• Show
Clear All
  • FarAwayBoltFan
    San Diego Native
    • Feb 2019
    • Farmington, NM
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    If it's going to be a QB, Herbert isn't a bad choice. He has all the physical tools.
    Most of the Mock Drafts have us taking Herbert at #6 and I get it, Justin seems to have all the physical tools to be an NFL pocket type passer. But is that what Coach Lynn wants? Based on Cardale, Tyrod, and (Swizzle)Stick, Coach seems to favor Tarkenton type QBs. Can Herbert be that guy? I'm not sure but I doubt it. So, if Coach has a say in the matter, I don't think we draft Herbert at #6.

Which is fine by me... I don't think Herbert has what it takes. I watched my 1st Chargers game with Johnny Unitas under center in 1973 and have watched a Metric F*ck Ton of college and pro football over the years. I also pour myself into college scouting info on draftable players. I didn't and don't have the opportunity to compare and contrast film of the 2020 draftable and signable QBs to make personal assessments so I'm no expert. But, I do have an educated super fan's skill set. Using that skill set I look for the "Wow! Factor". Sometimes, I watch a QB and think, Wow! The Wow! Factor has been pretty accurate over the years. So I decided to watch two Ducks games this season to check out Justin. Sadly, no Wow! I wasn't impressed. Personally, I'm hoping the Chargers make a different choice if Herbert is available and we are still drafting at #6. (Note that the only time I went Wow! over a QB this college season was all 3 times I watched Burrows play.)

With no available, draftable Wow! QBs (as I see it) at #6 in this draft I would like us to seek a trade. Hopefully a team falls in love with Herbert and will give us a 2021 1st round pick to move back in round 1 of the 2020 draft. We could forearm (double entendre intended) ourselves with 2021 draft capital in case we find a QB next year with Wow!

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

Most of the Mock Drafts have us taking Herbert at #6 and I get it, Justin seems to have all the physical tools to be an NFL pocket type passer. But is that what Coach Lynn wants? Based on Cardale, Tyrod, and (Swizzle)Stick, Coach seems to favor Tarkenton type QBs. Can Herbert be that guy? I'm not sure but I doubt it. So, if Coach has a say in the matter, I don't think we draft Herbert at #6.

Which is fine by me... I don't think Herbert has what it takes. I watched my 1st Chargers game with Johnny Unitas under center in 1973 and have watched a Metric F*ck Ton of college and pro football over the years. I also pour myself into college scouting info on draftable players. I didn't and don't have the opportunity to compare and contrast film of the 2020 draftable and signable QBs to make personal assessments so I'm no expert. But, I do have an educated super fan's skill set. Using that skill set I look for the "Wow! Factor". Sometimes, I watch a QB and think, Wow! The Wow! Factor has been pretty accurate over the years. So I decided to watch two Ducks games this season to check out Justin. Sadly, no Wow! I wasn't impressed. Personally, I'm hoping the Chargers make a different choice if Herbert is available and we are still drafting at #6. (Note that the only time I went Wow! over a QB this college season was all 3 times I watched Burrows play.)

With no available, draftable Wow! QBs (as I see it) at #6 in this draft I would like us to seek a trade. Hopefully a team falls in love with Herbert and will give us a 2021 1st round pick to move back in round 1 of the 2020 draft. We could forearm (double entendre intended) ourselves with 2021 draft capital in case we find a QB next year with Wow!
      This is pretty much what I think as well. At #6 I don't want a maybe.
      Last edited by JOJAX85; 02-07-2020, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Got some tough news for you guys...they are ALL maybes...but for the sake of argument, if you are wanting to wait for a Burrows type "sure" thing? Good luck with that...you are basically wanting us to suck bad enough to be picking 1 or 2. In the meantime, while we are waiting for that "sure" thing, we are trotting through mediocre vets trying to revive their careers, and doing a mediocre job of it, netting us just enough wins to be picking outside the top ten. You can keep your Harbaughs and Kramers...

Plenty of great QBs have been maybes coming out of college...

I can understand the idea of not spending a 6 on a maybe, instead trading back, or trading back into, or taking a QB at 37....but this whole plan of waiting next year for a sure thing...just goofy.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          Got some tough news for you guys...they are ALL maybes...but for the sake of argument, if you are wanting to wait for a Burrows type "sure" thing? Good luck with that...you are basically wanting us to suck bad enough to be picking 1 or 2. In the meantime, while we are waiting for that "sure" thing, we are trotting through mediocre vets trying to revive their careers, and doing a mediocre job of it, netting us just enough wins to be picking outside the top ten. You can keep your Harbaughs and Kramers...

