Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

So what about Ed Oliver ?
    He is half Dexta's size.
    What about these long armed dudes, Nutty ?
    Omenihu or Wren ?

It is not time for the final mock YET.

Think it over...
    Ed Oliver was considered a top-10 prospect last year but decided to go back to school. Do you think he'll make it to #28?
    Oliver and Omenihu (@DT) probably become liabilities in the run game. Wren was on my radar 5 months ago (when pundits had him as a 6th round prospect). I had him as a 4th rounder. He's still a late 3rd, early 4th rounder IMO... even after his Senior Bowl practices and combine. His SB practice hype was predicated on his 1-on-1 reps. But a player competes 11-on-11 on Sundays... where lanes become muddled. I see some nice 3-techs in later rounds... Keke, Collier, Gaifan, Ledbetter, Watts, Kafusi, Lewis...

Besides, I'd rather draft a later round EDGE for depth behind MI. Bring him in to rush the passer in passing situations and drop Bosa/Rochelle into the 3-tech.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Ed Oliver was considered a top-10 prospect last year but decided to go back to school. Do you think he'll make it to #28?
      Oliver and Omenihu (@DT) probably become liabilities in the run game. Wren was on my radar 5 months ago (when pundits had him as a 6th round prospect). I had him as a 4th rounder. He's still a late 3rd, early 4th rounder IMO... even after his Senior Bowl practices and combine. His SB practice hype was predicated on his 1-on-1 reps. But a player competes 11-on-11 on Sundays... where lanes become muddled. I see some nice 3-techs in later rounds... Keke, Collier, Gaifan, Ledbetter, Watts, Kafusi, Lewis...

Besides, I'd rather draft a later round EDGE for depth behind MI. Bring him in to rush the passer in passing situations and drop Bosa/Rochelle into the 3-tech.
      Opponents will pass when Dexta's in the game. I want penetration.

Of course Oliver could only be acquired through a trade up. But I think Dexta's gone @ #28 too.

I want a 3TECH fo sho...but will think some more.

--Simmons.
      --Christian.
      The usual suspects.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Of course Oliver could only be acquired through a trade up. But I think Dexta's gone @ #28 too.

--Simmons.
        --Christian.
        The usual suspects.
        There are teams who don't need a DT, teams who need one that can play right away, and teams who have bigger needs...Simmons may well make it to 60. If so, would he be worth the wait? Cuz I figure he is mostly a wash for 2019 season.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

There are teams who don't need a DT, teams who need one that can play right away, and teams who have bigger needs...Simmons may well make it to 60. If so, would he be worth the wait? Cuz I figure he is mostly a wash for 2019 season.
          I am thinking @ #28 Sir.

And a 6 to 9 month recovery for the ultra athletic Simmons would have him back around Thanksgiving.

This would be in time for a deep playoff run.

Would John Spanos sign off re the red flag ?

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

--Simmons.
            --Christian.
            The usual suspects.
            Dexter did have 6.5 sacks his freshman year... prior to drawing double teams consistently during So/Junior years. But if you don't think he can push the pocket, put Bosa @ 3-tech and slide Nwosu to DE during pass situations. Hell, why not be creative... rush Dexter up the 1-gap (ocuupy 2 OL) while you blitz a MIKE. Stunt him with Bosa/Ingram... Clemson used to do it all the time with Ferrell/Wilkins...

Is everyone really OK with 35 year old Brandon Mebane taking on double teams. Is this the best we can do...? Dexter ain't your grandaddy's 1-tech... he's more versatile than anyone's giving him credit for. Does everyone really want Lawrence pushing Feeney back into PR's lap as a Patriot...?

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Dexter did have 6.5 sacks his freshman year... prior to drawing double teams consistently during So/Junior years. But if you don't think he can push the pocket, put Bosa @ 3-tech and slide Nwosu to DE during pass situations. Hell, why not be creative... rush Dexter up the 1-gap (ocuupy 2 OL) while you blitz a MIKE. Stunt him with Bosa/Ingram... Clemson used to do it all the time with Ferrell/Wilkins...

