• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

I am anxious to see what Tyrod can do actually and a more run focused game. Worked for BUF when they led the league in rushing in 2016.

Take Simmons or Brown or an OT at #6. I don't care if we win games 17-14 vs the disaster they served up last year.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
      I am anxious to see Tyrod actually and a more run focused game. Worked for BUF when they led the league in rushing in 2016.

Take Simmons or Brown or an OT at #6. I don't care if we win games 17-14 vs the disaster they served up last year.
      They finished 7-9 in 2016. Not sure how good that worked.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If Simmons is less BPA in this draft, name anyone who is comparable to him? Any LB that you can think of.
        wasn't in on Weddle, Bosa, Derwin and prolly (many) others, and.... not thinkin' LB.... am all about an OT (Wirfs/AT), and wouldn't be outraged by the likes of Lamb, Brown and even Simmons (just not my preference).

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They finished 7-9 in 2016. Not sure how good that worked.
          They led the league in rushing. That was really Rex Ryan's team though and they had a lousy 19th ranked D that year too.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

It's basically a given that in coming years, we will be pissing & moaning about who we passed on in the 2020 draft. I favor talent over PON for that reason as well as immediate impact. BPA at 6 please.
            Take one of Young, Burrow, Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Kinlaw ( in that order). Tua? The talent fits, injury history does not.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

wasn't in on Weddle, Bosa, Derwin and prolly (many) others, and.... not thinkin' LB.... am all about an OT (Wirfs/AT), and wouldn't be outraged by the likes of Lamb, Brown and even Simmons (just not my preference).
              The point of that is you say that Simmons is not that much better than other LB, if you cannot name another LB who is similar to him, it shows a lack of imagination on your part.

Again Luke Kuechly has always been pointed to by members of this board as the type of coverage LB that we need. And there is no denying he is/was one of the better every down LB in football. However, he is not that strong in pass coverage, because he is a traditional LB in terms of size and speed. He allowed almost 75% of the passes target to his receiver to be caught, for about 9 yards per catch. Adrian Phillips is a only somewhat better than average dime LB/S, but he allowed only 67% of the passes thrown at him to be completed. Traditional LB are a liability in pass coverage. Darius Leonard is the only exception to that, and he is really the only guy who is even close, although he is not as lengthy, or as fast as Simmons.

As I keep pointing out, the traditional run stuffing Mike LB and traditional Will's are a dying breed. The NFL game is changing, and if we play catchup, it means we are behind the curve.

I just don't see the OT in the 1st round being that much better than the guys in the 2nd round. They are better players at this point, but all of them need technical improvements. If it is going to take time struggling through them learning technique regardless of round, I am not sure it is worth taking one in the 1st round.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                It's basically a given that in coming years, we will be pissing & moaning about who we passed on in the 2020 draft. I favor talent over PON for that reason as well as immediate impact. BPA at 6 please.
                Take one of Young, Burrow, Brown, Simmons, Okudah, Kinlaw ( in that order). Tua? The talent fits, injury history does not.
                This, really.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

You need to stop saying he isn't a top shelf run D player. He is an OUTSTANDING run defender. He is NOT a great point of attack player. That is NOT the same thing.

not sure why you keep pulling these things out of thin air and attributing them to me.... 'twas someone else pointing out how some draftniks/pundits find vulnerabilities in his run D.

The point of that is you say that Simmons is not that much better than other LB, if you cannot name another LB who is similar to him, it shows a lack of imagination on your part.

again.... don't think I've ever much compared Simmons to other LBs, other than I like Denzel and like having a solid run defender in the middle of our D, and.... you can twist my words and then decry my posts (as unimaginative.... really ?) if that works for you, as sorry again.... Derwin was supposed to be the answer, and now we've got to heap more talent on that side of the ball ??

you can hee and haw all you want, and.... won't be surprised if the additon of Linval doesn't improve our D more than any superstar LB/DB ??

Again Luke Kuechly has always been pointed to by members of this board as the type of coverage LB that we need. And there is no denying he is/was one of the better every down LB in football. However, he is not that strong in pass coverage, because he is a traditional LB in terms of size and speed. He allowed almost 75% of the passes target to his receiver to be caught, for about 9 yards per catch. Adrian Phillips is a only somewhat better than average dime LB/S, but he allowed only 67% of the passes thrown at him to be completed. Traditional LB are a liability in pass coverage. Darius Leonard is the only exception to that, and he is really the only guy who is even close, although he is not as lengthy, or as fast as Simmons.

As I keep pointing out, the traditional run stuffing Mike LB and traditional Will's are a dying breed. The NFL game is changing, and if we play catchup, it means we are behind the curve.

