2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
    I am sticking with my crush on Darnell Washington

Big beast ran well and made catch of the day. Under used in college could become a killer blocker and devastating weapon as receiver
    Take him #21? Doubt he lasts til #54

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

“Underused in college” sounds a lot like…potential.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        TEs

Kincaid not running,... To run at pro day.

Mayer 4.72
        LaPorta 4.59
        Washington 4.65
        Kraft 4.7
        Musgrave 4.61
        Whyle 4.69
        Mallory 4.54
        Durham 4.87
        Schoonmaker 4.63
        Kuntz 4.55
        Washington at 4.65??? What!!!

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
          See rotating position groups each day, summarizing and digesting results. The two horrific elements to Staley build and right side of OL, even after addressing both in offseason is disturbing to say the least.

So doesn’t it have to be most impactful defensive prospect with sound tackling and edge versatility, rightful target? Great edge class, especially 1st rd.

Right side, specially RT must be addressed in 2nd as Chargers move on from Pipkins era.

I’ve done multiple mocks, board movement this draft class is all over. Getting cap down & tweaking roster in free agency will impact draft class greatly.

21. Nolan Smith, Edge Georgia 6’2” 238 32 5/8” arms (Slater 33”) ran 4.39 forty 1.52 10 yard split 41 1/2” vert and 10’ 8” bj. Most importantly the tape, leadership and Championship pedigree.
          I was dead set on a weapon at 21 but I can be sold on Smith.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
            I am sticking with my crush on Darnell Washington

Big beast ran well and made catch of the day. Under used in college could become a killer blocker and devastating weapon as receiver
            Not sure I'd say he was underused in college. The guy ahead of him is just a lot better and possibly a top 10 pick in 2024.
            I will say, he moved a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting around a 4.8 ish forty.
            So IF we picked him, I'd feel better about it but I sure hope we can get Kincaid instead of we pick a TE early.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Take him #21? Doubt he lasts til #54
              Yes would have to be 21 I think. I am intrigued with Kincaid at 21 also. Liking the thought of giving Herbert a weapon upgrade at TE and a speed WR in round 3, maybe edge in round 2.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Not sure I'd say he was underused in college. The guy ahead of him is just a lot better and possibly a top 10 pick in 2024.
                I will say, he moved a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting around a 4.8 ish forty.
                So IF we picked him, I'd feel better about it but I sure hope we can get Kincaid instead of we pick a TE early.
                Check out combine highlites. Made crazy one handed catch on sideline. Best catch of the entire day. This guy can be more than a blocker. Lets just say his stock rose today.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Dont disagree. Kincaid is probably my biggest wish at 21, more than any WR there.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Premier edge still on the board in 1st (#21). Better positional value at higher need. Really nice if for once Telesco could add additional draft capital, either through trades or moving back, but never seen Telesco work the board like he’s a real wheeler dealer. So in this scenario, optimum trading back, then selecting Washington and improve positioning from #54 to maybe sneak in that edge? If not, Kraft in 2nd, LaPorta 3rd, Durham 4th.
                    Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 03-05-2023, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Palm Springs
                      • I know nothing
                      • Send PM

Can you imagine Ekeker screens with Washington lead blocker. Business decisions by DBs.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                        Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Palm Springs
                        • I know nothing
                        • Send PM

Washington is the tight end equivalent of Derrick Henry

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

March 4, 2023 - 9:38 pm

A comment or two on today’s QB workout … If you aren’t aware by now that the QBs put on a terrific show at today’s combine work out, you probably just wandered on to the wrong site. Florida’s Anthony Richardson, for example, set multiple positional records in the physical testing and then showcased a cannon of an arm in the passing drills. Indeed, the ball was just exploding off his hand, although he did seem to be a bit wild on occasion when he didn’t really get his feet set. Meanwhile, Ohio State’s CJ Stroud may actually have had the better day in the end. Stroud isn’t going to wow anyone with his athleticism, but he’s just such a natural passer with textbook footwork and a really smooth delivery.

In fact, we’ll leave the detailed analysis to those with a higher pay grade; indeed, what we’re wondering about is what all this means for the top of the 2023 draft. One certainly got the feeling, that at least on the day, Stroud and Richardson left Kentucky’s Will Levis, the other top QB prospect to work out today, in their collective dust. Its also hard not to feel that, again at least for the moment, the big three QBs are now four. One also gets the feeling that while teams around the league still don’t see a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow in this year’s class, they also don’t see a Zach Wilson or Trey Lance.

