2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

My mind is made up, I'm pointing that out for you lol.
    And I said they have shown no intention of it. It's clear he was signed to play OG.
    per usual.... to each their own/call it whatchu want, and....

if we cut Feiler, aren't we gonna be out looking for a vet backup regardless ??

is Feiler gonna be better or worse than what we can find/afford on the open market ??

just not into having more holes/?s on the Oline than we need....
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

per usual.... to each their own/call it whatchu want, and....

if we cut Feiler, aren't we gonna be out looking for a vet backup regardless ??

is Feiler gonna be better or worse than what we can find/afford on the open market ??

just not into having more holes/?s on the Oline than we need....
      Not necessarily. Salyer has shown he is starting material and they planned on him playing OG til he had to fill in for Slater.

I think he opened their eyes quite a bit that they weren't expecting.

If they keep Fieler then ok, cool but they need to shave the cap somehow and he looks to be one of the guys to do it. He is his last year of his deal.

Draft seems to be pretty good on the OL as well.

I edited my post you quoted , and commented talking about Bijan.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I don't buy that Staley doesn't value LBs. How can you not value a stud LB?
        ...That has value in pass D, run D, pass rush, run blitz. Good speed.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Feiler was easily the sixth best OL we fielded last season. Is that the definition of replaceable?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            I would cut Feiler and sign Pipkins.
            Me too, you’d just be transferring the money ($6.5 mil) fieler is scheduled to make to the RT position for a younger pipkins that’s still improving…and an added bonus is that this move would clear a little cap space too…the fieler cut pays for the pipkins cap hit in 2023 and as an added bonus you get an upgrade at LG in salyer…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              He’s scheduled to earn 8.5M, 6.5M is the cap savings we’d get by cutting him ($2M pro-rated bonus will hit no matter what). I don’t see why he would excel at RT when he’s been the weak link at LG. Not a bet I would make at all.

I’d love him as a reserve backup at $2M. He’s a lot better than Jaimes. Maybe he can play some C and backup Linsley - he could be better than Clapp too, who is horrible.
              I wasn’t saying I want fieler at RT as much as I was pointing out that he’s been playing out of position at LG, I think he would do better out in space and might even be more athletic and quicker than pipkins, both in lateral mobility and straight line speed used in pulling…he needs space to work tho…it’s a crying shame that he got pigeon holed into being the LG position when I think he could’ve been an above average RT for us since before pipkins got his groove…the tape that fieler put together in pitt at RT is not bad and his PFF grades where 7-8 points higher from his RT tape than from his best grades as a LG…I don’t understand why pitt moved him to LG before he left in FA for the chargers…

I would rather have the younger pipkins and cut the older fieler, that would be my preference…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Agree, we have to shave cap somehow and Fieler imo is a target. Salyer can take his spot, or Zion and move Salyer to RG. Either way, Salyer figures in a starting spot somewhere. Could be RT, who knows but we need depth in the draft as well.
                Sayler was a godsend last year but he still projects inside, he’s not quick enough at this level to stay outside for his career…the chargers used him out there out of necessity but the offense paid a price for it too because it limited things we had done with slater, they had to modify the types of run plays and even screens they could run with salyer on the outside, he simply doesn’t have the athleticism to kick out on pulls or screens…if you keep fieler over re-signing pipkins then fieler has to move to RT not salyer…in that scenario let both fieler and salyer play the positions that they are best suited to play…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Most folks who want to retain Feiler because they havent seen him play LG want to let Pipkins walk and roll the dice on landing a rookie that can start at a higher level on Day 1 at RT. I’d put RT as a higher risk/value and am happy with Pipkins play in 2022 and expect he will be even more solid in 2023.
                  at 21 who would be there that can come in day one? Maybe darnell wright, perhaps even dawan jones, but with the NFL draft being a total crap shoot what if both go higher than expected? Both of those guys will have growing pains as well, jones perhaps more than wright, and both have the potential to be much better than even an improved pipkins in like 2 years…jones has technique issues but his size alone could keep him afloat for awhile as he learns or perhaps not, wright I think is more polished and would be better right away but neither is at pipkins level right now, but the biggest issue is that no one can guarantee either guy will be there…

BTW, the drop off for right tackles is significant in round two, freeland and the guys in his tier like hayes are no where near the two players I mentioned in paragraph one, most of the second round guys will be even bigger projects than jones and wright…I like cody moach but he’s a bit light and for some reason the scouts are projecting him as a center/guard IDK why but that’s where he played at the senior bowl except for a few snaps at RT and he did look good at RT on those plays, but at 21 Cody would be a massive reach, massive! I have a mid to low 2nd round grade on mauch until I see his combine workout, but I doubt he moves into the first round even with a strong workout, maybe top of round 2 is his ceiling…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Finished watching the senior bowl and all the practice wrap ups and espn practice coverage too…some early impressions, I felt some guys on the offensive line might’ve moved up from where they were and others either stayed put or slid a bit…a lot of teams will get better on OL in this draft…

Moved up…

Schmitz center from minn moved into the first round, best center in the class, picks 18-31…

Wright RT moved up from the low first round, picks 10-25…

Jones RT moved up from 2nd round, picks 15-25…

Torrence G moved up from early 2nd, picks 20-31…

Stayed put…

mauch G/T early to mid 2nd round

dropped…

Freeland OT from 2nd to early 3rd round

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Nutty's OT rankings/round grades

1. Peter Skoronski - 1st round
                      2. Paris Johnson - 1st round
                      3. Broderick Jones - 1st round
                      4. Anton Harrison - Late 1st round
                      5. Darnell Wright - Late 1st round
                      6. Cody Mauch - 2nd round
                      7. Dawand Jones - 2nd round
                      8. Jaelyn Duncan - Late 2nd round
                      9. Jordan Morgan - Late 2nd round (depends on his knee)

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

will take O'Cyrus over the any of 'em,
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I was impressed with the OTs at the senior bowl, the ones at the east/west game not so much…there are guys that’ll be around in the 3-5 rounds that’ll be better depth than foster sarrell, the class offensive linemen overall has some nice depth

I know you want to let pipkins go but that would limit our options to getting a RT in round 1…plus it also robs us of an opportunity to add deoth at OT this year…but the chargers might just let pipkins go, they haven’t been resigning pre-staley guys under staley, so which of the guys that might be available at #21 do you think can come in and start?

Comment

Working...
                          X