2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ekeler is no dummy. He knows the wear and tear he’s taking and the career of an NFL RB is short. But there’s no reason a guy like him can’t last for another 5 years IF he has someone to share the load with. He can morph into a Ronnie Harmon/James White role and still make big plays, score TDs and prolong his career
    I blame Lombardi for some of that, Kelley was playing well and then he would get yanked and end up with like 4-5 touches on 10 plays…Ekeler keeps his body in netter condition than 99% of all NFL players, he’s got 2-3 good years left in him even if they don’t decrease his load, but I think they will, moore used two backs really well in dallas, only a couple of other teams were in that conversation, maybe the niners, eagles? But I am confident that we will see an offense that will make way better use of our current stable of RBs in 2023…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I blame Lombardi for some of that, Kelley was playing well and then he would get yanked and end up with like 4-5 touches on 10 plays…Ekeler keeps his body in netter condition than 99% of all NFL players, he’s got 2-3 good years left in him even if they don’t decrease his load, but I think they will, moore used two backs really well in dallas, only a couple of other teams were in that conversation, maybe the niners, eagles? But I am confident that we will see an offense that will make way better use of our current stable of RBs in 2023…
      We have another guy that gets us some yards by running - Herbert. His running was restricted last year due to the rib injury but he can help with his legs. Will our new OC use him in that way?
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I agree with you on this, would rather see them let pip walk and then draft a guy like darnell wright than see them resign pipkins and draft robinson…our RB has lead the entire fucking league in touchdowns the last two years and so I can’t understand why people want a RB, that and kelley looked much MUCH improved last year and we still haven’t even seen what spiller can do, I don’t get the RB talk when we have a stud like ekeler on the roster
        Ekeler is getting old by NFL rb standards.
        I'm not on the Bijan Robinson choo choo train, but i wouldn't cry over drafting him.

However, you probably will have some stud available in round 3: you just need to identify him.

If drafted, Bijan better be fucking elite, or many here will have to walk the plank.

I want to go bpa this draft, and not worry about what my needs are....holes will pop up with injuries anyhow,
        and Staley/Telesco will not be able to fill them adequately.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im not replacing Ek. They would be a great tandem with Bijan able to be the bigger guy to ear down defenses and be a GL guy as well. Ek would be great chance of pace guy to Robsinsons ability to break tackles. Gibbs doesnt provide that. If we drafted Bijan, id be OK with cutting Kelly.
          And while the Chargers are wearing down defenses, they are 2 touchdowns behind.
          It gets back to the statement, that was roundly chastized here, about moving away from being a pass first team when drafting Bijan.

Do we have the defense to play ball control low scoring football games?
          And with Herbert, is this a wise course?

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Palmer I'm fine with. He has improved every year (72 receptions last year). Bandy and Moore are not good enough... I agree with you there. I would like the Chargers to improve their depth @WR. But we're talking about receivers to fill #4 and #5 spots. There are mid/late WR's out there. WR's with speed and return abilities.

I agree... the OL coaching took a step back. Although Salyer stepped in admirably, he isn't Slater. Feiler's abilities are on the decline. It's nice to have Salyer there to step into the LG position. We can get under the cap by 3/15 by cutting Feiler... that move seems eminent. Having Slater, Salyer, and Linsley next to each other solidifies that left side.

Zion's performance was actually a little underwhelming to me... he had some struggles. Year 2 should be a quantum leap for him. He should understand the RG position better in Year 2. Everybody was geeked out to see Pipkins play @ a much improved standard of play. But IMO, he was still only average. Many times, the Chargers had to roll extra protection his way. That's a waste of a RB or TE. And Pipkins didn't look good in the run game. He's kind of top heavy, unbalanced, and not very powerful. I think an upgrade @RT would make the whole offense much better. Kellen Moore hopefully signals that we will be more balanced and more efficient on offense. Staley talked about being more balanced last off-season and that running the ball made opposing defenses play their gaps and tackle. Running the ball is important because it let's your offensive line be more physical and makes opposing defenses play honest. I'm pretty sure that Lombardi was let go because he wasn't able to implement any of those concepts. But to do that, we have to have a better, more physical RT than Pipkins.

We have playmakers. Keenan is a top possession receiver. Converting 3rd downs and/or being in 2nd/3rd-and-short situations will allow your offense to be balanced and multiple. Also allows you to implement play-action more often. And that will slow down the pass-rush... and make LB's/safeties play honest. It creates spaces in a defense and allows for shots down the field. Pure speed doesn't guarantee your success to convert deeper patterns. Much of that starts up front. Staley talked about that at the end of the season specifically.

