• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I see at least 3 or 4 games where in game decisions to take the foot off the gas with a lead, horrible clock management, horrible play calls and horrible ST (which are Lynn's fault for bringing back Stewart) cost us wins. We should have at least 9 or 10 wins even with our roster holes and injuries.

As was pointed out earlier - Lynn has no killer instinct and never will. We turtle up every time we get a lead and try and shorten the game. It just doesn't work. We blew another double digit lead again yesterday and are lucky that the Broncos dropped 6 passes and Lock overthrew wide open receivers on a few other occasions. Yeah, we eeked out a win over a really bad Denver team but that isn't really saying much except we suck slightly less than they do.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Here is the thing - I bet even the Spanii and Telesco know the weaknesses of Lynn. Pundits and analysts do, Popper does - I bet a guy like Jeremiah does. So, the Chargers brass are deciding
      1) do we keep him because we like him basically -
      2) fire him as he isn't the best gameday coach but this "other stuff" is pretty good

It should be a no-brainer. And maybe it will be. And I get that MW dropped a touchdown pass but if Jeudy catches that one with 20 seconds to go - Adderley was not going to tackle him - that would have been ball game and for sure Lynn doesn't save his job. So, by any means, if thats what it took to save his job - shouldn't he be gone

End of the day - if you keep Lynn, you are going to play "flip a coin" games that come down to a play or two. 2018 - they made them; last year and this year, they didn't. Is that really what you want - hope you can win close games. As really, he has had lousy special teams for four years - do we really think he can "fix it" - I don't.
      On the surface, there seems to be a lot of screwups and disorganization on the part of this coaching staff.
      Behind the scenes, it might be a hell of a lot worse.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I see at least 3 or 4 games where in game decisions to take the foot off the gas with a lead, horrible clock management, horrible play calls and horrible ST (which are Lynn's fault for bringing back Stewart) cost us wins. We should have at least 9 or 10 wins even with our roster holes and injuries.

As was pointed out earlier - Lynn has no killer instinct and never will. We turtle up every time we get a lead and try and shorten the game. It just doesn't work. We blew another double digit lead again yesterday and are lucky that the Broncos dropped 6 passes and Lock overthrew wide open receivers on a few other occasions. Yeah, we eeked out a win over a really bad Denver team but that isn't really saying much except we suck slightly less than they do.
        He plays to not Lose when it comes down to it. Up 13-3 after he went for the 4th and 8 (which I liked by the way) - he gets to the end zone and kicks a field goal which means a two possession game is still a two possession game. Go for the win to make it 20-3 or back them up to their goal line. Nope - easy to kick a FG

He will continue to coach this way, He will still want "balance" next year in the offense. He is who he is.

Bengals - got lucky on a missed FG . What an unispired effort
        Jets - almost gave away a big game
        Jags - did give up a big lead but won
        Falcons - too close
        Raiders - close
        Denver - close

Where is the signature win that showed total domination from beginning to end> Is this what you want Deano and JohnBoy

Comment

• Bolt Doc
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • St. Louis, MO
          • Send PM

did Anthony Lynn really attempt to ice his own kicker by calling a time out at the end of the game? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Andy Reid was hired January 4rth, 2013 by the Chiefs.

Tom Telsco was hired January 9th, 2013 by the Chargers....Mike McCoy after that.

Same problem will happen next time....they'll go through their plodding method of hiring a GM first.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Doc View Post
              did Anthony Lynn really attempt to ice his own kicker by calling a time out at the end of the game? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
              Yes, he did it again.

Lynn was signaling that he had little faith in the kicker, so he thought taking the game clock down further was more important.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

How many times has Andy Reid team played down to competition. How many times has Mahomes saved him. And Tryeek saved him. Some of the TDs they put up in close games that are enough to win are not coaching or play calling. Its Mahomes going off script when the play breaks down and Tyreek a nightmare to cover on a scramble backyard football play. Its not in the damn playbook. It talent making plays.
                Same with Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. They make plays that a coach didn't call. The call didn't work, the opponent had it covered. But these great players best the defenses with backyard baller football.

​​​​​​If you think Colts loss to Steelers wasnt at all Rivers fault then you don't realize he had open recievers and threw a terrible interception when all he had to do on 1st and 10 was throw to one of the open single covered reciever underneath. It was a game losing decision. Its the type of decisions he makes too many times over the years. Its why he often comes up 1 game short of post season. They are 8th seed. If they end up one game short it will be because of Rivers not making enough game winning decisions. He had a solid year. Made a bunch of great throws and did a lot to help that team to 10 wins. But he also blew an opportunity to win yesterday with poor decisions late in that game. IMO, it always been an issue for him. And he has admitted in the off season that he needs to find the sweet spot between aggressive and stupid. He is a 16 year vet, he should not still be trying to figure out how to manage the game late and take what defense gives him. But apparently he knows that is one of his flaws. And thinks he can get better. I don't. I think that ship sailed long ago. And it was a lost cause when he tossed inexplicably bad interception vs Lions last year and then explained it away as unlucky, instead just saying it was a stupid throw and he should know better. I'm not surprised Lynn was ready to move on to Herbert. I like Herbert better than Rivers simply because Herbert is even keel, not too excitable, keeps his composure and will say it was a stupid throw and he need to be better. He won't explain away the turnover like Rivers did.

