Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What do you think of Adderley as a boundary CB?

I can see him at FS, with Jenkins at SS and Derwin close to the LOS in one package.
    Boundary CB is a college thing, who plays the short side of the field. It's a good place to put slot CB nickle CB types in the NFL, especially if they are aggressive in run support.

In the NFL, since the hash marks are so close together, the outside CB are both about equal distance to the ball. There is very little distinction between the two outside CB, which is very different than college.

Adderley is better suited as more of passing down slot guy. More quick than fast, struggles with his reads and gets overly aggressive jumping routes in tight. He is not the most aggressive or physical run defender in the slot. He would be OK as a 2nd slot CB who only comes on passing downs because he is not super aggressive in run support. He has also mostly been used as a zone CB. I am not sure he is the best fit outside, especially if we want the CB to start playing man coverage.

A big nickel package of James and Jenkins at SS types, and 2 LB in a 42/44 type of D would work, with Adderley at FS. Jenkins would also be a good fit as Phillips replacement at dime LB/S type. Jenkins is not as instinctive and intelligent as Phillips, but he is a better athlete and more aggressive.

The biggest issue I have with Adderley at CB is we have other, better fits at slot CB than Adderley. King is coming off his worst season, but he is still a very good slot CB. Harris is probably the best slot CB in years, and he can play press man, which makes him potentially disruptive, if we can find the guys to put around him (in press coverage). Adderley might become that way, but as a guy who hasn't played, you can't assume he will be that great, when you have 2 guys with great track records.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Boundary CB is a college thing, who plays the short side of the field. It's a good place to put slot CB nickle CB types in the NFL, especially if they are aggressive in run support. Richard Sherman...Michael Davis ?

In the NFL, since the hash marks are so close together, the outside CB are both about equal distance to the ball. There is very little distinction between the two outside CB, which is very different than college. OK.

Adderley is better suited as more of passing down slot guy. More quick than fast, struggles with his reads and gets overly aggressive jumping routes in tight. He is not the most aggressive or physical run defender in the slot. He would be OK as a 2nd slot CB who only comes on passing downs because he is not super aggressive in run support. He has also mostly been used as a zone CB. I am not sure he is the best fit outside, especially if we want the CB to start playing man coverage. I see potential as a developmental CB...maybe not.

A big nickel package of James and Jenkins at SS types, and 2 LB in a 42/44 type of D would work, with Adderley at FS. Jenkins would also be a good fit as Phillips replacement at dime LB/S type. Jenkins is not as instinctive and intelligent as Phillips, but he is a better athlete and more aggressive. I think I like this the mostest.

The biggest issue I have with Adderley at CB is we have other, better fits at slot CB than Adderley. King is coming off his worst season, but he is still a very good slot CB. Harris is probably the best slot CB in years, and he can play press man, which makes him potentially disruptive, if we can find the guys to put around him (in press coverage). Adderley might become that way, but as a guy who hasn't played, you can't assume he will be that great, when you have 2 guys with great track records.
      Adderley as CB depth at best...got it. Agreed about King/Harris.

:smile:
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think people see Adderley as a high pick as a DB, so they want to project him to play outside CB in place of Davis, just because it would be an easy fix.

Maybe Adderley can be an outside CB, although if he was such a great CB prospect, Delaware would have l kept him at CB, and he would have been a 1st round pick as a CB, instead of sliding to the 2nd to be drafted at FS. Occasionally, guys like Adderley can develop in a role no one scouted them in, but it is kinda rare. And while he hasn't played much at FS, he has flashed GREAT ability at FS, with range and it fits his skill set, so it seems like the best fit is at FS. Especially when Jenkins is only showing some, but not all of the things a FS needs to excel at to be an elite player.

If Jenkins can step up as a FS, then moving Adderley to CB makes sense. But Davis may still step up, and Harris is almost certainly still going to be able to play outside CB as well. Adderley is still a better bet as a deep S.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I've seen Adderley as FS but Lynn seems to love Jenkins at FS. NA is talented. We need to have a job for him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

The DBs situation is far away from a problematic one.
            If that defense is not on the top 10, it will be at DT for sure.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The best thing to do is let them compete for the job head to head. Sure it is nice to have a role for everyone, but make them compete in camp for playing time. Nothing hurts a team worse then giving a guy who can't play a starting job because of their draft status.

