• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The only QBs I want are Burrow and Jordan Love.

Herbert's likely going to be an acquired taste for some come draft time. You have to bet on his high end that saw him have five games with passing grades over 80.0 this past season instead of his low end that earned game grades below 60.0.

You know who else had fluctuating passing grades at the collegiate level? Mitch Trubisky

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2...he-second-pick

Herbert's likely going to be an acquired taste for some come draft time. You have to bet on his high end that saw him have five games with passing grades over 80.0 this past season instead of his low end that earned game grades below 60.0.

You know who else had fluctuating passing grades at the collegiate level? Mitch Trubisky
      Agree about Herbert but just don't see the draw to Jordon Love. Unless you are talking the 4th-5th round. Don't see him worth more than that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Doesn't Love have a bad interception rate?

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
          https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2...he-second-pick

Yet Herbert’s stats, passer rating, TD2INT ratio, completion %, win % all exceed Elway’s college success.

If a QB has all the physical tools, work ethic, natural leadership character, and workable mechanics; it all comes down to a “champion’s will” and what’s between the ears (information processing ability, risk vs. reward decision making, pain & emotional compartmentalization ability, and having a zen mental state amongst major chaos). It is the true deciding factor in QB success at the highest levels. Since I have no access to this information, I have taken QB off my rankings.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Is Love an upgrade over Stick?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I think our draft plays out one of two ways:

If Tua is there, TT takes him and no Rivers. Or, if he isn’t:

We draft best OL for the first two picks, and bring back Rivers.

Dark horse: OL picks one and two, but no Rivers, just go with Taylor/Stick. Not sure I would agree with this, or hoping some of our recent picks at other positions develop, cuz that worked so well for OL, LB, I mean how many times do we have to redraft the same position?? (answer, a lot...)

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                Doesn't Love have a bad interception rate?
                This year, he has 20 TD passes and 17 interceptions against pretty week competition. No idea why anyone would want Love as a QB.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Dark horse: OL picks one and two, but no Rivers, just go with Taylor/Stick. Not sure I would agree with this, or hoping some of our recent picks at other positions develop, cuz that worked so well for OL, LB, I mean how many times do we have to redraft the same position?? (answer, a lot...)
                  I can't fathom that the decision to bring back Rivers or let him walk will not be decided long before the draft. It will have a massive effect on what they do.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    The problem with any team drafting a QB when you already have one is if the team struggles, the QB controversy will ensue, even if QB play is not the reason for the team struggling.

It doesn't help that NFL teams are not like college teams, and not set up to give a developing player the reps they need to become better. NFL teams run the plays that they want to use in the upcoming games with the 1st team, and the scout team runs the other teams plays, focusing on what plays need to be stopped, not what plays a young player may need work on.

As far as the Chargers go, I doubt that we would draft another DT high. While Tillery has been slow to develop, he has showed some flashes, as has Jones. I also like Williams and thought Broughton had a couple of flashes in his limited snaps. Only time will tell if we are in any way "set" at DT, but we have enough promise to move on to positions that need a number of bodies.

OL is obiously the highest priority, Even if you feel the OL is OK (and it's not), then with Okung coming off his health scare and his age, we need depth.

We need an every down LB, or at least find a better rotation to put the guys we have now into. Simmons is not a good fit unless we are going to change the D and find a way to use him. He does his best work as a blitzer or free lancing near the line, where he can change his drops and get missed by QB who struggle to read throwing lanes. I think LB depth is thinish, but we would be better off going for loading up on extra S who can play LB then spending too much on true LB.

The biggest issue this season, on D is that we still don't have a true FS type playing the position. Jenkins probably has a future with us, and can certainly play some FS, but is much better suited overall as a SS in the box. I am thinking a more athletic Adrian Phillips type, although we were crushed by not having Phillips this season, since it was his insertion into the dime package (and playing that package 75% of the snaps in 2017 and 2018) that was why the defense was so good. I think we have found the FS of the future, but adding another true FS for depth is not a horrible idea, although probably not till the middle of the draft.

Adding a top TE to go along with Henry is not a bad idea, although I would prefer a blocker 1st type, and that is probably not something we can get via the draft, and would have to grow ourselves.

RB is going to be an area of need. Even if we bring back Melvin Gordon,, I would like to see us improve our quickness by moving Ekeler into the slot. His quickness and we can keep him in the running game there, while teams tend to take him out of the offense by isolating him in the backfield, by blitzing and making him protect.

WR we still do not have a WR who get off press well. Williams can get deep, but like his predecessor Tyrell, neither is consistent getting off of press man to man and getting downfield. Both are great against zone, but we need to beat peoples blitzes and make plays when they blitz, not just cower in fear and regroup for another big play. Pass protection if part of that, but quicker players at the line who can attack coverage, even at the expense of speed.
                    Good analysis there, Steve. Depth at FS is something I think is wise, especially since we don't know how healthy Adderley will be. Rayshawn is just not the answer at FS. Use him to back up Derwin. But we also need a corner. This draft is a bit thin at 3-down LB's--may have to find one in FA.

Comment

• alex8080
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

if tua is there, he gets taken

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex8080 View Post

if tua is there, he gets taken
                        I'm not so sure. Tua was NOT a running QB before and with a surgically repaired hip and being a China doll I'm not sure I'd want him to be or if want him at #7.
                        Sorry, for me he is a huge ? Right now and what IF with that hip he runs a 5.00 -40?
                        Thats PR territory and he is a pocket passer now.
                        Thats my worst case with him.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I am now expecting Burrow-QB, Young-DE & Herbert-QB will be off the board before pick #7

One of these prospect will be there at #7

Simmons-LB, Clemson
                          Okudah-CB, Ohio St.
                          Epenesa-DE, Iowa
                          Brown-DT, Auburn
                          Jeudy-WR, Alabama
                          Thomas-OT, Georgia
                          Wirfs-OT, Iowa
                          Tua-QB, Alabama

7.Chargers

Tua is a mobile QB, not dual threat running QB.
                          He is going to land on his keister a lot. It is a huge concern that he will end up on IR a lot. Just can't draft him that high.

If I am Miami. I call Cin and ask what do they want for the #1 pick.

If I am Chargers. My preference is to move heaven and earth to get the #1 pick.
                          But they are unlikely to do that.
                          They should draft Herbert if he is still there at pick #7? But I am expecting Burrow to go #1 and Herbert to get taken Pick 2 through 6.
                          Herbert has a lot of tools to work with, he put up very good numbers. Oregon changed its HC his 1st 3 seasons. From Helfrich to Taggart to Cristobal.
                          And he kept playing well in spite of the different changes. So I think he handles change well and will handle the move to NFL level well.
                          I think he is still high on QB needy teams board and will go before pick#7.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X