I just don't see the OT in the 1st round being that much better than the guys in the 2nd round. They are better players at this point, but all of them need technical improvements. If it is going to take time struggling through them learning technique regardless of round, I am not sure it is worth taking one in the 1st round.
                  and again perhaps I am slow on the get go, and.... still like the idea of a "traditional" LB in middle.... like Perryman.

plenty of peoples discount/dismiss his pass coverage, albeit recall looking @his advanced stats and his completion percentage against was better than forum fave Tranquill.

and you could well be right.... Austin Jackson, Wanogho, Isaiah Wilson, Ezra might not be far off from Mekhi, AT, Wirfs and Jedrick, and.... all it takes is to hit on the right or wrong guy, that makes all the difference in the world.... who is your surefire second round tackle ??

and perhaps right again with the world of diff between Simmons and his closest rivals.... Chin, Akeem Davis Gaither, Willie Gay.

again, matter of personal preference.... eye like Wirfs intangibles and his game, and.... not overly taken by Simmons intangibles and parts of his game.

will also add that just as eye suspect that a real/stout NT impacts our D more than a superstar LB/S, will also volunteer that an anchor LT impacts our offensive outcomes much more than a CeeDee Lamb or fill in blank star receiver of choice.

coupla few things 'bout Simmons.... agree, it will be fun to watch him in the same backfield as James, and that he is most unlikely to come anything close to a bust, and apparently he is darn popular, and.... my query, what is gonna change the fortunes of this franchise.... our fourth of late LB/S selection, or finally anchoring down that OL ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

busy lately, but just wanted to provide my most recent mock...

006. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
                    Franchise QB. Biggest need. High risk/reward. Been one of his biggest supporter on TPB for some time now.

037. Laviska Shenault Jr., WR Colorado
                    KA’s replacement due to ability to play outside and in slot. Like with Tua, when people see injury risks, I tend to see tough hardnose players needed in the pros. First round talent drops to us for said injury concerns and lack of production. He will be out number 2 when Mike Williams establishes to be our clear number 1.

071. Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC
                    I wasn’t a fan until recently. Tough physical outside WR (catch a theme?). we need to come away with 2 WRs in this draft, and while conventional wisdom would say to wait until day 3 for your second WR, I am going to give Tua two legit weapons he can grow chemistry with. This can easily be another WR but I figure he would be good value/fit here at 71.

112. Bryce Hall, CB Virginia
                    Been a fan for his toughness, run support and ball hawk mentality. Not the greatest athlete, but looks a lot like Heyward and will replace him at the end of CH’s contract.

151. Alohi Gilman, S Notre Dame
                    Meets our Notre Dame quota. Seriously though, I love this guy’s tackling (run support). Replaces Teamer this year and gives us a potential sub package linebacker. Smart guy who will be asked to do several things close to the line of scrimmage and free up Derwin James more often. Alohi won’t be asked to play deep.

186. Johnathan Garvin, EDGE Miami
                    Becomes our 4th DE this year and is a potential replacement for Ingram if it doesn’t work-out with Uchena. Nice little burst for a guy his size/length/athleticism. Needs coaching, looks lost sometimes but I think he can improve once the game makes more sense to him. Potential starter down the road.

220. Darius Anderson, RB TCU
                    Looking for the best available RB for RBBC approach. I just chose Anderson as an example… and I’m aiming for good mojo selecting an RB from TCU. Good size, shifty, balance on contact for max yards. Ball security is a plus. Jack of all trades type back. Not special, but not a liability, which is what we need to help with the load. Can return kicks too.

happy Easter y'all
                    Last edited by 21&500; 04-12-2020, 05:40 PM.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

This, really.
                      I might include a top OT in that group of Brown Okudah, Simmons etc - but yes - just do your damn homework and get the best damn player. Of course we will never know where Herbert ranks on Telescos board compared to how Veech and Big Andy ranked Mahomes. But if Herbert is ranked like 16 and is the pick, Telesco is giving the field 10 players who he deems as better football players than Herbert. I get a QB makes all the difference. But this notion of taking a QB at 6 because you need one is not smart thinking. Now Reid and Andy struck paydirt with Mahomes.

But look at the Rams - they gave up a crapload to get Goff and than just paid him. So if you miss - its not like Leaf witht he rookie deal but look at Goffs second deal. You have hit the damn jackpot at QB.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Interesting visits....

So I notice some face time with olineman....Thomas, Bechton, Josh Jones....all left tackles...

QB James Morgan? We met with him at the EW Shrine game....and go out of our way to schedule a virtual visit? So...either we are quietly disappointed with 5th round selection Easton Stick...or....we are considering a scenario where we roll with Tyrod this year, don't draft a QB early, and are considering Morgan for QB#3, and to press Stick for QB#2....

Chew on that....:mcnugget:
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                          Interesting visits....

So I notice some face time with olineman....Thomas, Bechton, Josh Jones....all left tackles...

QB James Morgan? We met with him at the EW Shrine game....and go out of our way to schedule a virtual visit? So...either we are quietly disappointed with 5th round selection Easton Stick...or....we are considering a scenario where we roll with Tyrod this year, don't draft a QB early, and are considering Morgan for QB#3, and to press Stick for QB#2....

Chew on that....:mcnugget:
                          Or.....

They really secretly like Jalen Hurts later.

Comment

Working...
                          X