• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not much draft capital spent here: Jones - 3rd, Carrethers - 5th, Philon - 6th: all this in 5 years. He had lots of opportunities, but almost never pulled the trigger.
    Philon btw played end at Arkansas: he was a 3 tech or 5 tech when drafted. Telesco said that the Charger scouts would have rebeled if he didn't select Philon.
    Carrethers was probably the only clear 1 tech tackle taken.

Who were the studs at tackle for the Chargers during this time? Why would anything different happen this year?

I'd guess an offensive tackle or the safety from Delaware.
    Gus Bradley's ideas about how to play defense have evolved since the days of Red Bryant.

The league. the rules. the schemes, everything has changed.

I would seriously consider a Taven Bryan comparable prospect, such as Dre'Mont Jones.

We must have more on the inside.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those draft charts aren't the Bible. I'm sure a 3rd would do it being near the bottom of the first round. There are more than one draft chart out there and teams have their own.

That linked draft chart is the old Jimmy Johnson chart from years ago.
      Okay, in that case, I would give up a 4th, maybe a 3rd rounder to move up for Wilkins...a lot of draftniks are calling Wilkins a top-15 talent...

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Jason Verrett has started 5 games for us in the last 3 years. I hope TT is worried about that happening again. He didn't re-sign JV... I hope lesson has been learned. Simmons won't start a single game in his rookie season (knee re-hab). I don't see the Chargers sacrificing one more of PR's years as the window grows smaller with each year. Someone told me, "We're All In!"

No doubt, the talent around Branch was very good. But bringing him in changed the whole way the Seahawks approached defense. They went from light front four to heavy front four. Their D-line's job was to keep OL off their LB's and secondary. Look at the younger guys they started binging in during the 2009-2011 seasons: KJ Wright (4th round), Richard Sherman (5th), Browner (UDFA), Chancellor (5th)... the only high draft picks were used on Earl Thomas (1st) and Bobby Wagner (2nd).

We already have "gamechangers" (Bosa, Perryman, James). It's time to start protecting those guys. Keep the big uglies off of them, set them free to do what they do best. We don't have that right now along our DL. Re-sign Philon (8.5 sacks last 2 seasons) and get a long-term solution at 1-tech. The first-round projected 3-techs will not keep our LB's and safeties clean. I suppose that a 3-tech could be drafted in the 1st and you could hope that a very limited number of true 1-techs would be available in later rounds (Saunders, Mack). But I'm willing to bet that both of those guys get over-drafted and are not available in the late 3rd (where they belong). Besides, there will be better players available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. That's where you start picking up other starters and quality backups (RT, LB, FS, Edge).
        What I mean is Verrett was injured often in college. Simmons didn't get hurt in a game, he got hurt working out for the combine. One if those fluke iniuries. I wouldn't call him injury prone.

I wasn't for drafting Simmons in round 1 for us because he won't play but ..... Depends on who is on the board. Still think we can get a starting FS,OT or maybe a DT not named Lawrence. Just saying I wouldn't be mad if he drafted Simmons there now, but prefer he didn't.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, in that case, I would give up a 4th, maybe a 3rd rounder to move up for Wilkins...a lot of draftniks are calling Wilkins a top-15 talent...
          Lol, I'm saying a 3rd is probably my what we would need to give up. Not both.

It cost us a 4th both years we traded up in the second round.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not much draft capital spent here: Jones - 3rd, Carrethers - 5th, Philon - 6th: all this in 5 years. He had lots of opportunities, but almost never pulled the trigger.
            Philon btw played end at Arkansas: he was a 3 tech or 5 tech when drafted. Telesco said that the Charger scouts would have rebeled if he didn't select Philon.
            Carrethers was probably the only clear 1 tech tackle taken.

Who were the studs at tackle for the Chargers during this time? Why would anything different happen this year?

I'd guess an offensive tackle or the safety from Delaware.
            Exactly my point. TT hasn't done much at DT. And he has drafted zero "explosive 3-tech types"... a claim made by a previous poster. The DL (especially the middle) has been mostly ignored since J-Wall left. Why would Chargers change course and draft a real run-stopping DT...? Look to the playoff loss to the Patriots. Look to our roster. Look to AFC West teams' rosters. Gus likes his DL to stop the run and generate a pass rush using only 4.

Personally, I'd send 5 every once in a while. I'd bring it up the middle using a MIKE... occasionally stunt an OTTO/SAM. Either way, I want a DT that can occupy 2 OL as my blitzer runs free to the QB... the notion that a big "run stopping" DT can't help out your pass rush is just ridiculous. Gus use to do it all the time in Seattle.
            Last edited by Boltnut; 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

What I mean is Verrett was injured often in college. Simmons didn't get hurt in a game, he got hurt working out for the combine. One if those fluke iniuries. I wouldn't call him injury prone.

