2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    I believe there is very little market for Ekeler as someone has to give you a decent draft pick and then sign him to a deal that he feels should be in the 10 million range??? I just don't see anyone doing that. He will play out his option year, hopefully ball out and then he can sign elsewhere and give us a 3rd round comp. Base case scenario IMHO.
    Doubt he will play (if he plays and not hold in) the same as before since injury will derail his chances of getting a fat contract from another team next year.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      Day 2 Big Board-Heavily Edited

Left off players I don't think fit, or are luxuries, like most oline, QBs, WRs...of course, as far as fits, I didn't see QJ, so.... grain of salt, and all that...

Brian Branch DB
      Michael Mayer TE
      Drew Sanders Edge/LB
      Darnell Washington TE
      Keion White Edge
      Ade Adebawore Edge/5tech
      Keanu Benton DT
      Zach Chargonnet RB
      Isaiah Foskey Edge
      Clark Phillips III Slot CB
      Joey Porter Jr. CB
      Derrick Hall Edge
      Tuli Tuipulotu Edge
      BJ Ojulari Edge
      Sydney Brown Slot CB/Safety
      Siaka Ika NT
      Steve Avila IOL
      Tyjae Spears RB
      John Michael Schmitz IOL
      Sam La Porta TE
      Luke Musgrave TE

I missed the boat on QJ...throughout the process, I just couldn't fall in love with him...the drops drove me crazy...sometimes he seemed to disappear...but I am warming up to the pick. Had there been a run on WRs before we picked, I would have felt it was a desperation pick, but with a lot of good receivers available, and good players at other positions, including Edge and DB...the fact that we took him over all those guys tells me he was the guy we really wanted, and that is a plus.

I hesitated to even put Musgrave on this list...but I dismissed QJ...shows what I know...so I'm going to embrace humility, and assume I am way harder on him than I should be.

Can't believe Branch, Porter Jr., and Keion White are still on the board.

Heavy odds it's gonna be Edge in the second, unless there is a hell of a run.

Yesterday Kincaid was my guy...today...it's Mayer and Washington I'll be pining for...Branch will never make it to us....and I really like Ade Adebawore and Zach Chargonnet...and yea, Nutty...Clark Phillips III in the second would be a very nice steal.
      Round 2 looks like it could be epic with who is left on the board! I'm liking the QJ pick our WR corp is now deep and solid! I think once our draft is complete with all the other players we pick the QJ pick will look good that is if TT picks the right players!

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I like the Tee Higgins comp - so thanks for that

Dane Brugler said he is a good after the catch - so thats positive

I guess he needs to learn to catch the ball better
        Outside of Ekeler and maybe Everett, we have no YAC receivers on this team. QJ will definitely help in that regards.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Outside of Ekeler and maybe Everett, we have no YAC receivers on this team. QJ will definitely help in that regards.
          I will still be good if Telesco doubles down and gets a burner, straight line speed type on Day 3. More raw and room to learn - but another speed guy would be nice.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Clusters
            R2:
            Benton
            Charbonet
            Foskey
            Ringo
            Ojulari

and others …

R3:
            Young
            Henley/Sanders
            LaPorta
            Ika
            Spears

and others …
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I will still be good if Telesco doubles down and gets a burner, straight line speed type on Day 3. More raw and room to learn - but another speed guy would be nice.
              We still need a punt and kick returner after Carter left, so yes for Day 3.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

i doubt the Chargers will get a tight end today .... with the Johnston pick, they will not be running a lot of two tight end sets.
                They are fine with Everett.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

what if Hyatt is still available in the 2nd?

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Doubt he will play (if he plays and not hold in) the same as before since injury will derail his chances of getting a fat contract from another team next year.
                    By not playing, he only hurts himself. RBs are a dime a dozen. This guy has massively over estimated himself.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      i doubt the Chargers will get a tight end today .... with the Johnston pick, they will not be running a lot of two tight end sets.
                      I think you’re right. Not R2, small chance R3 but I also doubt it. I think at least one of the picks is Defense, R2 and maybe both or they grab one of the better remaining RB in R3. DT, Edge, CB?

Speed burner/returner is Day3 also.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

If I were drafting, an RB and a TE would be the next two picks, not necessarily in that order, it depends on the player who is available. The only reason I wouldn't draft these two positions in day two is if there's been a run on these players and the quality isn't there at 54 & 85. But I think Telesco will probably draft defense in round 2, because he likes to be balanced, even if it always doesn't make sense.

I believe the Chargers will draft another WR in day three, a speedster, there are a number of prospects that fill that bill who will be available later in the draft.

I'm excited about the QJ pick. I feel the Bolts are fortunate he fell so far to them. One draft board I follow rated him as the best WR of the 2023 class and the 9th best player in the draft. This kid has to be feeling so fortunate this morning. He's coming to a team with two veteran Pro Bowl WRs who can show him how to be a pro in the NFL, and he's got Justin Freakin' Herbert as his QB.

This WR group has a chance to be very special this season. The offense has a chance to be very special.

Keenan Allen
                        Mike Williams
                        Quentin Johnston
                        Joshua Palmer
                        Jalen Guyton

I hope they plan to carry six on the roster this season and get a burner late in the draft.

If the Chargers aren't able to secure a bona fide power runner in this draft, I wonder if Atlanta would trade the guy they got in the 5th round last year, now that they have Bijan. The kid I'm talking about is Tyler Allgeier; he had 1035 yds rushing as a rookie in 2022 and averaged 4.9 yds per carry. He had 10 carries against the Chargers for 99 yds. He's 5-11, 200. He played college ball at BYU, but is a So Cal kid, from Fontana. He played LB for a season at BYU, so he's got that mentality. I wonder if the Falcons would trade him for a 2024 pick.

Comment

• SK21209
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2020
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          I’m not so sure because I think we’re going to be rotating our WRs a lot. QJ is an outside guy but Palmer can play in the slot or on the outside, so I think we use QJ and Palmer to give Keenan (and to a lesser extent MW) some snaps off to help them get through the season.

I think it’s much more likely they go EDGE in Round 2, but if Mayer or Musgrave or Washington are still there at 54 I think you almost have to do it. Especially considering at least one of Keenan or MW will not be on the team in 2024.

Comment

Working...
                          X