Meanwhile, several other QBs appeared to throw the ball very well today, in particular, UCLA’s Dorian Thompson-Robinson, along with Purdue’s Aidan O’Connell, Houston’s Clayton Tune and Stetson Bennett of Georgia whereas Max Duggan of TCU and Louisville’ s Malik Cunningham really didn’t.

March 4, 2023 - 8:43 pm

Post workout thoughts on combine WRs … One of the questions heading into the combine was whether Tennessee WR Jalin Hyatt rightly belonged to be grouped with the top 4-5 receivers for this year’s draft or whether he was still more a leading second-tier type. And we likely won’t know the final answer to that question, maybe even until the draft itself. If nothing else, Hyatt certainly made a strong case for the former with his combine workout earlier today as he ran a fast 4.40 40 while adding very athletic leaps of 40-inches in the vertical and 11.5′ in the LJ. Same for Boston College’s Zay Flowers who still isn’t very big – he measured in at 5-9, 192 with short 29″ arms – but he ran a 4.42 40 and dominated the drills with several NFL people commenting on how smooth and natural he was. Meanwhile, TCU’s Quenton Johnson did not run the 40, but did have an athletic 40.5-inch vertical and an 11-plus-foot LJ after measuring in at a robust 6-2.5, 208 with 33″ arms.

On the other hand, some of the other top-rated receivers weren’t able to check off as many boxes. As expected, for example, Southern Cal’s Jordan Addison isn’t all that big at just 5-11, 173 with barely 31″ arms, but I expect NFL teams were expecting way more than a 4.49 40, a 34″ vertical and a 10-foot LJ (although it was confirmed after the workout that he had to leave early after experiencing tightness in his back.) Meanwhile, if LSU’s Kayshon Boutte was hoping for a bounce at the combine after a monumentally disappointing season, he didn’t get it as he was timed in 4.50 seconds for the 40 and could only manage a less than athletic 29″ vertical. Both Josh Downs (4.48) of North Carolina and SMU’s Rashee Rice (4.51) were also probably hoping to run faster, although Downs did have a 38.5″ vertical, while Rice had a 41″ vertical and an 11-foot LJ.

We also tend to be a little reluctant to get too excited by fast times at the combine, but the two WRs that we think may have helped themslves the most were Charlie Jones from just down the road at Purdue and Cincinnati’s Tre Tucker. Both have in fact have been moving up boards around the league for awhile and just put a punctuation mark on it at the combine. Jones, another smallish receiver at 5-11, 175, for example, had a 4.44 40 clocking with a quick 1.51 split, while also chipping in a 36.5″ vertical. Tucker, for his part, gad a 4.41 40 and a 37.5″ vertical, although his size may be limiting as he is under 5-9 with sub-29″ arms. On the other hand, teams looking for a bigger body at the position might want to check out a couple of sleeper types in Matt Landers of Arkansas and Bryce Ford-Wheaton of west Virginia. Both measured in at 6-4 and both ran just under 4.4 seconds, and had impressive verticals; Landers, in particular, also caught the ball well in positional drills.

March 4, 2023 - 7:23 pm

TEs fast in 40 timing … They had to wait a while today to get on the field, but the TEs did not disappoint when they finally did get to run their 40-yard dashes earlier this evening. In fact, of the 13 TEs who did run, 11 clocked in at under 4.75 seconds. The group was led by Miami’s Will Mallory (4.54) and Iowa’s Sam LaPorta (4.59) both of whom were under 4.6. Of note, Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer, who has generally been considered the top prospect at the position with possibly top 10-15 potentially ‘only’ ran a 4.72. Also, for the record, Utah’s Dalton Kincaid, the other TE getting plenty of first-round buzz, did not run because of a back injury.

March 4, 2023 - 4:46 pm

Full WR 40 times posted … Here are the combined 40 times for the two groups of WRs working out at the combine today. Note the times for players in the firts group are official, while those for the second group are still unofficial, but there have been only minor differences in the unofficial and official times over the past couple of days. And while several players still have to run their 2nd heat, there hasn’t been quite as much speed as had been expected. Indeed, no WR run under 4.3 with Nebraska’s Trey Palmer leading the way with a 4.33, followed by TCU’s Derius Davis at 4.36 and 6-5 Matt Landers of Arkansas at 4.37. Among the top-rated receivers, Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee blitzed a 4.40, while Zay Flowers of Boston College impressed with a 4.42 clocking. Meanwhile, Josh Downs (4.48) of North Carolina and USC’s Jordan were about a half step slower at just under 4.5, while Tennessee’s Cedric Tillman was another half step back at 4.55.