Let Adderley and Jenkins compete. We play more than just 2 S at a time most of the time. In our Dime package we have played the last few seasons (since Bradley took over), Phillips was the key cog. WIthout that 3rd S, our D was crap. Last year, when Teamer and Watkins were forced into the lineup, it was crap. We need depth, and forcing them to compete is a way to develop it.

Again, if you look at the salary that we gave Chris Harris, he looks like he is going to be playing a lot of outside CB. Even TT has said that he thinks Harris can play outside. So, I know that Harris may be excited to get to play back inside, I just don't know where he got the idea from, that he was going to be playing in the slot.

Looking at it in on paper. First group at each positon are locks and will get playing time. next group are backups who will play if/when injuries and on ST. 3rd group are camp bodies unless they can show something, which given the shortness of camp, not OTA's and no PS, means they probably have no chance to make the team.

CB - Hayward, Harris, King, Davis ... Facyson, ... Campbell, Vaughn, Meeks, McGill

S - Jenkins, James, Adderley ... Gilman, Teamer ... Brannon

And White could move back to S if needed

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Open competition sounds great. We have some training camp and I hope that the depth gets some exposure in games - without anyone getting hurt.
                Train 'em up.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I'll get on board with this defense when I see them getting 3 and outs and not wilting in the fourth quarter. Up until then, I simply do not trust our defense. That said, the additions to the defense Linval, Adderly and the return of James plus the rookie LB, Murray, gives them the potential to get those three and outs this year and hold a lead in the fourth quarter - but, I want to see it before I believe it.
                  Always the wise approach to abide by.
                  We definitely have the talent in the fold. The time for performance excellence has come.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

gusD has addressed this issue with specificity.
                    He did not have confidence in our complete group in coverage.
                    That is why he did not blitz.
                    Enter CHJ, Nasir, and Derwin.
                    gusD says we will now bring more pressure by design.
                    And don't forget that Derwin is a key pass rusher, too.

Tranquill and K9 will help in coverage as well.
                    Hope Kyzir’s knee is now fully healed.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Tranquill and K9 will help in coverage as well.
                      Hope Kyzir’s knee is now fully healed.
                      Our defensive potential is what keeps me interested in the NFL...and the Oculus.

Wait...is this ninja ?

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Our defensive potential is what keeps me interested in the NFL...and the Oculus.

Wait...is this ninja ?

Back from the hole.

How can anyone not be interested in 600+ yards of #superhighdef TV screens? That is the ?

Defensive talent is abundant on the Bolt roster. GusD had best utilize all of it in new and creative ways.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          The best thing to do is let them compete for the job head to head. Sure it is nice to have a role for everyone, but make them compete in camp for playing time. Nothing hurts a team worse then giving a guy who can't play a starting job because of their draft status.

Let Adderley and Jenkins compete. We play more than just 2 S at a time most of the time. In our Dime package we have played the last few seasons (since Bradley took over), Phillips was the key cog. WIthout that 3rd S, our D was crap. Last year, when Teamer and Watkins were forced into the lineup, it was crap. We need depth, and forcing them to compete is a way to develop it.

Again, if you look at the salary that we gave Chris Harris, he looks like he is going to be playing a lot of outside CB. Even TT has said that he thinks Harris can play outside. So, I know that Harris may be excited to get to play back inside, I just don't know where he got the idea from, that he was going to be playing in the slot.

Looking at it in on paper. First group at each positon are locks and will get playing time. next group are backups who will play if/when injuries and on ST. 3rd group are camp bodies unless they can show something, which given the shortness of camp, not OTA's and no PS, means they probably have no chance to make the team.

CB - Hayward, Harris, King, Davis ... Facyson, ... Campbell, Vaughn, Meeks, McGill

S - Jenkins, James, Adderley ... Gilman, Teamer ... Brannon

And White could move back to S if needed
                          "Letting Adderley and Jenkins" compete is a good idea, but easier said than done, seeing as how we have "Loyal Lynn" as our HC. He is already on record as saying Jenkins is playing at an "elite level", so until Adderley starts playing at a "super elite" level, or unless we play a Cover-2 with two deep free safeties on occasion, I doubt we see much of Nasir unless Rayshawn gets injured...

Comment

Working...
                          X