• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Mike Williams make the catch they go up 20-3
    he didn't. They kicked.FG and go up 16-3.
    It makes sense to kick there.

i see fans mention it was two score either way. So go for the TD to make it 3 scores

But two scores of 1TD 1FG is not the same problem as needing 2 TDs.

The FG up the ante of what the opponent needs to do to get back in the game. They need to get into endzone twice. So much different than get there once and then get to into FG range.
    ​​​​​
    And you end up being able to kick the game winning instead of game tying to end the game because you took the points there.

Did you see what Cardinals HC did . Down 2 with 8min left and went for on his own 35. Didn't get it. 49ers scored and went up by 9. And even if they only put up a FG, they go up 5 and now you need a TD. A punt there keeps it at 2pt game and you force them to drive. It was a terrible coaching call even if it worked. Lynn punts it there. And gives his team a better chance to win that game.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

That is where John Spanos will point to the road win playoff in Baltimore, where in Lynn's post-game locker room comments to the team, Coach Lynn says 'it felt like we dominated them today.'

HINDSIGHT: Lamar Jackson explodes into a turn-over machine in big game situations and the Chargers were the lucky first recipient. To your point, there is no signature win.
      If I recall in that Baltimore game - the Ravens had the ball near midfield down 6 points because the Chargers had a big lead, settled for FGs, had a FG blocked and started playing prevent defense and the Ravens moved the ball.

(Imagine that - the Chargers had a FG blocked!) The Chargers did dominate the game but on the scoreboard - it was still 6 points.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Mike Williams make the catch they go up 20-3
        he didn't. They kicked.FG and go up 16-3.
        It makes sense to kick there.

i see fans mention it was two score either way. So go for the TD to make it 3 scores

But two scores of 1TD 1FG is not the same problem as needing 2 TDs.

The FG up the ante of what the opponent needs to do to get back in the game. They need to get into endzone twice. So much different than get there once and then get to into FG range.
        ​​​​​
        And you end up being able to kick the game winning instead of game tying to end the game because you took the points there.

Did you see what Cardinals HC did . Down 2 with 8min left and went for on his own 35. Didn't get it. 49ers scored and went up by 9. And even if they only put up a FG, they go up 5 and now you need a TD. A punt there keeps it at 2pt game and you force them to drive. It was a terrible coaching call even if it worked. Lynn punts it there. And gives his team a better chance to win that game.
        I understand why a 13 point lead is not a 10 point lead in terms of two possession game. I thought Tomlin down 17 yesterday should have made it a two score game - it ended up working as they stopped the COlts inside the 5, short field, lead to a touchdown anyway.

If you are going 4th and 8 from your 40 - why not fourth and two

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
          I simply don't see the HC as why this team is 6-9.
          maybe I can find a single win that coaching it different could maybe have added a win making the team 7-8 right now.
          But I know a made FG at end of regulation vs Saints is for sure a win. I know a catch by Williams is for sure a win. I know a better play on 4th down by Facyson in back of endzone equal a win. I can find 3 wins for sure if players made plays that were right there to make. They say players just want to have an opportunity to make plays to be in position to make plays to win games. Well....they were in those situations and they didn't make the play. Players play coaches coach. You can't coach a player to make the play everytime without error, you can only help put them in position to make plays.

My issue is talent and health.
          Get a lead, you know the other team has to pass.
          That when it supposed to be time for pass rusher to feast and pad stats. Ingram ZERO sacks. What has Tillery done. Nwosu. Where is he? Wasn't Attachou supposed to be that guy? Telesco got one with pick#3 Bosa and he was hurt at times and missed games and parts of games. And the opponent can double Bosa and say to Chargers defenders, beat us. We dare you. The blitz isn't getting there. When Addae off the street comes down to threaten Blitz. He doesn't get home when he blitzes or cover well like Derwin James can.

When Ekeler went down the avg per carry dropped significantly by 1.5 yards.

