2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Are you going to pull the trigger on a TE in 1st Round when the greater need is at iDT? That is my only question, brother.
    I know you asked this to Fleet but just wanna add,.......Depends on who. You don't just draft a iDL because it is the biggest need. And is it really? Will that player start over SJD and Austin Johnson? I can't say they will but we don't know where we pick yet either and who will be there. We need better depth rotation for sure.

I see a bad pass rush and need a rotational edge rusher badly imo. Van Noy hasnt been very good. Rumph still needs to get stronger.

All those positions depends on who is on the board. LB imo has to be up there as well.

I think we can go BPA at this point. We need playmakers.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-28-2022, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I know you asked this to Fleet but just wanna add,.......Depends on who. You don't just draft a iDL because it is the biggest need. And is it really? Will that player start over SJD and Austin Johnson? I can't say they will but we don't know where we pick yet either and who will be there. We need better depth rotation for sure.

Imsee a bad pass rusher and need a rotational edge rusher badly imo. Van Noy hasnt been very good. Rumph still needs to get stronger.

All those positions depends on who is on the board. LB imo has to be up there as well.

I'm think we can go BPA at this point. We need playmakers.
      Outside Michael Mayer and iDT, I'd love to get Georgia LB Nolan Smith for the front seven. Have him replace Murray as LB, as I see Kenneth taking himself out of plays on a regular basis. Kyle Van Noy is/was a complementary player who was never meant to replace Joey Bosa, and now he is, and teams are running at him and destroying him at the P.O.A. Kyle's job is to set the edge as OLB on the weakside, and rush the player. Losing Bosa changed everything.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

We have other draft picks. Im not even certain the problem with our DTs isnt Staley.
        Even though we have two good ones in SJD and AJ. It still leaves more to be desired. We don't have a pass rusher on the interior other than Fox. I don't know if the likes of Fehoko or Gaziano do.

When Staley was hired he favored DBs. A good coach shouldn't be favor any one position. He'll have to change that.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Outside Michael Mayer and iDT, I'd love to get Georgia LB Nolan Smith for the front seven. Have him replace Murray as LB, as I see Kenneth taking himself out of plays on a regular basis. Kyle Van Noy is/was a complementary player who was never meant to replace Joey Bosa, and now he is, and teams are running at him and destroying him at the P.O.A. Kyle's job is to set the edge as OLB on the weakside, and rush the player. Losing Bosa changed everything.
          ^ Yup. K9 needs replacing...reminds me of Cro wimping out on tackling...slacker tacklers...ugh...

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ Yup. K9 needs replacing...reminds me of Cro wimping out on tackling...slacker tacklers...ugh...
            Agree, at first I'd though he just has poor instincts and needs reps, but am now thinking he just chooses which plays he wants to show up for. Not a good sign.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

1st- WR Jalin Hyatt- The speed the O needs
              2nd- TE Dalton Kincaid- Great 1-2 punch with Everett
              3rd- C/G Rick Stromberg- Salyer to RT, Stromberg to LG until Linsley is done.
              4th- HB/TE Jaheim Bell- Weapon all over the field. Jumbo package with him and Horvath for short yardage situations.
              5th- Defense
              6th- Defense
              7th- Defense

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Even though we have two good ones in SJD and AJ. It still leaves more to be desired. We don't have a pass rusher on the interior other than Fox. I don't know if the likes of Fehoko or Gaziano do.

When Staley was hired he favored DBs. A good coach shouldn't be favor any one position. He'll have to change that.
                Yet we invested so much money on the interior. This team has a way of wasting money on free agents and then needing to waste picks on those same positions because the high priced FAs dont pan out or come to the Bolts and start sucking all of a sudden. Cant build a roster like that. Im in the same camp that the Dolphins were in with Tua. Get him some smart coaching and add speed around him. I just want this offense so potent that if our D loaded with talent continues to underperform?....we can still overpower teams.

Most of my takes regarding the draft however are assuming Staley stays as HC. And after he got everything he wanted this offseason and seemingly still put together a weak D i just assume build around Herbs now. I have zero faith that Staley with stud draft picks and free agents can get it to work for us on D. So just make sure Herbs has everything he needs. Im gonna be looking at offense this offseason. Weapons for Herbs.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Yet we invested so much money on the interior. This team has a way of wasting money on free agents and then needing to waste picks on those same positions because the high priced FAs dont pan out or come to the Bolts and start sucking all of a sudden. Cant build a roster like that. Im in the same camp that the Dolphins were in with Tua. Get him some smart coaching and add speed around him. I just want this offense so potent that if our D loaded with talent continues to underperform?....we can still overpower teams.

Most of my takes regarding the draft however are assuming Staley stays as HC. And after he got everything he wanted this offseason and seemingly still put together a weak D i just assume build around Herbs now. I have zero faith that Staley with stud draft picks and free agents can get it to work for us on D. So just make sure Herbs has everything he needs. Im gonna be looking at offense this offseason. Weapons for Herbs.
                  Build around your best player(s). A great TE is our top need. I like drafting at the intersection of BPA & need but if a clearly best player is there at a position that is not bulging with similar talent, take him.
                  Scoring early & often is one way of improving run D.
                  How can we support DJ? Edge, DL, LB come to mind. The pass rush is not consistent. Tackling needs to improve. D Talent.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Build around your best player(s). A great TE is our top need. I like drafting at the intersection of BPA & need but if a clearly best player is there at a position that is not bulging with similar talent, take him.
                    Scoring early & often is one way of improving run D.
                    How can we support DJ? Edge, DL, LB come to mind. The pass rush is not consistent. Tackling needs to improve. D Talent.
                    I really like Mayer, and would consider him in the first...but by god, if I dont like the hell out of Dalton Kincaid also...

I love the physicality of Mayer, the strong hands, contested catches...but watching Kincaid glide thru the secondary, both before and after the catch...he reminds me of Kelce.

I admit, my observations are based off youtube highlight reels, but just a glimpse at this point is enough for me to covet either one of these players. Kincaid would be available a bit later, but I suspect by the time the process is complete, he will be top 50 or 60...
                    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Get us more guys like #3. I don't care what position they play if they can do it as well as DJ. He was great Sunday
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Agree, at first I'd though he just has poor instincts and needs reps, but am now thinking he just chooses which plays he wants to show up for. Not a good sign.
                        Yep...it's like K9 says to himself: "Big, tough 225-lb running back might hurt me...very dangerous...Van Noy, you go first..."

snakes very dangerous you go first.jpg

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

USC v. Notre Dame
                          Michael Mayer - 8 catches for 98 yds and 2TDs

Comment

Working...
                          X