IMO
                1. It start with healthy talent and playmakers making plays.
                2. Then coaching.
                We did not have enough of #1 for coaching to be blamed.
                I know most disagree with my take.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  How many times has Andy Reid team played down to competition. How many times has Mahomes saved him. And Tryeek saved him. Some of the TDs they put up in close games that are enough to win are not coaching or play calling. Its Mahomes going off script when the play breaks down and Tyreek a nightmare to cover on a scramble backyard football play. Its not in the damn playbook. It talent making plays.
                  Same with Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. They make plays that a coach didn't call. The call didn't work, the opponent had it covered. But these great players best the defenses with backyard baller football.

​​​​​​If you think Colts loss to Steelers wasnt at all Rivers fault then you don't realize he had open recievers and threw a terrible interception when all he had to do on 1st and 10 was throw to one of the open single covered reciever underneath. It was a game losing decision. Its the type of decisions he makes too many times over the years. Its why he often comes up 1 game short of post season. They are 8th seed. If they end up one game short it will be because of Rivers not making enough game winning decisions. He had a solid year. Made a bunch of great throws and did a lot to help that team to 10 wins. But he also blew an opportunity to win yesterday with poor decisions late in that game. IMO, it always been an issue for him. And he has admitted in the off season that he needs to find the sweet spot between aggressive and stupid. He is a 16 year vet, he should not still be trying to figure out how to manage the game late and take what defense gives him. But apparently he knows that is one of his flaws. And thinks he can get better. I don't. I think that ship sailed long ago. And it was a lost cause when he tossed inexplicably bad interception vs Lions last year and then explained it away as unlucky, instead just saying it was a stupid throw and he should know better. I'm not surprised Lynn was ready to move on to Herbert. I like Herbert better than Rivers simply because Herbert is even keel, not too excitable, keeps his composure and will say it was a stupid throw and he need to be better. He won't explain away the turnover like Rivers did.

IMO
                  2. Then coaching.

That's a lot of typing just to say it's Rivers fault.

I don't recall Phil playing defense at all.

He had his team up 21-7 but yes he had two drives at the end to make it happen and he didn't. He was sacked six times as well.

Your repetitive statements get old.
                  Denver had as many or more starters out but you fail to acknowledge that.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Yes, he did it again.

Lynn was signaling that he had little faith in the kicker, so he thought taking the game clock down further was more important.
                    So then, I guess you didn't think leaving a little time as possible was a good idea?
                    Or, are you looking for something else to blame Lynn for? It seems to me he's made enough mistakes that we don't need to turn a good decision into something bad.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

IMO
                      2. Then coaching.

In terms of number 1, when was the last time the Chargers team was "healthy". I understand players get hurt but can anyone point out the last time the Chargers had a top five player not miss a significant amount of time. I have no doubt the leader of fine men will be brought back for 2021. The Chargers do the same stupid shit over and over. As much as it pains me to say, as a fan of this team since I was born, maybe Archie Manning was right. The Chargers consistently ranked in the bottom five run franchises in the NFL along with the Lions, Bengals etc. It pains me to see how they are going to throw Herberts talent away like they did with Seau, LT, Gate, and Rivers. I really can't wait to see what WR TT grabs in the top 10 this year and what "project" offensive linemen he grabs in the later rounds..........

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He plays to not Lose when it comes down to it. Up 13-3 after he went for the 4th and 8 (which I liked by the way) - he gets to the end zone and kicks a field goal which means a two possession game is still a two possession game. Go for the win to make it 20-3 or back them up to their goal line. Nope - easy to kick a FG

He will continue to coach this way, He will still want "balance" next year in the offense. He is who he is.

Bengals - got lucky on a missed FG . What an unispired effort
                        Jets - almost gave away a big game
                        Jags - did give up a big lead but won
                        Falcons - too close
                        Raiders - close
                        Denver - close

Where is the signature win that showed total domination from beginning to end> Is this what you want Deano and JohnBoy
                        That is where John Spanos will point to the road win playoff in Baltimore, where in Lynn's post-game locker room comments to the team, Coach Lynn says 'it felt like we dominated them today.'

HINDSIGHT: Lamar Jackson explodes into a turn-over machine in big game situations and the Chargers were the lucky first recipient. To your point, there is no signature win.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's a lot of typing just to say it's Rivers fault.

I don't recall Phil playing defense at all.

He had his team up 21-7 but yes he had two drives at the end to make it happen and he didn't. He was sacked six times as well.

Your repetitive statements get old.
                          Denver has as many or more starters out but you fail to acknowledge that.
                          Yes Denver did have players missing. They have roster issues also. They also have poor QB play.

Its a QB Driven league. Rivers failed yesterday.

It terms of repeating and getting old. Every person that post enough have a handful of points. And then those handful of points get debated repeatedly. I'm sure you last handful of posts basically show your opinion of things that you have stated numerous times. Feel free to ignore the thread or my posts.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X