Who are the impact players and where are they?
          Do fans realize Allen was torching the Saints and then didn't play the final 3 quarters. Do fans realize Bosa missed a bunch of snaps in that game. So they realize Hayward went off the field late in that game. These are not easy obstacles for a HC to overcome. Your backup can do what Allen and Bosa can do.
          Making life easier for other team.

I predicted 6 wins make for 49ers because of roster issues.
          I predicted no better than 8 wins for Patriots because of one player. One single player no longer there.

And I thought the Chargers roster was bottom 10 team without James, Ingram, Bosa, Allen, Ekeler, Bulaga, Henry, Turner, etc....alll missing parts or all of games and season.

Of their top 10 players I think only Herbert has be able to start and play each game. The rest of top 10 have been MIA or Walking wounded.

And to think with all that if 3 plays there to be made, were made 1.Badger makes a kick, 2.Williams a catch and 3.either Facyson a better play or ref keep flag in pocket on 4th down.
          Then this is a 9-6 team with Herbert rookie of year.
          3 plays. Three wins.

If I'm a player on the team I'm not looking at my HC and thinking we aren't winning because he sucks, I'm thinking we need to make the plays that are there to make. We have the opportunities to win these game. The coaches have done enough with game plan and game calls to put us in position to make winning plays. We have to make them. The kicks and the catches.

i know some here have a laundry list of blame about Lynn and how it all leads to team winning many more game, a playoff spot and even the #1 seed. But I simply disagree. The AFC 8th seed is a 10 win team and if playoff started today they would be in same spot Lynn and the Chargers are at. Not in the tournament. The health of the impact starters and defenders matters. These games are not close because Lynn tries to keep them close. No HC tries to keep the opponent in the game. They are close because the NFL is the most competitive football league there is. The top teams have many close games. They just happen to have better health with star players. And have kickers making kicks and players making catches to close those deals. Chargers players didn't make enough of those plays this year.

And if the team is going to start over.
          Then I want a full restart and Telesco fired too.

Lynn2021
          :salute:

The above quoted post is possibly the most clueless of the entire season.

Early down run heavy play calling in critical moments absolutely lost us the games against KC, @TB, @NO, @DEN and @MIA. Early down run heavy play calling almost cost us the @LV and DEN games.

Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/time management cost us the LV game. Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/management combined with idiotic play calling cost us the @BUF game. Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/time management almost cost us the ATL game, but Herbert rescued the team by driving nearly 50 yards in 30 seconds before Lynn dialed up an idiotic running play call to force his own kicker to kick a 40+ yard FG to win the game. This, of course, was after the idiotic time mismanagement to end the first half.

And that does not even begin to touch on the idiotic time mismanagement issues against TB, JAX and DEN in the first half of those games.

Failing to have the team ready to compete cost the team the game against CAR. Starting the wrong QB almost cost the team the @CIN game.

This team has blown 6 11+ point leads this season. The team nearly blew an 18 point lead against the then winless Jets.

Herbert saved the team from its own bad coaching for 5 of the 6 wins this season. CIN and the refs saved the team from its own bad coaching in the team's only other win.

I am not sure how much worse any one coach could possibly do, but I do know that I watched a legendary coach in Belichick take a less talented team and absolutely toy with the other coach (Lynn) that possessed the mind of a mentally challenged infant by comparison in the worst loss in team history. If one ever wanted to see the difference that good coaching versus bad coaching made, that was the game to watch. The good coach with the far less talented team won 45-0.

This has been a season of historically bad coaching on Lynn's part. Lynn must go.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Early down run heavy play calling in critical moments absolutely lost us the games against KC, @TB, @NO, @DEN and @MIA. Early down run heavy play calling almost cost us the @LV and DEN games.

Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/time management cost us the LV game. Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/management combined with idiotic play calling cost us the @BUF game. Clusterf*ck use of timeouts/time management almost cost us the ATL game, but Herbert rescued the team by driving nearly 50 yards in 30 seconds before Lynn dialed up an idiotic running play call to force his own kicker to kick a 40+ yard FG to win the game. This, of course, was after the idiotic time mismanagement to end the first half.

And that does not even begin to touch on the idiotic time mismanagement issues against TB, JAX and DEN in the first half of those games.