Plenty of great QBs have been maybes coming out of college...

I can understand the idea of not spending a 6 on a maybe, instead trading back, or trading back into, or taking a QB at 37....but this whole plan of waiting next year for a sure thing...just goofy.
          I don't mean I don't want a maybe QB, because I agree with you on that end. Burrow is the only sure bet QB in this draft in my opinion. What I'm saying is I wouldn't take a maybe QB at #6 when there are other game changing players at different positions that are much less maybes. There are a lot of people who are "OH MY GOD RIVERS IS GONE WE NEED A 1ST ROUND QB RIGHT NOW!". I'm not 1 of those. It's the same mindset that would've had us rather skip over Seau to take Andre Ware. No. Do I think Simmons can be Seau? That's a stretch I know, but I think he can be closer to that than I think Herbert can be Rivers.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I don't mean I don't want a maybe QB, because I agree with you on that end. Burrow is the only sure bet QB in this draft in my opinion. What I'm saying is I wouldn't take a maybe QB at #6 when there are other game changing players at different positions that are much less maybes. There are a lot of people who are "OH MY GOD RIVERS IS GONE WE NEED A 1ST ROUND QB RIGHT NOW!". I'm not 1 of those. It's the same mindset that would've had us rather skip over Seau to take Andre Ware. No. Do I think Simmons can be Seau? That's a stretch I know, but I think he can be closer to that than I think Herbert can be Rivers.
            Yea...shoulda quoted farawayboltfan...more about his last paragraph, and the whole "wow" concept of a QB's draftability...

I would be fine if we think Herbert is worth the 6, but also like some of the other QBs in this draft, and love some of the blue chippers we can nab there, while getting a QB later.
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

On the other hand, ............. we could pass on Herbert or Tua (whoever is available) and draft a position player at 6 that doesn't fill the bill. We've seen many of those type of picks since 1961. Do you remember Ron Beasley or Leon Burns or Ryan Leaf?

Meanwhile we could be watching the guy we passed on turn into a franchise QB. There no sure things in the draft.

Think about the very few QB's like Burroughs that we have seen over the years that were "sure things". Elway, Peyton, and now Burroughs come to mind. Just a couple of years ago the draft yielded 4/5 first round picks and not one of them could be said the be a sure thing ............ but they may all turn into franchise QB's.

Now think of all the QB's that are in the HOF who were not picked #1 - the list is long.

It's folly to think you can wait for a "wow" guy..
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

my recollection is only half of first round picks turn out to be stellar, and that is not confined to just QBs. Robert Gallery anyone? i'm no longer in the set we MUST draft QB, but this notion that if he's not a sure thing we should pass ... that may cause so much pucker we never pick a QB ever. I get many have greater confidence in other possible choices, but its also true none can ever have the impact a good QB will have. QB is the most important position on the NFL field. at least 2x more important than other positions based on compensation - for a reason. there will never be a sure thing, and they don't get surer by waiting to round 2, 3, 4, ...

Seems most predict we will rebound from 5-11 ... hence a later pick next year. hence less sure. If TT thinks Tua is the only other franchise QB and he can't get up to Burrow, maybe he should trade up from 6 because it will only cost more to get up to the top of Rd 1 next year (assume > 5 wins?).

That said, and it would never happen - i'd gladly take a year long bitch slap and tank if they got Lawrence. That kid is IT. jmo, just another superfan that refuses to study film lol
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I’m fine using a second round pick on a maybe. A first - a high first - should be something else entirely.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Perhaps not today, and that isn't a given. By the end of the season - easily.
                    Nope. Just not there.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nope. Just not there.
                      Disagree - but then when have we ever agreed upon QBs blue!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

PONs should be addressed in FA & draft. At what point is another question. I lean toward Talent in early draft picks, you can't get top vets for rookie pay. Age, health, cost v reward, position-depth chart fit for FAs. No question that FAs are an important part of team building.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          I’m fine using a second round pick on a maybe. A first - a high first - should be something else entirely.
                          Me, too. I'm ok with taking Hurts in the 2nd as a maybe. With my #6 I want an instant plug in starter.

Comment

Working...
                          X