• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    Well of course I want more talent on the D line too.You think Brown would he a better pick than Simmons?
    I think Brown is a safer pick than Simmons. I thought Simmons looked a bit too much like a strong safety for my taste.

I'd really have to watch more, and then there is how Bradley (gulp) would fit either in to his defense, and how they would match up against the Chiefs, etc...

Mahomes likes to step up, like any qb, and Brown would make that more difficult. The Raiders will pound the interior next year again....yeah i'd prefer Brown.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The go with a guy who can evade 300 pound heat seeking missiles, because you are incapable of putting together an Oline idea?
      Plan B.
      Draft Lloyd Cushenberry III.
      Line him up next to Quessenberry.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Plan B.
        And have the Crunchberry beasting the other side. So it has come to this?

Image result for crunchberry beast

If i didn't include the photo, John Spanos would be google searching Crunchberry right now. I saved him sometime for more important duties.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

yeah, go with tua (if he checks out); and what i mean by checks out is a thorough evaluation of his projected health down the road.

Top AFC teams have Brady, Mahomes, Watson & Jackson.
          You don't get a lot of shots to get a franchise type qb: build around your franchise qb.

Would you rather have Russell Wilson or Bobby Wagner? Easy decision.
          If the Chargers take Tua @ #7, then he will have gone higher than every player you mention. i'm not on the train with that injury right now. The kid would have to show me a LOT before I even think about calling his name.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I think our defense is pretty good. There are some players that are getting old and will need to be replaced soon, however. Specifically, Brandon Mebane and Thomas Davis. And while Casey Hayward is 30 (and CB's can play well into their mid-30's), we probably need to look for his replacement (or upgrade the position opposite him).

IMO, all three of these positions are fairly deep draft classes. Here are some players I like in later rounds.

DT:

Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M. I noticed him last season when researching Daylon Mack. He's not as girthy as Mack, but he holds up well in the run game as he uses leverage well and has better lateral abilities than Mack. At 6-3, 305 lbs. he could put on another 10-15 lbs. without losing his quickness. He has 5.5 sacks this season. 5.5 sacks last season. He often subbed in for Mack on passing situations, but he's pretty good at taking on double teams. 5th or 6th round...?

Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma. Gallimore is another penitrating DT that hols up against the run pretty well. Doesn't hold up as well against double teams as Madubuike but shoots gaps well and moves laterally often getting tackles for loss. Had 4 sacks this year. Teams may see him as a 3-tech. At 6-2, 301 he may be a little light as a 1-tech. He's disruptive but his aggressiveness sometimes takes him out of position. It depends how team uses him. 5th round...?

Ross Blacklock, TCU. Blacklock is my favorite of the 3. At 6-4, 305 he could put on another 10-15 lbs. and be a legitimate 1-tech. Has long arms he uses to gain separation and shed IOL. Athletic for this size and can move laterally. Can chase down outside runs. Pushes the pocket well and is good vs the run. Had 3.5 sacks this year and is disruptive. Most mock drafts have him going in 5th or 6th rounds, but I think he goes in 4th to 5th rounds...?

Derrick Brown is the best DT in this draft class. He could be a consideration @ pick 8. Javon Kinlaw is very effective as well but probably not worth the #8. If he were available in the 2nd round (doubtful) I'd take him. But I think quality DT's exist into the 5th round this draft. If you hesitate to take a DT in the 1st round (like I do) and use your 1st on an OL, QB, or CB... there are some mid/late rounders I think will be good.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

If the Chargers take Tua @ #7, then he will have gone higher than every player you mention. i'm not on the train with that injury right now. The kid would have to show me a LOT before I even think about calling his name.
              A lot besides medical clearance?
              combine workout?
              what does Tua have to prove before being in consideration for our first round pick?
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Tua has to prove he won't be an injury bust...and that is impossible to do. Even if he checks out medically, he has shown he has durability issues. The only way for him to prove he isn't an injury bust is to actually play in the league for a number of years....translation? Tua is a high risk, high reward gamble.
                Not my first choice...but before he got injured, he would have been an unheard of steal at #7...so do you gamble? Geesh, you would think we were due a little luck...

