2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The "[Insert player's name] injury" argument isn't very compelling. Players (younger or older) get hurt. As BoltJolt pointed out, Travis Entienne missed his rookie season due to injury.
    George Pickens (Pick 52) out-produced most WR's taken in front of him (Treylon Burkes, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, Tyquan Thornton). He also out-produced guys taken right after him (Alec Pierce and Skyy Moore). The knock on Pickens was that he was injury prone. He played a full season; while most of those other guys spent time on the injury report. Planning your roster based on who you believe might be injury-prone is not a good strategy.

I remember when DeVonte Smith was predicted to be "broken in half" by game 2.... and Kadarius Toney was going to be the next Tyreek Hill....

Truth is... no one has "taken it to the house" more than Ekeler the last 2 years.
    In 2021, no one had more 40+ yard receptions than Mike Williams.

If you don't "care where they find that guy"... go to espn.com and pull up the Chargers depth chart.
    They're already here. TT said these very things.
    If you want speed and field stretching WR's... there are some in the 4th-7th rounds.
    If you want RB's to spell Ekeler... give Kelley/Spiller the opportunities.
    If you want your RB to have Ekeler traits... you can find them post-4th round in the draft.
    True, injuries are unpredictable but they seem to occur more often with age.

ek is a great td maker but most of these are shorter yardage plays. I’m not gonna check the MW stat but that was 2021 and we had a couple of other speedsters on the roster opening things up. He’s another guy that you have to hold your breath with. We’ll see what they do. I want skill guys early. You want trance (as always). Those guys are just as easily found in middle to late rounds as well.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

True, injuries are unpredictable but they seem to occur more often with age.

ek is a great td maker but most of these are shorter yardage plays. I’m not gonna check the MW stat but that was 2021 and we had a couple of other speedsters on the roster opening things up. He’s another guy that you have to hold your breath with. We’ll see what they do. I want skill guys early. You want trance (as always). Those guys are just as easily found in middle to late rounds as well.
      I would venture to say that you find more quality RB's and WR's in the mid/late rounds than you find quality OT's.
      The best you can find (in the last few years) are Abraham Lucas and Orlando Brown Jr. (both 3rd round picks).
      But those two OT's both had Late-1st round grades per me.
      Sam Cosmi (another late-1st round grade per me) was drafted in the mid-2nd round.
      After those 3 guys... the success rate is pretty poor.

Ekeler (UDFA), Pacheco (7th round), Elijah Mitchell (6th round), and Tyler Allgeier (5th round) are late round RB's (off the top of my head) are quality RB's taken later.

Quality WR's (IIRC) are usuually 1-3 round picks. But there are plenty of earlier round WR's that never pan out (compared to early round OT's).
      Now, if we're talking about IOL... I agree, you can find them mid/late rounds. I think Linsley was mid/late.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

I would venture to say that you find more quality RB's and WR's in the mid/late rounds than you find quality OT's.
        The best you can find (in the last few years) are Abraham Lucas and Orlando Brown Jr. (both 3rd round picks).
        But those two OT's both had Late-1st round grades per me.
        Sam Cosmi (another late-1st round grade per me) was drafted in the mid-2nd round.
        After those 3 guys... the success rate is pretty poor.

Ekeler (UDFA), Pacheco (7th round), Elijah Mitchell (6th round), and Tyler Allgeier (5th round) are late round RB's (off the top of my head) are quality RB's taken later.

Quality WR's (IIRC) are usuually 1-3 round picks. But there are plenty of earlier round WR's that never pan out (compared to early round OT's).
        Now, if we're talking about IOL... I agree, you can find them mid/late rounds. I think Linsley was mid/late.
        You may but TT doesn’t. Rountree, Kelley, spiller and that just the last few drafts. He can’t seem to identify or draft these guys.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You may but TT doesn’t. Rountree, Kelley, spiller and that just the last few drafts. He can’t seem to identify or draft these guys.
          IMO, the pages aren't written for Kelley/Spiller, yet. They just haven't had their chances.
          The year we drafted Roundtree, I wanted Elijah Mitchell... dang!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And while the Chargers are wearing down defenses, they are 2 touchdowns behind.
            It gets back to the statement, that was roundly chastized here, about moving away from being a pass first team when drafting Bijan.

Do we have the defense to play ball control low scoring football games?
            And with Herbert, is this a wise course?
            ???

A player like Bijan does more than what you’re saying. I agree with Ekeler, bring in the next stud RB!

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I was looking forward to seeing more of Kelley this year. He looked like he dedicated to the off-season. He looked stronger and more explosive. Then injury hit. He never really got his chance once he got back healthy. I'm hoping Spiller has the same transformation this off-season. Both will have to commit to being better pass-blockers. It looked Kelley (in very few reps) had improved in this area. Any/all rookie RB's have to work on this aspect of the game. You can't get your QB killed.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Drafting Bijan means we aren't scoring as many points and we will run when behind?
                Where do you get that crazy idea?
                Go back and look at Mike McCarthy's criticism of Moore.

I got it from him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

???

A player like Bijan does more than what you’re saying. I agree with Ekeler, bring in the next stud RB!
                  Do you want him picking up blitzes coming at Herbert his first year here?

He can do more and less at the same time.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

IMO, the pages aren't written for Kelley/Spiller, yet. They just haven't had their chances.
                    The year we drafted Roundtree, I wanted Elijah Mitchell... dang!
                    Like I said, u may but TT doesn’t. Could have had Elijah Mitchell like you say or Pacheco last year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Go back and look at Mike McCarthy's criticism of Moore.

I got it from him.
                      Who cares what McCarthy said. And what he said was Moore likes to light up the scoreboard and he wants to run the ball more. They just have different philosophies and McCarthy likely wants to call his own plays since he is on the hot seat.

Hardly means we will score less points.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Who cares what McCarthy said. And what he said was Moore likes to light up the scoreboard and he wants to run the ball more. They just have different philosophies and McCarthy likely wants to call his own plays since he is on the hot seat.

Hardly means we will score less points.
                        Exactly, who cares what McCrathy says. His comments were totally inappropriate in the coaching fraternity.

McCarthy didnt want to lose a power struggle and watch Moore's stock rise too much with Jerry Jones. He wants control of his fate this year, even though his last 3 years as a play caller in GB were lacking.

Moore was scooped up witjin 24 hours for another OC job. Do you think if McCarthy was the one to leave he would be scooped up in 24 hours?

I think we scored getting Kellen Moore.

Comment

• Katdnzr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

And while the Chargers are wearing down defenses, they are 2 touchdowns behind.
                          It gets back to the statement, that was roundly chastized here, about moving away from being a pass first team when drafting Bijan.

Do we have the defense to play ball control low scoring football games?
                          And with Herbert, is this a wise course?
                          I have to agree with PowderBlueBoy, it was the defense I was screaming at last year. Couldn't stop the run or 3rd down conversions. Yet everyone wants to draft offense. Give me a thumping linebacker in there somewhere!

Comment

Working...
                          X