March 4, 2023 - 4:11 pm

AR puts on show at combine … He still has throw to the ball, but so far Florida QB Anthony Richardson is putting on an athletic show at the combine this faternoon. Richardson, who weighed in at 6-4, 244, ran a 4.44 40 after posting jumps of 40.5″ in the vertical and 10.5″ in the LJ.

March 4, 2023 - 1:48 pm

USC’s Addison quicker in second run … After a disappointing 4.55 clocking in his first 40-yard run, USC’s Jordan Addison, who a lot of teams have at the top of their WR board, posted a second run of 4.49 which still isn’t super fast but it is closer to checking off the box.

March 4, 2023 - 1:41 pm

Better times for WRs Flowers, Hyatt … Pretty good times for a couple of top-rated WRs as Tennessee’s Jalin Hyatt ran an unofficial 4.41 time, while Boston College’s Zay Flowers came in at 4.42.

March 4, 2023 - 1:27 pm

USC’s Addison first WR to run … USC’s Jordan Addison, who a lot of teams have at the top of their WR board, was the first receiver to run their 40 this afternoon, but his 4.55 clocking isn’t really what was expected.

March 4, 2023 - 1:23 pm

Combine update … Just a note that may be a little difficult tracking the baseline numbers for the QBs and receivers as it appears there going to break into groups with four QBs and a certain number of receivers. So we’ve had four QBs run and now we’ll get several receivers.

March 4, 2023 - 12:42 pm

Tide QB Young passes 200 mark … The biggest question mark of the 2023 combine has been answered as Alabama QB Bryce Young tipped the scales this morning at 204 pounds. Young, the presumptive #1 pick at the upcoming draft, has reportedly been frantically trying to bulk up in the days heading to the combine amid concerns that he was actually only about 190 pounds. At the same time, Young only measured in at a tad over 5-10, a little shorter than expected, but that was not the major concern. For the record, the other three potential top 10 QB passed the size test. Ohio State’s CJ Stroud, for example, came in at 6-3, 213, while both Will Levis of Kentucky and Florida’s Anthony Richardson measuring in at 6-4, with Levis weighing 229 and Richardson a very stout 244. Also for the record, all three guys have over 10-inch hands, while Young’s was just under 1o, so we won’t have small hands controversy like last year with Kenny Pickett.

March 4, 2023 - 12:18 pm

More thoughts on the DB work out … As noted in the opener to the last post, there is plenty to chew on from last night’s defensive backs workout and GBN Associate Editor Pigskin Paul Guillemette offers his unique insight into yesterday’s proceedings here.

March 4, 2023 - 10:18 am

Morning after thoughts from DB workout … There was a lot to chew on at yesterday’s on-field workout for the defensive backs at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. We are also always reluctant to read too much into the combine results as for the most part we suspect that NFL teams already know most of what we see on the field in Indy. That said, it would be hard not to at least try and make the case that Oregon CB Christian Gonzalez made the case to be the #1 pick at the position s he clearly and emphatically checked all the boxes. Read more

March 4, 2023 - 9:28 am

QB, receivers set to work out on day three of combine … It is arguably the biggest day of the combine with the QBs, WRs and TEs slated to work out beginning at 1 PM ET later this afternoon. Of course, the QBs are the big draw with three of the top 4 prospects at the position – CJ Stroud of Ohio State, Kentucky’s Will Levis and Anthony Richardson of Florida – set to do a full work out this afternoon. Alabama’s Bryce Young Young, on the other hand, has opted to wait for the Tide’s pro day – on March 23rd – to do his thing. And the truth is that nobody much cares as NFL teams know he can spin it with the best. What they do want to see is just how big – or small – he is and will get that in the weigh-in where ‘200’ will be the magic number for Young. Meanwhile, one can probably expect another track meet to break out when the WRs do their 40s as their is a lot of pure speed in that group, while the TEs are intriguing simply because its such a talented group, although Utah’s Dalton Kincaid, one of the top prospects at the position won’t work out because of a back issue. The NFL Network will have all the action starting at 1 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X