I'm not all that into the QB camp this year(questions surrounding Tua and Herbert)...but then again, I don't know what our staff is thinking, and how much faith they have in Rivers. They definitely gotta work the top QBs out, and if they love a guy or two, and one of them is there at #7, AND they are no longer in love with Rivers...they gotta pull the trigger...you don't know when you will be picking this high again, or have a guy they really like fall in their grasp..., and if they do make that move, I would understand and support the move.

I guess we will know more when they do or do not offer Phil a deal...though that may not preclude picking a QB either...

Either way, it is going to be an interesting off season...and possibly a volatile one for the CMB...I would guess the Rivers debates are gonna get pretty heated...Fleet might want to deputize a few more moderators!!
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  I think our defense is pretty good. There are some players that are getting old and will need to be replaced soon, however. Specifically, Brandon Mebane and Thomas Davis. And while Casey Hayward is 30 (and CB's can play well into their mid-30's), we probably need to look for his replacement (or upgrade the position opposite him).

IMO, all three of these positions are fairly deep draft classes. Here are some players I like in later rounds.

DT:

Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M. I noticed him last season when researching Daylon Mack. He's not as girthy as Mack, but he holds up well in the run game as he uses leverage well and has better lateral abilities than Mack. At 6-3, 305 lbs. he could put on another 10-15 lbs. without losing his quickness. He has 5.5 sacks this season. 5.5 sacks last season. He often subbed in for Mack on passing situations, but he's pretty good at taking on double teams. 5th or 6th round...?

Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma. Gallimore is another penitrating DT that hols up against the run pretty well. Doesn't hold up as well against double teams as Madubuike but shoots gaps well and moves laterally often getting tackles for loss. Had 4 sacks this year. Teams may see him as a 3-tech. At 6-2, 301 he may be a little light as a 1-tech. He's disruptive but his aggressiveness sometimes takes him out of position. It depends how team uses him. 5th round...?

Ross Blacklock, TCU. Blacklock is my favorite of the 3. At 6-4, 305 he could put on another 10-15 lbs. and be a legitimate 1-tech. Has long arms he uses to gain separation and shed IOL. Athletic for this size and can move laterally. Can chase down outside runs. Pushes the pocket well and is good vs the run. Had 3.5 sacks this year and is disruptive. Most mock drafts have him going in 5th or 6th rounds, but I think he goes in 4th to 5th rounds...?

Derrick Brown is the best DT in this draft class. He could be a consideration @ pick 8. Javon Kinlaw is very effective as well but probably not worth the #8. If he were available in the 2nd round (doubtful) I'd take him. But I think quality DT's exist into the 5th round this draft. If you hesitate to take a DT in the 1st round (like I do) and use your 1st on an OL, QB, or CB... there are some mid/late rounders I think will be good.
                  Solid, thanks for the info. And agree, our D is pretty dang good, only one game this year we gave up more than 30 even with all the O turnovers, and yes, that game was all about excessive turnovers. Fix the O, the D will look a lot better.

So change my vote, go OL if there’s room on that bandwagon (but still trade back up for Hurts).

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Rivers or not I would take the top ranked OT, Tua is too much of a risk at #7 with the injury history, and I don't think Herbert isn't warranted of being the #7 pick of the draft and Oregon's QB's don't translate well into the NFL, coming from a lot of spread quick reads in college from Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemmens. Dennis Dixon, Marcus Mariotta.

The 2nd round we would be drafting early maybe Jalen Hurts falls and he is your QB with the 39th pick overall, from there 3rd round CB or WR. We need to be aggressive in Free Agency

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

DT:

Good post Nutty.
                      Agree with you here !
                      And thanks for the detailed breakdown.
                      We still need an alpha dog, a third DT in rotation.
                      Hopefully Justin Jones and even Tillery can come on.
                      I like Madabuike...great '19 season...nearly unblockable.
                      Any thoughts on Marvin Wilson ?

BTW speaking of LBs, take your bow on Fred Warner. I thought he was lacking in sand in his ass...solid for 49ers at MIKE.

Now, Oline...steel sharpens steel, baby.
                      We will clash cuz, cuz dats what we do.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Plan B.
                        Wood, do u think C-Berry might be available in round 4-5 or so?

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I think my point is that other than a good medical report, there’s nothing left for Tua to prove
                          his body of work speaks for itself (what it says to you individually is up for debate) but the combine isn’t going to show you much more than a guy rehabbing working out.
                          It’s all on the medical now to help us decide what we’re willing to gamble on. I just hope TT has the balls to roll the dice.
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X