2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

2 straight years of O Line in the 1st round. So what? It is still injury prone and not one of the best.
    Can't win a SB until it gets better.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Boltjolt;n1473335]
      Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'd argue we can get any of them outside round 1 including a OT in round 2.....if we need one. I think BPA is the way to go in any of these positions.

LB you say we need a starter, a better starter anyways,....and I'd agree. The three best are in late round one to round 2 with 2 of them likely not making it to us in round 2.

We need a nickle back as of this moment. Branch would be the best get.....he is round 1.

I'm just not passing on Bijan if he makes it to us. Ekeler has said he wants someone to help share the load. What he has done is irrelevant to that. We need another to step up.
      Keenan is awesome, not a playmaker type we are thinking of in this situation.

Need an edge to at least be better than Rumph has been or if one of Bosa and Mack get injured. Joey is almost a given these days.

TE is weak other than the guy in his last year of his contract.

I'm very skeptical of Woods, though I expect Imrovement, and kinda have concerns if Austin Johnson will be 100 % to start the season.

I'd like to see the TEAM get better.

BPA is my process.
      I think you could get an OT in the 2nd... they just wouldn't be nearly as good as the OT you could get with #21.
      I've got 4 OT's in the 1st. If they're all gone... I'm BPA and would go CB (Brian Branch would be in my round 1 cluster).
      Pundits are sleeping on Clark Phillips right now... but he's in my 1st round cluster, too.

I can see a number of CB's in the 2nd round that are better than the 2nd round OT's.

I can live with a LB in the 2nd round. But the 3rd and 4th round will have some good ones, too.
      I see OT and CB as more important to building a better team. I suspect CB's in round 2 will be better than LB's or OT's... or any other position.

Edge and DT are funny... I see guys in the 3rd and 4th that I think will be nearly as good as guys in the 2nd round.

If Bijan is nearly as good as LT... he'll be long gone by #21. It's funny to hear guys go on and on about Bijan... only to hear them say that he might be there @#21.
      It ain't going to happen.

My sole purpose is to make the whole team better by drafting BPA every round. I just value OT's more than most.
      I couldn't give a hoot if Chargers pick 3 first-round OL 3 years in a row... if they make us a better TEAM. That's all that matters.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

BTW... your team can't be better if you can't pass block or run block.
        Right now, we're doing neither very well. Replace Feiler and Pipkins... and we get much better... all the way around.
        No WR or RB @#21 will do that. They will be no better than starters already there.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Right now, we're doing neither very well. Replace Feiler and Pipkins... and we get much better... all the way around.
          No WR or RB @#21 will do that. They will be no better than starters already there.
          I still think Bijon could overcome this o lines limitations.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Move Salyer to LG and Pip at RT imo is an upgrade overall by replacing Fieler. Just need better OL depth.
            RB is a devalued possition. Najee, Etienne both went after #21. Breece Hall went top of the second round. Barkley is the last RB to go top 10.

I never called Bijan an LT equivalent. But he is a good back who breaks a lot of tackles and has great vision and cut ability.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-10-2023, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Gross overstatement. Are they the top OL in the league? No, but they’re far from the worst. Coaching of the OL took a step back last season. They just need to play better as a unit. I don’t care how good your OL is if you do t have playmakers you’re gonna have a pedestrian offense. They barely beat a bunch of weak teams last season. There’s a lot of room for improvement. I certainly don’t want to see games with guys like Palmer, Bandy and Moore as the starting wide outs. That was ugly

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

On second contracts, TEs come at half the price of WRs. So they’re pretty cost efficient on a dollar per catch basis. Drafting a pass receiving TE in the first does appear to provide solid long term value.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Gross overstatement. Are they the top OL in the league? No, but they’re far from the worst. Coaching of the OL took a step back last season. They just need to play better as a unit. I don’t care how good your OL is if you do t have playmakers you’re gonna have a pedestrian offense. They barely beat a bunch of weak teams last season. There’s a lot of room for improvement. I certainly don’t want to see games with guys like Palmer, Bandy and Moore as the starting wide outs. That was ugly
                  I think we can all agree that the o-line wasn’t very good last year. But we can’t forget that while Salyer held his own, he isn’t Slater. Linsley and Pipkins playing injured much of the year and their replacements being bad. When healthy a line of Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Zion/Pipkins has the potential to be a top 10 unit. So if they re-sign Pipkins then you draft swing tackle and IOL In mid to late rounds. I really think getting the right TE who can be a strong in-line blocker with some receiving ability is key to unlocking a versatile and less predictable offense (along with speed WR in rounds 3/4). I know a lot of folks want Kincaid for his receiving ability, but I think Mayer or Washington are the best plays here (or if they go edge in rd1 LaPorta in the 2nd). Hoping they don’t sign Schultz…with the depth of this draft class I think it’s smarter to draft one in the first 2 rounds).

