2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
    Lots of good players out there. I’m not going to get my hopes up.

I can just see the pick being so and so Guard from Central Michigan or Ogor Nose Tackle from North Dakota state.

but why get my hopes up for a Bijan Robinson or Jordan Addison or Flowers. If it does happen I’ll be surprised and jump like I’m Michael Jordan.
    Since Staley : Rashawn Slater, Zion Johnson were solid hits at a position of need.
    I see TE, LB, DT as top needs but if Staley/ TT agree with you, I won't be heartbroken. I hope whoever is an Elite whatever.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

all this talk 'bout wantin' the skill position candy/takin' the cheese, and.... still think we need to draft for every position on the Oline.... the OC, OG & OT, and.... NT as well.... LOS team.

other than that, think the only other real pressing need is @RB (albeit wouldn't mind looking in FA for both LB and an RB).
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        all this talk 'bout wantin' the skill position candy/takin' the cheese, and.... still think we need to draft for every position on the Oline.... the OC, OG & OT, and.... NT as well.... LOS team.

other than that, think the only other real pressing need is @RB (albeit wouldn't mind looking in FA for both LB and an RB).
        OL depth is a need. I'd roll the dice with a development player C day 2, sort through our current depth, FAs.
        AJ & Bash are good DL, Fehoko & Tito looked good but I'd watch for a DL BPA fairly early.
        FA + - will have some impact.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You believe there is nothing the players can do vs run without an Aaron Donald as long as Staley is HC/DC? LAR wasn't as good without Staley either.
          It's close to a lock the Chargers run D will be better with our players healthy, no other changes. It's also close to a lock that we'll add a DL and/or LB.
          Bottom run D is unlikely. It's a fair question to ask how much better.
          Not all top 10 or better scoring Ds (which is the goal) are top10 run Ds and not all top run Ds are top scoring Ds.
          We were 22nd vs scoring for the year. Totally unacceptable. We had some good games, more bad ones.
          That needs to flip.
          I know you’re a staley guy but come’on, I was too, his shitty defenses alone warranted him being fired considering he’s supposed to be a defensive genius…and you can’t pull the injury excuse, his defenses played their best when a ton of people were out, BUT it should be noted that was against mostly subpar offensive teams except for miami…

forget the awful ‘in season roster’ management, forget the litany of questionable game decisions, forget the sketchy time management decisions, forget the questionable personnel decisions, I don’t need any of those things to be out on Staley, no coach makes all the right decisions, but at the very least his defense should be a top ten NFL defense…that’s what he was hired to do!

Staley’s defenses have been a HUGE disappointment to me…I love defense, I’m probably in the minority of folks that would gladly pay admission to watch a great defense rip an opposing team to shreds, I love that shit! I’d rather have a dominant top 5 defense with an average offense than a top 5 offense with a defense ranked in the mid 20s which is what we’ve gotten from Staley…of course I’d rather have both units grade out in the top ten but for a defensive minded guy and so called guru, he just hasn’t produced, he’s already coached 35 games for the chargers and the defensive results are not there, not even after uncharacteristic spending by the spanii last offseason to bring in brandon’s guys…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

If they resign pipkins and bounce fieler? Then slater, salyer, linsley, johnson, pipkins will be a top ten O-line in the league in 2023, but there’s basically nothing behind them, no depth! They’ll need to draft at least one OL position in the top 3 rounds and then another OL again in the next 3 rounds, C/G and OT, the depth is still going to be horribly inexperienced so maybe you bring back aboushi on a cheap deal for added depth…jaimes was a wasted pick and is a total bust and needs to go, sarrell needs to be downgraded to OT#4 by a 4th round tackle draft pick, and the chargers should take their antibiotics and get rid of the clapp and replace him with that day 2 interior lineman…aboushi would bring experience in case salyer or johnson have to miss time…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
              Let's do this!
              • Aug 2022
              • Raleigh N. Carolina
              • Send PM

Picks 1 and 2 need to be front line starters. TE, NT or LB please

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I know you’re a staley guy but come’on, I was too, his shitty defenses alone warranted him being fired considering he’s supposed to be a defensive genius…and you can’t pull the injury excuse, his defenses played their best when a ton of people were out, BUT it should be noted that was against mostly subpar offensive teams except for miami…

forget the awful ‘in season roster’ management, forget the litany of questionable game decisions, forget the sketchy time management decisions, forget the questionable personnel decisions, I don’t need any of those things to be out on Staley, no coach makes all the right decisions, but at the very least his defense should be a top ten NFL defense…that’s what he was hired to do!

