing that Hebert does, i can trade that for a nice little lob for at least half the time.

Bret Favre, playing in the wake of his father's death in a critical Monday Night showdown in Oakland, has the best game of his career completing 22 of 30 pas...

Would love to see Herbert think more about touch since he already got the fast ball and placement down pretty well.

Lastly, I do think about sometimes, are the Chargers falling into that mindset that Herbert is proven and that they only had to built around him to be successful? Maybe perhaps are they a little complacent with Herbert's improvement so far? Herbert is beyond potential, he had done it he is very very talented; but it almost seems like he is going this far by talent right now. I see the fast ball and the placement, but I also see that he can't throw it any slower because defense that is ball watching knows its coming. Acho called Herbert a "Social Media QB", that was very harsh. I think what he meant probably was that Herbert's throwing motion is very choreographed. He has that classic javelin throwing motion that take it way back and whips it forward. Very linear, very big, Very Jeff George. Big motion gives tales, especially to good safeties and zone guys. Also, with the big motion, his off the script quick things are not his strength.

The fastball and placement was his bread and butter coming out and we got it, but to me I would like to see a nice dipping sinker, a big curve ball, the change up. Afterall, his arm suppose to be the thing that is his strength, so don't you want to see that arm has the whole repertoire?

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

How many games last year did we even see a healthy Dline in? Give me health.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I’m hopeful that our offense will be improved with a new OC but we lack reliable weapons. When Keenan and Mike were out we were completely devoid of anything resembling an nfl offense. Even with them both healthy we weren’t top shelf. We ignored the offense last off season and now it’s time to restock and add. Ekeler is not a bell cow back and will wear down if we continue to try and make him fill that role. TT has not been able to identify mid late round RBs. Or any RBs. But we need that guy.

id love a great LB. Would Staley? As for DT we invested in Austin Johnson, Day, Fox and Tito to man the IDL. If Johnson and Tito are healthy we should be ok. At this point, Staley has to show some acumen on the defensive side of the ball.

mid Herbert is our #1 hope get him more weapons

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Does anybody feel comfortable going into a PO game with one of MW or Allen out, and the rest of the receiving crew as is?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                      Does anybody feel comfortable going into a PO game with one of MW or Allen out, and the rest of the receiving crew as is?
                      Depends who we have at RB, and if the OLine is healthy.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

The WR situation

KC is in SuperBowl with Juju, Marques-Valdez, K. Toney and Skyy More.
                        The Chargers have KA, MW, J. Palmer and Guyton or Carter.
                        We don't have to be embarrassed with that !

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                          The WR situation

KC is in SuperBowl with Juju, Marques-Valdez, K. Toney and Skyy More.
                          The Chargers have KA, MW, J. Palmer and Guyton or Carter.
                          We don't have to be embarrassed with that !
                          I think you under credit the former group, and well the latter has to actually all be healthy and play together for more than a game or two before we know.

Comment

Working...
                          X