Failing to have the team ready to compete cost the team the game against CAR. Starting the wrong QB almost cost the team the @CIN game.

This team has blown 6 11+ point leads this season. The team nearly blew an 18 point lead against the then winless Jets.

Herbert saved the team from its own bad coaching for 5 of the 6 wins this season. CIN and the refs saved the team from its own bad coaching in the team's only other win.

I am not sure how much worse any one coach could possibly do, but I do know that I watched a legendary coach in Belichick take a less talented team and absolutely toy with the other coach (Lynn) that possessed the mind of a mentally challenged infant by comparison in the worst loss in team history. If one ever wanted to see the difference that good coaching versus bad coaching made, that was the game to watch. The good coach with the far less talented team won 45-0.

This has been a season of historically bad coaching on Lynn's part. Lynn must go.
            I just think he is in the bottom 20% of coaches in the NFL on Gameday - when it matters. I get all the other "narrative" jibber jabber but to me those phrases are just trying to pump the guy up - and I am sure he is all of those things and respected in the NFL. But I think they need a better coach. And, a better GM. Its not like Telesco is killing it with the talent. Not that many teams have a 2017 draft but that draft was a game changer for the Saints.

Josh Kelley and Trey Pipkins didn't play yesterday. Are they already bad picks by JohnBoy and TommyT

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I understand why a 13 point lead is not a 10 point lead in terms of two possession game. I thought Tomlin down 17 yesterday should have made it a two score game - it ended up working as they stopped the COlts inside the 5, short field, lead to a touchdown anyway.

If you are going 4th and 8 from your 40 - why not fourth and two
              It was at Den 40. You are in their territory but not in scoring range. So it either punt or go for it. Go for it keeps the opportunity to scored either FG or TD alive. When you are at 4th and 2, you are in scoring range, just a 25yd FG. So you take the points and extend the lead.

Comment

• bartman83642
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                How many times has Andy Reid team played down to competition. How many times has Mahomes saved him. And Tryeek saved him. Some of the TDs they put up in close games that are enough to win are not coaching or play calling. Its Mahomes going off script when the play breaks down and Tyreek a nightmare to cover on a scramble backyard football play. Its not in the damn playbook. It talent making plays.
                Same with Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. They make plays that a coach didn't call. The call didn't work, the opponent had it covered. But these great players best the defenses with backyard baller football.

​​​​​​If you think Colts loss to Steelers wasnt at all Rivers fault then you don't realize he had open recievers and threw a terrible interception when all he had to do on 1st and 10 was throw to one of the open single covered reciever underneath. It was a game losing decision. Its the type of decisions he makes too many times over the years. Its why he often comes up 1 game short of post season. They are 8th seed. If they end up one game short it will be because of Rivers not making enough game winning decisions. He had a solid year. Made a bunch of great throws and did a lot to help that team to 10 wins. But he also blew an opportunity to win yesterday with poor decisions late in that game. IMO, it always been an issue for him. And he has admitted in the off season that he needs to find the sweet spot between aggressive and stupid. He is a 16 year vet, he should not still be trying to figure out how to manage the game late and take what defense gives him. But apparently he knows that is one of his flaws. And thinks he can get better. I don't. I think that ship sailed long ago. And it was a lost cause when he tossed inexplicably bad interception vs Lions last year and then explained it away as unlucky, instead just saying it was a stupid throw and he should know better. I'm not surprised Lynn was ready to move on to Herbert. I like Herbert better than Rivers simply because Herbert is even keel, not too excitable, keeps his composure and will say it was a stupid throw and he need to be better. He won't explain away the turnover like Rivers did.

IMO
                1. It start with healthy talent and playmakers making plays.
                2. Then coaching.
                We did not have enough of #1 for coaching to be blamed.
                I know most disagree with my take.

Not possible. Lynn wasn't ready to move on to Herbert. He was ready to move on to Tyrod Taylor. When Rivers left Herbert hadn't even been drafted yet.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Chain is guessing. There is zero proof that anything he says should have been done different changes any loss to a win.
                  Absolutely Zero proof. Just his arrogance that done differently will lead to a different outcome to support his take.