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

I think we can all agree that the o-line wasn’t very good last year. But we can’t forget that while Salyer held his own, he isn’t Slater. Linsley and Pipkins playing injured much of the year and their replacements being bad. When healthy a line of Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Zion/Pipkins has the potential to be a top 10 unit. So if they re-sign Pipkins then you draft swing tackle and IOL In mid to late rounds. I really think getting the right TE who can be a strong in-line blocker with some receiving ability is key to unlocking a versatile and less predictable offense (along with speed WR in rounds 3/4). I know a lot of folks want Kincaid for his receiving ability, but I think Mayer or Washington are the best plays here (or if they go edge in rd1 LaPorta in the 2nd). Hoping they don’t sign Schultz…with the depth of this draft class I think it’s smarter to draft one in the first 2 rounds).
                    Washington as he could eventually be used in a pinch @ LT thus killing two birds with one stone. No longer need to carry parham dead weight (injury prone).

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Washington as he could eventually be used in a pinch @ LT thus killing two birds with one stone. No longer need to carry parham dead weight (injury prone).
                      I’m also leaning towards Washington. Was hoping we could get him in the 2nd, but think that ship has sailed and we’ll need to draft him in rd1 if we want him. Perfect world would be a trade down, get an extra day 2 pick and Washington late first. But if we are serious about being a trench team and having a more balanced and effective offense I think this would make the most sense. Think edge is in play in the 1st though…so might end up being a day 2 TE.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Move Salyer to LG and Pip at RT imo is an upgrade overall by replacing Fieler. Just need better OL depth.
                        RB is a devalued possition. Najee, Etienne both went after #21. Breece Hall went top of the second round. Barkley is the last RB to go top 10.

I never called Bijan an LT equivalent. But he is a good back who breaks a lot of tackles and has great vision and cut ability.
                        Yes, the optimal move would be to replace Feiler with Salyer. He could even be your OT depth should someone get hurt @OT. But you would need depth @OG to take over for him should he need to take over @OT again. They should be looking @depth @IOL in this draft. Again, my real problem w/Pip is his ROI at this point. He's just OK. I think it's stupid to pay above average salary for average play.

Better players are getting re-structured and/or extended. That is pushing salary down the line... with Herbert's contract also on the horizon. I'd hate to shed better players because I have an average RT on an above-average contract. I'd much rather have a better player on a cheaper contract.

You may have not called Bijan LT... but many are hinting at it. I think he's good enough to go before #21.
                        RB is a devalued position... it's weird people are pining for a 1st round RB... when we already have a very productive one.
                        We have 2 RB's that have been seldom used (Kelley/Spiller)... I'll be really surprised if we select a RB early.
                        I'd get a tide riser (RT) to float all boats.

Najee has been a waste in Pittsburgh... I feel sorry for him. Steelers have always invested in OL. And now this... So sad.
                        Etienne is good... when he's healthy. Hall should be good... when healthy. But have they really impacted their teams...?

I'm not going to get emotionally entangled with a player that probably won't even be there.
                        I won't become entangled in post-21 "playmakers" when the stats/history prove that they'll be half as productive as the playmakers we already have... at least in the 1st year.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Yes, the optimal move would be to replace Feiler with Salyer. He could even be your OT depth should someone get hurt @OT. But you would need depth @OG to take over for him should he need to take over @OT again. They should be looking @depth @IOL in this draft. Again, my real problem w/Pip is his ROI at this point. He's just OK. I think it's stupid to pay above average salary for average play.

Better players are getting re-structured and/or extended. That is pushing salary down the line... with Herbert's contract also on the horizon. I'd hate to shed better players because I have an average RT on an above-average contract. I'd much rather have a better player on a cheaper contract.

You may have not called Bijan LT... but many are hinting at it. I think he's good enough to go before #21.
                          RB is a devalued position... it's weird people are pining for a 1st round RB... when we already have a very productive one.
                          We have 2 RB's that have been seldom used (Kelley/Spiller)... I'll be really surprised if we select a RB early.
                          I'd get a tide riser (RT) to float all boats.

Najee has been a waste in Pittsburgh... I feel sorry for him. Steelers have always invested in OL. And now this... So sad.
                          Etienne is good... when he's healthy. Hall should be good... when healthy. But have they really impacted their teams...?

I'm not going to get emotionally entangled with a player that probably won't even be there.
                          I won't become entangled in post-21 "playmakers" when the stats/history prove that they'll be half as productive as the playmakers we already have... at least in the 1st year.
                          I agree with you on this, would rather see them let pip walk and then draft a guy like darnell wright than see them resign pipkins and draft robinson…our RB has lead the entire fucking league in touchdowns the last two years and so I can’t understand why people want a RB, that and kelley looked much MUCH improved last year and we still haven’t even seen what spiller can do, I don’t get the RB talk when we have a stud like ekeler on the roster
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X