Ignore all of these things at your own peril. Just don't be too disappointed when the Chargers don't select an early 2nd round WR with the #21 pick.
            Keenan is great as a possession guy. But he was out 1/2 of the season. And he’s not a threat to take it to the house at any time. That’s what we need. I don’t care if it’s WR, RB or whatever. We need someone capable of “explosive” plays. I also don’t care where they find that guy.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It gets back to the statement, that was roundly chastized here, about moving away from being a pass first team when drafting Bijan.

Drafting Bijan means we aren't scoring as many points and we will run when behind?
              Where do you get that crazy idea?

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Drafting Bijan wouldn’t mean we are abandoning the pass. That’s not the direction. It’s giving Ek a change of pace back to pair with with and allowing us to close out games. Would have been nice to have that in Jax

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

We have another guy that gets us some yards by running - Herbert. His running was restricted last year due to the rib injury but he can help with his legs. Will our new OC use him in that way?
                  Not counting the year when he missed most of the season dak had 52, 48, and 45 rushes under moore…last year herbert ran 54 times for like 147 yards, prescott ran 45 times for 182 yards…the difference is that moore likes to roll his QBs out more and it just happens that herbert has some of the best efficiency numbers when rolling out in the NFL…if you are concerned that herbert is going to be used like josh allen under moore, don’t worry, that is not going to happen…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Drafting Bijan wouldn’t mean we are abandoning the pass. That’s not the direction. It’s giving Ek a change of pace back to pair with with and allowing us to close out games. Would have been nice to have that in Jax
                    Drafting Bijan is a luxury pick for a team who is borderline good and yet is drafting inside top 15. If we think this way and move up to top 10 we have to give up too much and it will back fire like the JC Jackson thing.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Not counting the year when he missed most of the season dak had 52, 48, and 45 rushes under moore…last year herbert ran 54 times for like 147 yards, prescott ran 45 times for 182 yards…the difference is that moore likes to roll his QBs out more and it just happens that herbert has some of the best efficiency numbers when rolling out in the NFL…if you are concerned that herbert is going to be used like josh allen under moore, don’t worry, that is not going to happen…
                      He wasn't saying Herbert will run by design but that he can. Last year he couldn't run for a while and when he could, he slid early to avoid a hit since he was likely still sore, which will skew the numbers looking not as good.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-11-2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Keenan is great as a possession guy. But he was out 1/2 of the season. And he’s not a threat to take it to the house at any time. That’s what we need. I don’t care if it’s WR, RB or whatever. We need someone capable of “explosive” plays. I also don’t care where they find that guy.
                        The "[Insert player's name] injury" argument isn't very compelling. Players (younger or older) get hurt. As BoltJolt pointed out, Travis Entienne missed his rookie season due to injury.
                        George Pickens (Pick 52) out-produced most WR's taken in front of him (Treylon Burkes, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, Tyquan Thornton). He also out-produced guys taken right after him (Alec Pierce and Skyy Moore). The knock on Pickens was that he was injury prone. He played a full season; while most of those other guys spent time on the injury report. Planning your roster based on who you believe might be injury-prone is not a good strategy.

I remember when DeVonte Smith was predicted to be "broken in half" by game 2.... and Kadarius Toney was going to be the next Tyreek Hill....

Truth is... no one has "taken it to the house" more than Ekeler the last 2 years.
                        In 2021, no one had more 40+ yard receptions than Mike Williams.

If you don't "care where they find that guy"... go to espn.com and pull up the Chargers depth chart.
                        They're already here. TT said these very things.
                        If you want speed and field stretching WR's... there are some in the 4th-7th rounds.
                        If you want RB's to spell Ekeler... give Kelley/Spiller the opportunities.
                        If you want your RB to have Ekeler traits... you can find them post-4th round in the draft.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The "[Insert player's name] injury" argument isn't very compelling. Players (younger or older) get hurt. As BoltJolt pointed out, Travis Entienne missed his rookie season due to injury.
                          George Pickens (Pick 52) out-produced most WR's taken in front of him (Treylon Burkes, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, Tyquan Thornton). He also out-produced guys taken right after him (Alec Pierce and Skyy Moore). The knock on Pickens was that he was injury prone. He played a full season; while most of those other guys spent time on the injury report. Planning your roster based on who you believe might be injury-prone is not a good strategy.

I remember when DeVonte Smith was predicted to be "broken in half" by game 2.... and Kadarius Toney was going to be the next Tyreek Hill....

Truth is... no one has "taken it to the house" more than Ekeler the last 2 years.
                          In 2021, no one had more 40+ yard receptions than Mike Williams.

If you don't "care where they find that guy"... go to espn.com and pull up the Chargers depth chart.
                          They're already here. TT said these very things.
                          If you want speed and field stretching WR's... there are some in the 4th-7th rounds.
                          If you want RB's to spell Ekeler... give Kelley/Spiller the opportunities.
                          If you want your RB to have Ekeler traits... you can find them post-4th round in the draft.
                          Fantastic post!

Comment

Working...
                          X