But there is proof if Badgely make his kick that is a win.
                  There is proof if Williams catches the ball, it's a win.
                  There is proof if Facyson doesn't commitment questionable PI call by ref on 4th down then that it is a win.
                  3 plays made. 3 wins. And this is a 9-6 team even with the roster deficiencies and health issues.

Chainy has guesswork. And it may indeed be really good opinion about better strategy. But does not equal any guaranteed wins at all. None. Zero. Zilch. It simply extrapolate a bunch of things to occur. But those plays still have to be executed, each and everyone. Only then would we see if those changes made any difference in outcome. Chains changes don't lead to directly to wins. They assume that a win would indirectly follow. Again. Its guesswork that the outcome actually changes. What if those changes lead to more turnovers, what if they lead to Herbert on IR. We don't know if any of his ideas work out for the better. Because more than one thing has to occur. The decision is different, the results would be different. Could be better. Could be worse. If we are being honest. We simply do not know the outcome.

The 3 things I'm talking about lead directly to winning games. No change of call or strategy is needed. Nothing to assume or extrapolate. Just make the kick, make the catch, don't make the penalty. There is no guesswork or change of decision. There is just make the play that was there to make and win the game.

​​​​​​Chain can continue to think his ideas are exactly right and lead to the #1 seed. Unlikely the Spanos see it that way or Lynn would have already been fired. You don't allow an HC to ruin your shot at the #1 seed if you think you have a team capable of earning that seed. If Chainy is exactly right, it a bigger indictment of Telesco and Spanos than the HC himself. So I would expect Chainy to want to fire the GM, yet he thinks the team is super talented thank to the front office. He think they might get better with a 3rd HC hire. Maybe. But they could also get worse. Or even stay the same. Only one option is favorable.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

Not possible. Lynn wasn't ready to move on to Herbert. He was ready to move on to Tyrod Taylor. When Rivers left Herbert hadn't even been drafted yet.
                    They were clearly in the market for a QB at the #6 pick after parting ways with Rivers.
                    After draft they hired Pep to coach QB.
                    And Lynn was on record that in pre-season Hebert would get a chance to win the job. He was not committed to Tyrod starting until the pre-season was cancelled. So yes Lynn was prepared to go from Rivers to Herbert. Once he saw enough of Herbert in live action on gameday. even though Herbert had lost every start. He named him the starter for rest of year.

My opinion is if they had a pre-season.
                    Herbert wins the job based on Lynn words and actions.

Its a myth Lynn wanted Tyrod to win the job.
                    Lynn trusted the veteran to manage the game.
                    He didnt care who won the job. And there is no way he saw Tyrod as anything other than a placeholder for Herbert. Lynn said he didn't want to put a time table on Justin. He wanted it to play out naturally on the field and in pre-season. Whenever that was to happen was TBD. And that is exactly what happened.

Comment

• BigBad
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

I hate Lynn and want him gone. However, I give him a pass on not starting Herbert early in the year. There was no preseason and the early schedule was brutal. No way they wanted to expose a rookie to Mahomes, @Brady, @Brees. I'd bet anything the plan was to start him after the bye if Tyrod started. Nobody could forsee what Herbert is doing in games.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Post of the Decade right here.Screw Lynn.I dont feel sorry for the poor fella and I dont give two craps about his personality.My boss like most any industries could care less if I am a stand up guy or a really good dude.Results,plain and simple.We have Another losing season so fire the pathetic coaching staff and our mediocre cant build a damn O OR D line to save his life GM and move forward.The results are in Lynn,Gus,STEWARD,and TT Suck,Period.Show em the door or continue to be considered the lamest,weakest,cheapest,ownership in all of professional sports.

Comment

• BoltMan_28
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

If AL stays one more year then we need a new DC, so who do you all like at that spot if Bradley is let go?

BTW I want an all new coaching staff maybe keep Pep.
                          GM I have mixed feelings because I feel like John is part of the mess and we know he’s not going anywhere

Comment

Working...
                          X