Is everyone really OK with 35 year old Brandon Mebane taking on double teams. Is this the best we can do...? Dexter ain't your grandaddy's 1-tech... he's more versatile than anyone's giving him credit for. Does everyone really want Lawrence pushing Feeney back into PR's lap as a Patriot...?
              Ouch...not a pleasant thought, dat...

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Not true. Anytime you must commit to double teams along the OL, that OC/OG/OT can't get to the 2nd level to their LB assignment. In Gus' D, it is imperative for the 3-tech to protect your WILL in the run game. Watch how Lawrence protected Kendall Joeseph on any Clemson game tape. Gus went big along his DL when he was at Seattle (Mebane, Branch, Bryant). Protecting LeRoy Hill (225 lb), David Hawthorn (230 lb), Bobby Wagner (240), and Malcolm Smith (225 lb) was a big priority for Gus.

In fact, the Chargers valued (over-valued) Corey Luiget's prowess as a run stopper @ 3-tech. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mebane play a lot of 3-tech this year (he did in Seattle under Gus). You want a good pass-rushing 3-tech...? You like them to be around 280 lbs...? Use Bosa. But what ever you do, don't use a 285 lb rookie to try and protect your WILL's: White (220), Brown (220), Phillips (210), Davis (235). You're just asking for injury.
                agree +1000000000

Ingram Jones Lawrence Bosa

This front four would free up James White Nwosu flying all over the field and showcase GusD hybrid LB/Safeties changing the game imo. Chargers could easily run 6-7DB with this and still hold up well against the run.

Patriots gashed us with the run, Lawrence puts an end to that.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

I am thinking @ #28 Sir.

And a 6 to 9 month recovery for the ultra athletic Simmons would have him back around Thanksgiving.

This would be in time for a deep playoff run.

Would John Spanos sign off re the red flag ?
                  I don't think Simmons will be on the board at 28, maybe not at all, for the Bolts unless he aced interviews & background.
                  Jeff is uber athletic and reportedly is less than 12% body fat at 300#+. He would add another elite element to our D/ Front 4.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

agree +1000000000

Ingram Jones Lawrence Bosa

This front four would free up James White Nwosu flying all over the field and showcase GusD hybrid LB/Safeties changing the game imo. Chargers could easily run 6-7DB with this and still hold up well against the run.

Patriots gashed us with the run, Lawrence puts an end to that.
                    Exactly, we have all of these small, fast, "playmakers" at LB. Problem is they get mauled in the run game.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Our LBers are fast but I wouldn't call them small.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

--Simmons.
                        --Christian.
                        The usual suspects.
                        just for the record and per PFF.... "Dexta" had more QB pressures and on fewer snaps than (your) all world Mr. Oliver.... (just sayin'
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

outside of Quinnen 'n Christian the three best combo run/pass rush defenders on the IDL are Dex, Khalen and Gaines.

Greg Gaines' pressure percentage when pass rushing is the same as Tillery's and better than both Dre'Mont and Ed.

as advertised/mentioned ad infinitum, both Tillery and Dre'Mont have terrible run stop percentages, and w/Renell Wren not far behind the both of 'em (no thank you x3)

would also add that in terms of run stop percentage, Trysten Hill is right there w/Mr. Ed (who ain't half bad against the run btw)

when it comes to "pass rush productivity score" per PFF, Dex again handily outscores the both of the kings of pressures.... Tillery and Dre'Mont.

simply put.... Dexter Lawrence is more likely to put pressure on the QB than (your) more highly touted IDL "penetrators/disruptors."

will also add that Greg Gaines has a higher score than the all of Trysten Hill, Simmons, Saunders, Oliver, Willis and Omenihu.

the only IDL that outscore Dex are Rashan Gary, Wilkins and Quinnen.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/pressure-percentages-for-the-2019-draft-class

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X