2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

For some strange reason dawand jones scares me a bit, I get that boom or bust feeling from the guy…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It must be noted that Slater and Linsley played well with the veteran presence of Feiler between them.

Think for a moment everyone how the Chargers do things.

I don't think they cut Feiler.

Slater-Feiler-Linsley-Zion-Salyer
      Hi, Jamaree Salyer is not a RT. His arms are too short and he will get worked again like Jamaree did by DE Chandler Jones. He is a guard.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Hi, Jamaree Salyer is not a RT. His arms are too short and he will get worked again like Jamaree did by DE Chandler Jones. He is a guard.
        We used him at tackle as a last resort and now everyone things he belongs there, no one is bothering to notice how him playing tackle limited some of the things the team could run offensively…there are many examples of guards filling in when needed at tackle but that doesn’t mean they belong there, magic johnson played center for kareem once, I wonder if laker fans were clamoring for a position change then too?
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Did you really write you’d sit Linsley and put Salyer at C. Was Feiler to RT part of that same strategy or a different one, i got a bit lost in your brainstorming?

I agree with Top - Feiler was the weak link and should be gone unless he wants to resign for $2M as a backup. He doesn’t earn his cap allocation.
          weak link, even with a rookie 6th round pick starting @ LT it was the right side, with a 1st rd. rookie RG and once again mixed bag @ RT when Pipkins strained his mcl. that was weakest point or anytime Linsley missed time @ Center and Clapp played. The weak link is really the Chargers lack of depth on the offensive line. It's a bad idea to get rid of two working parts (if affordable) to actually build some depth with another draft pick. I don't know if Cody Mauch will be available for the Chargers in 2nd round or not? But get a young versatile offensive lineman who could play every single OL position and we might just get by?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

weak link, even with a rookie 6th round pick starting @ LT it was the right side, with a 1st rd. rookie RG and once again mixed bag @ RT when Pipkins strained his mcl. that was weakest point or anytime Linsley missed time @ Center and Clapp played. The weak link is really the Chargers lack of depth on the offensive line. It's a bad idea to get rid of two working parts (if affordable) to actually build some depth with another draft pick. I don't know if Cody Mauch will be available for the Chargers in 2nd round or not? But get a young versatile offensive lineman who could play every single OL position and we might just get by?
            Agreed. The fact that Salyer can even hold up at OT is big. I have mentioned the aspect of TE help before.

Mauch's position versatility is definitely a plus as we cull together an OL. We do not know exactly who and/or what will be involved as far as coaching and scheme goes.

There are prospects deft at Zone, Power, both etc.

We have not really seen how Salyer performs, in games and after opponents get tape, at OG. But we do know he can play OT at the NFL, and that has great value.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

will take O'Cyrus over the any of 'em,
              Fine with me! In case everyone forgot, we had Salyer playing LT better than Pipkins played RT.
              How about this, though... if you draft an OT, you also have a swing tackle... he's just playing LG temporarily.

Everybody is wanting depth at OL (me too).
              Oday Aboushi's knee looked pretty good. He'd only cost us $2 million.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                He’s scheduled to earn 8.5M, 6.5M is the cap savings we’d get by cutting him ($2M pro-rated bonus will hit no matter what). I don’t see why he would excel at RT when he’s been the weak link at LG. Not a bet I would make at all.

I’d love him as a reserve backup at $2M. He’s a lot better than Jaimes. Maybe he can play some C and backup Linsley - he could be better than Clapp too, who is horrible.
                Not sure how much Feiler would like being demoted to backup...then if he DOES have to start, he'd STILL be the weak link...I'd rather just cut him, along with Jaimes and Storm and draft/sign via FA their upgrades...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

wanted to add a thought re: RB as well, as Bijan had so so games against the both of TCU & Alabama, which doesn't sit so well w/me, as recall MG3 also not doing so very well against Ohio State, and.... know that plenty of peoples thought well of Melvin, and just an asterisk in wondering how Bijan might fare against NFL defenses ??

what comes to mind is when Marshall Faulk went up against USC, and everyone in the universe knew he was gonna get the ball, and.... he still went for 300 yards against the (vaunted) Trojans !!

know Israel Abanikanda had some good games, and.... haven't really taken a super close look @him.... ??
                  Marshall’s best year was 1530 yards in 12 games as a Jr. Mostly against WAC teams which were a big step down from Big12. Bijan had 1580 in 12 games this year. Its fair all teams keyed on him and he still got it, he was that good.

I wouldn’t take any one game as indicating anything, too many factors. He’s not MG3, he’s a lot faster and has more elusive cut moves, he slips defenders without losing speed. Texas OL was nothing like Wisconsin’s mauling road graders for MG3. Will he be HOF like Marshall - on that I don’t konw. But he’s better than MG3
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I was impressed with the OTs at the senior bowl, the ones at the east/west game not so much…there are guys that’ll be around in the 3-5 rounds that’ll be better depth than foster sarrell, the class offensive linemen overall has some nice depth

I know you want to let pipkins go but that would limit our options to getting a RT in round 1…plus it also robs us of an opportunity to add deoth at OT this year…but the chargers might just let pipkins go, they haven’t been resigning pre-staley guys under staley, so which of the guys that might be available at #21 do you think can come in and start?
                    I think any of the round 1 and round 2 OT's I listed could start immediately.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Draft OT (Round 1 or 2), sign Aboushi (FA), and draft a later round center... cut Jaimes if he doesn't show anything in camp.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We used him at tackle as a last resort and now everyone things he belongs there, no one is bothering to notice how him playing tackle limited some of the things the team could run offensively…there are many examples of guards filling in when needed at tackle but that doesn’t mean they belong there, magic johnson played center for kareem once, I wonder if laker fans were clamoring for a position change then too?
                        You cannot coach longer arms.

https://www.raiders.com/video/chandl...ek-13-nfl-2022

Here is the career game for Chandler Jones v. Jamaree Salyer at LT for the folks who clearly missed it. Watch Jones leverage Jammy with his length. Shorter arms kick inside to guard. Word to the wise, while you're free to, debating this doesn't make Jammy's arms any longer either.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

will take O'Cyrus over the any of 'em,
                          O'Cyrus at LG and Zion Johnson at RG and Jamaree Salyer as the swingman at OG? Am I getting this right? I think this has merit. I also believe that Salyer would be the next LG and Feiler can be released and Pipkens is signed to an extension.

Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Johnson/Pipkens

Comment

Working...
                          X