2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

I like Bijan in the 1st for a few reasons

The Jacksonville game. We couldn't run in the 2nd 1/2. This is partially due to injuries on the offensive line, but also due to not having a running back comparable to Ek on the roster

Ek is a great back, but he is also on the smallish side for a RB. We were very lucky he didn't miss substantial time to injury last year.

Robinson is a blue chip prospect. He's a different kind of runner than Ek, but great in his own way. Every time he touches the ball, it could go to the house.

With Robinson, every team would have to be concerned about the running back, on every play. Think of how someone like Ek, Barkley, Henry, etc. dictate to a defense.

I know this is a bit backhanded for logic, but I can't stomach the thought of him falling to the Chiefs or the Bills.

I get that we have a great starting running back, and the need for a running back is not prominant, but you can't pass up on a guy like this if he falls.
    I agree with everything you said. Some fans on this forum don't believe we should run the ball more than 10-15 times a game, so I ask those who feel that way why they would want to use a first-round pick on Robinson. I want to run the ball more, so I wouldn't hesitate to pick Robinson in the first round.

Comment

• Florida fan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

At the end of the day last year draft picks need to step up. They need to hit on more than 1or 2 pick. We need to draft starters in first two round. No more injury prone hi risk players. Find players who will be good backup year 1.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Florida fan View Post
        At the end of the day last year draft picks need to step up. They need to hit on more than 1or 2 pick. We need to draft starters in first two round. No more injury prone hi risk players. Find players who will be good backup year 1.
        Thing is you can't predict injuries. You see college players who weren't injured in college get injured often in the NFL.

Troy Palumalu was injured often at USC but wasn't at Pittsburgh so you never know.

Comment

• SK21209
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2020
          • San Diego
          • Send PM

Bijan Robinson is an excellent RB prospect, I’m just very wary of taking a RB in the first unless the conditions are basically perfect. The Eagles, for example, are already an awesome team with arguably the most complete roster in the league and they have the extra first rounder at #10. Basically, I’m not sure if you should ever take a RB in the first unless you have the luxury to do so.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

And you think we are on par with those teams? All those teams had great offenses when they won. Plus you're nit picking. That's just the tip of the
            ice berg. The Colts were the worst of the bunch. But they P. Manning and some elite receivers. Saints had Brees, Pats had Brady, Chiefs-Mahones/Hill/Kelce.
            The Giants had a great defense down the stretch. Ours didn't improve.

Our run D needs to get better otherwise teams will feast on converting 3rd downs.
            Gotta be realistic.

Mid pack. If our run-D can be mid-pack in the regular season and step it up in the playoffs (Assuming we're back on track to scoring 28 points per game) I like our chances in 2023. I mean look at the Chargers in 1st half against the Jags. That would give any team from Sunday problems. Mahommes with a gimpy leg. Bengals. 49ers with an unproven QB. The Eagles would be the big test.

Now if you're talking top 10 run defense with previous year being really bad. We need another LB or 2 if Tranquill leaves. Need better d-line depth due to injuries. Better offense to force opposing teams to play catch up and run less.

Now with those SB winning teams. They had bad run defenses and won the SB. Why and how? Run defense is lower tier compared to 1) Coaching, 2) QB talent, 3) effective pass rush when getting to and winning the SB. Run defense is an important element don't get me wrong.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

I am getting intrigued by this monster Darnell Washington

A TE who is 6'7" 280 who would be a deadly blocker, and can catch and move.

Might be a fun weapon for Herbert to use and us to watch. A good combine could send his stock rising

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Gotta be realistic.

Mid pack. If our run-D can be mid-pack in the regular season and step it up in the playoffs (Assuming we're back on track to scoring 28 points per game) I like our chances in 2023. I mean look at the Chargers in 1st half against the Jags. That would give any team from Sunday problems. Mahommes with a gimpy leg. Bengals. 49ers with an unproven QB. The Eagles would be the big test.

Now if you're talking top 10 run defense with previous year being really bad. We need another LB or 2 if Tranquill leaves. Need better d-line depth due to injuries. Better offense to force opposing teams to play catch up and run less.

Now with those SB winning teams. They had bad run defenses and won the SB. Why and how? Run defense is lower tier compared to 1) Coaching, 2) QB talent, 3) effective pass rush when getting to and winning the SB. Run defense is an important element don't get me wrong.
                Not true. The only team that had a bad run D were the Colts. The Giants D by the end of the year was elite. All the teams listed had elite QB and offenses (minus the Giants)..
                Teams ran on them to keep the ball away from their offense. It didn't work out as all won SB and except for the Giants it was on their QBs and offense.

If we were scoring 28 ppg we wouldn't be too worried about our D giving up 145 yard per game. We averaged 23 and were bad in the red zone. Of course we do need
                to improve our run D. We want the D to get 3 and out and get the ball in Herberts hands.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                  I am getting intrigued by this monster Darnell Washington

A TE who is 6'7" 280 who would be a deadly blocker, and can catch and move.

Might be a fun weapon for Herbert to use and us to watch. A good combine could send his stock rising
                  Don't get fooled by "highlights", I've seen games where he disappeared. (and that's not easy at his size).

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Don't get fooled by "highlights", I've seen games where he disappeared. (and that's not easy at his size).

It’s about prospect ceilings that sometimes makes you disregard their floor. Not sure, we can trust either coaching or evaluation process with Washington?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

It’s about prospect ceilings that sometimes makes you disregard their floor. Not sure, we can trust either coaching or evaluation process with Washington?
                      Difficult evaluation. Both Mayer and Kincaid had way better production. But Washington played for Georgia who had plenty of weapons. He was used primarily as a
                      blocker. Between the 3 I'd probably go with Kincaid. But I haven't seen enough of none of them. Besides their maybe better choices for BPA at #21. But in 2nd
                      round I would consider TE.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Difficult evaluation. Both Mayer and Kincaid had way better production. But Washington played for Georgia who had plenty of weapons. He was used primarily as a
                        blocker. Between the 3 I'd probably go with Kincaid. But I haven't seen enough of none of them. Besides their maybe better choices for BPA at #21. But in 2nd
                        round I would consider TE.
                        Well for me, it’s kinda a reset with signing Kellen Moore as new OC. One thing I’ve always admired about Cowboys is how well they develop and use the TE position. It’s really clear now, that Mayer is everything that fits and has been compared to Andrews who Herbert really clicked with. Only problem is I don’t expect him to make it where Chargers select. Don’t think Kincaid or Washington ideal fits? Might have to wait until 3rd for a player who could make immediate impact like Sam LaPorta, Iowa.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Good advice.
                          Have you watched Texas RB Bijan Robinson highlights? Knocked my socks off.
                          '22 stats: 258- 1580- 6.1 avg- 18 TDs I'd like your opinion on him.

Comment

Working...
                          X