Staley’s defenses have been a HUGE disappointment to me…I love defense, I’m probably in the minority of folks that would gladly pay admission to watch a great defense rip an opposing team to shreds, I love that shit! I’d rather have a dominant top 5 defense with an average offense than a top 5 offense with a defense ranked in the mid 20s which is what we’ve gotten from Staley…of course I’d rather have both units grade out in the top ten but for a defensive minded guy and so called guru, he just hasn’t produced, he’s already coached 35 games for the chargers and the defensive results are not there, not even after uncharacteristic spending by the spanii last offseason to bring in brandon’s guys…
                Well said. Another year for me and I’m done (cuz he’s gonna be here one more year..).

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
                  Picks 1 and 2 need to be front line starters. TE, NT or LB please
                  Depending on what happens with tranquill, LB might be the only starting spot available on the defensive roster…They are not going to bench austin johnson (8mil per) or SJD (7mil per) for a rookie NT…they’re paying those guys to be starters, not backups…fehoko will make the 53 man roster out of preseason this year along with otito…so that’s 4 spots filled out of 6 maximum and they got a long look at hinton and moa to end the season, maybe they like one of those guys maybe both, IDK, I’m pretty sure covington is gone along with davison, that leaves moa, hinton, and gaziano fighting for the last two spots along with any draft picks or new UDRFAs…due to his experience in the scheme gaziano has the inside track to become the “poor man’s” morgan fox in the rotation leaving hinton and moa fighting for the 6th spot…it might and could still happen, but right now I’m thinking they won’t be drafting a d-lineman in this draft, that’s based on who is under contract and the money already committed plus the fact that we have good talent filling those positions…ME, I would draft a space eating monster and run stuffer but it’s been said that staley doesn’t value those types of players as they don’t see the field much in his scheme

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Staley’s defenses have been a HUGE disappointment to me…[B]I love defense, I’m probably in the minority of folks that would gladly pay admission to watch a great defense rip an opposing team to shreds, I love that shit![B] I’d rather have a dominant top 5 defense with an average offense than a top 5 offense with a defense ranked in the mid 20s which is what we’ve gotten from Staley…of course I’d rather have both units grade out in the top ten but for a defensive minded guy and so called guru, he just hasn’t produced, he’s already coached 35 games for the chargers and the defensive results are not there, not even after uncharacteristic spending by the spanii last offseason to bring in brandon’s guys…
                    I'm with you on D. I love that shit too.
                    The "GURU" shit is fan / press shit.
                    Staley makes no claims beyond his defensive history. The D season was a disappointment. I don't put him down for crushing teams he should. There were other good moments on D bur we were nor consistent. (players DO matter)
                    All that means nothing to me going forward. This year I EXPECT significant D improvement. He knows. If he can do nothing about it?
                    Not better in 2023? Staley's Chargers D sucks.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Since Staley : Rashawn Slater, Zion Johnson were solid hits at a position of need.
                      I see TE, LB, DT as top needs but if Staley/ TT agree with you, I won't be heartbroken. I hope whoever is an Elite whatever.
                      Hey man I agree with you on those picks. But this draft has to be about impact offensive players. Running back or Wide Receiver. That’s why I like Bijan Robinson or Jordan Addison.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                        Hey man I agree with you on those picks. But this draft has to be about impact offensive players. Running back or Wide Receiver. That’s why I like Bijan Robinson or Jordan Addison.
                        If we didn't have Herbert it would be a different story. But we do and in order to keep up with KC, Cincy, Buffalo we need weapons for Herbert.
                        We can have a much better defense especially if we learn to stop the run. But we're not going to beat those teams scoring 23ppg.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Slayer and MDubb can't stay healthy all year, Ekke is small and needs help and Everett is good but not great. I won't be shocked to see offensive weapons drafted early this year and for once I wouldn't be mad about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X