2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

#1 We may not have Allen. He'll cost $21M against the cap unless we: cut his salary / release him / restructure contract
    #2 We had Allen, MW, Palmer and Guyton this year and 3/4 got injured. What makes one think it won't happen with one of Allen/MW/Palmer or Guyton next year?.
    #3 Palmer is decent backup but he scares no one.
    #4 Without Guyton we have no speed or separation at WR.
    #5 Our TEs are average
    #6 Because of all of the above we are not good in red zone passing TDs.

If you want to compete with likes of KC, Buffalo, Cincy and even Miami Herbert will need more and better weapons. This also includes a better run game.
    Not sure if a WR or TE in the 1st round is in the cards because we so many needs at different positions. But it should definitely be on our radar.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I wanted Christian Watson last year. One thing about wanting a speed guy. Speed is not enough, he has to be a threat at all three levels or teams will know how to contain him. That said you do have a couple of option later in the draft, not supposed to that but do you want to depend on a 6th round rooky WR if we are playing Palmer and the rooky?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’m not convinced this team needs to draft a starting WR, speed guy yes, but he could be a 3-5 round guy that starts out returning kick offs and they create a small role in the offense to start, we have 3 starting caliber WRs right now in keenan, palmer, and williams…not sure where this idea that we need to draft starters in round one otherwise it’s a wasted pick, this is a more complete team now so there won’t be as many starting positions needing to be filled…
        In the first round Id go TE Mayer or Robinson RB, if both are gone the top OT! You have to look at the Cowboys O, they were at their best with a top TE and 2 RB's! I would bet if they release Allen the first thing they do is sign Pip! Maybe go WR in the 2nd round!

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          BTW, the recievers in this draft are not as good as in the last 4-5 years, complete wr? Who qualifies this year? Maybe one of the 4.5 guys but then you are back to having a bunch of 4.5 guys…
          Nothing wrong with that. 4.5 isn't slow, it just isn't blazing.
          A 4.5 guy with YAC ability is fine with me. That ability is the bigger key.
          Welker, Kupp....4.65 and 4.62 guys.

I don't know what you guys invision but we aren't going to run go routes every play.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            I wanted Christian Watson last year. One thing about wanting a speed guy. Speed is not enough, he has to be a threat at all three levels or teams will know how to contain him. That said you do have a couple of option later in the draft, not supposed to that but do you want to depend on a 6th round rooky WR if we are playing Palmer and the rooky?
            Your call on Watson was money, Jon. I remember it. Stronger chance of WR taken in the 1st Round in 2023, IMO.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Keeanu Benton DI Wisconsin

Check out this rep by Keeanu.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

I want that guy !

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

the reality is that there were Keenan comparable wideouts in last year's draft, and.... they were off the board by 17, and....

lotta peoples bagged on my hankering for George Pickens, and regardless we traded away our second round pick that coulda been the Keenan replacement that the many some of you are hankering for.

and this year peoples were panning the suggestion to go RB1 or TE2 early, and then they finally got around to watching tape on Bijan, and then Kincaid, Musgrave, Mayer and Darnell, and now they're singing a different tune.

and now peoples are shouting from the rooftops and pounding the table for a Keenan replacement WR, and.... you are just going by position and not naming names.

who is this Keenan replacement receiver that will be on the board @21, let alone anywhere in this draft ??

is there a Pro Bowl receiver in this draft ??

do think there might be a Pro Bowl OG, Pro Bowl nickelback/star in this draft.... albeit along w/Will Anderson and Jalen Carter, not sure they'll be on the board come 21.

drafting for need, let alone for want is never a good longterm strategem.... personally sure wouldn't take linemen off my board @21.... we are still building folks.... easy on the eye candy.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

In the first round Id go TE Mayer or Robinson RB, if both are gone the top OT! You have to look at the Cowboys O, they were at their best with a top TE and 2 RB's! I would bet if they release Allen the first thing they do is sign Pip! Maybe go WR in the 2nd round!
                    I love those two players. I’m starting to dig what the guys are laying down about a Rd 3-4 speed receiver as it is likely he gets limited snaps. Mayer or Robinson would be on the field a lot. I’m leaning to Bijan because I think we really need an elite power back to pair with Eke and really scare the fuck out our DCs. Suddenly our current WRs will start to get open more.

Reading TT’s comments someone posted - moving Salyer to RT is in no way off of their table. Maybe they do let Pipkins walk and draft an OG. I’d be scared of that - we’re back to only 2 quality OTs on the roster and we’ve done that about 8 times the last decade and oh, about 8 times one of them were hurt and our OL folded like a cheap lawn chair. I hope he realizes we need 3 OTs that are capable of starting, Sarrell ain’t it, not close and not getting there anytime soon.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Christian Watson was a second round draft pick last year. I think the second round comes after the 17th pic...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Duck of Death
                        Social Piranha
                        • May 2022
                        • Flyover, USA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nothing wrong with that. 4.5 isn't slow, it just isn't blazing.
                        A 4.5 guy with YAC ability is fine with me. That ability is the bigger key.
                        Welker, Kupp....4.65 and 4.62 guys.

I don't know what you guys invision but we aren't going to run go routes every play.
                        No argument there. But currently, there isn’t anyone on the roster that poses as a legit take-it-to-the-house type of threat after the catch, much less even gain an inch of separation on said go route. Such a threat alone can open up all sorts of possibilities underneath. Let’s not forget that in 2020, Guyton & Johnson combined for 48 catches, 909 yards, 6 TDs, and an 18.9 ypc avg. Let’s also not forget that this was accomplished by a rookie QB, passing to rookie receivers, with literally the worst offensive line in the NFL. Interesting side note is that it was actually the first time in ages that the Chargers finally featured some legit speed at WR. So why go away from that approach? If you are lucky enough to own an accurate, long distance cannon, why not provide some long distance ammo? I get the “football players first” philosophy, but I also don’t think its sound strategy to completely ignore the need for speed in today’s NFL.

Comment

• nomad1946
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2017
                          • West Yellowstone, Montana
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

So what happens if they release both Allen and Mack? Frees up a lot of cap space and produces two holes.

Comment

Working...
                          X