I wasn't for drafting Simmons in round 1 for us because he won't play but ..... Depends on who is on the board. Still think we can get a starting FS,OT or maybe a DT not named Lawrence. Just saying I wouldn't be mad if he drafted Simmons there now, but prefer he didn't.
              Injured player is injured player. Lamp was never injured in college either. Doesn't mean I'm less concerned about him coming back.

There is not a single FS that is 1st round worthy in this year's draft. I'm certainly not spending that capital on a kid from Delaware State. Especially when the safeties in the 3rd round may be just as good as the 1st safety taken in the late 1st/early 2nd... After Quinnen Williams and Christian Wilkins, DT's are either specialized (run-stop/pass rush) or have weaknesses. Lawrence gets knocked for inability to provide pass rush (even though he had 10 sacks in 3 years and was often double teamed). Gary and Jones are liabilities against the run (often getting beat even with only one-on-one matchups). As far as OT's go... you have 3 OT's that could handle eventual LT assignments. If one of those is available, no problem. After that, you have a long list of RT-only's. Why draft Fluker 2.0 with the #28 pick, when you can address another need with a better player and get a RT later (2nd-4th)...?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Darius Philon = young, explosive 3Tech w/upside still.
                Lots of possibilities in the draft.
                LB on back burner now.
                Rochell, Bosa, and Ingram also take snaps inside.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Darius Philon = young, explosive 3Tech w/upside still.
                  Lots of possibilities in the draft.
                  LB on back burner now.
                  Rochell, Bosa, and Ingram also take snaps inside.
                  Yes! Philon quietly had 8.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons. My guess is his agent wants to get him a payday in the $6-7 million range. But TT will wait until he comes back to $4 million/year range. Waiting patiently for this... along with Woodmock.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Injured player is injured player. Lamp was never injured in college either. Doesn't mean I'm less concerned about him coming back.

There is not a single FS that is 1st round worthy in this year's draft. I'm certainly not spending that capital on a kid from Delaware State. Especially when the safeties in the 3rd round may be just as good as the 1st safety taken in the late 1st/early 2nd... After Quinnen Williams and Christian Wilkins, DT's are either specialized (run-stop/pass rush) or have weaknesses. Lawrence gets knocked for inability to provide pass rush (even though he had 10 sacks in 3 years and was often double teamed). Gary and Jones are liabilities against the run (often getting beat even with only one-on-one matchups). As far as OT's go... you have 3 OT's that could handle eventual LT assignments. If one of those is available, no problem. After that, you have a long list of RT-only's. Why draft Fluker 2.0 with the #28 pick, when you can address another need with a better player and get a RT later (2nd-4th)...?
                    I guess that depends on who you are talking about. I like Rapp more than Adderly but Rapp wont make it to our second round pick. They are pretty even but Rapp is a little bigger, even though Adderly showed up at the combine at 206,....but didn't run anything. Rapp had great agility times.

In the third? Don't think there is a starter there right away.
                    It's all subjective. You like Lawrence, I don't at 28.

Hopefully someone picks him before us like they did Sheldon and they have about the same careers. Lawrence isn't going to start for us right away either, Mebane will. It's all a matter of opinion and why draft a guy at 28 that won't start for us?

You never know who will fall to us. Hec they may draft Mack Wilson if he is there even though we resigned Perryman. Depends on their board. If they trade up for Wilkins then cool. Get a safety in round 2. That's two holes filled right there. The rest is depth.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Yes! Philon quietly had 8.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons. My guess is his agent wants to get him a payday in the $6-7 million range. But TT will wait until he comes back to $4 million/year range. Waiting patiently for this... along with Woodmock.
                      That sounds right for Philon.
                      I see others posting ideas similar to mine re Wisdom of wu Mock Draft.
                      Using extra fine sandpaper as we speak.
                      Was fit earlier this week for custom flame retardant suit.
                      Picking it up in one hour.

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Often, as in once, which he played through?

If you know about more than his torn labrum in his final season, I'd love to hear them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Often, as in once, which he played through?

If you know about more than his torn labrum in his final season, I'd love to hear them.
                          Yes there is more. Someone a while back, early in his career posted his injuries from college and I think he had a torn patella or something. He had a hand full of others but the labrum and patella were the worst. I don't recall what they all were.

Don't know where they got them from but it was something similar to the injuries Top Cat found on somebody and posted them here.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X