• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I also think that despite some on this board criticizing how Lynn handled the Tyrod to Herbert transition, that everything behind the scene was actually fine. One of the few things Lynn actually did well this year.
    I think its exaggereated as well

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

BUF has no starting level talent at TE. All of our TEs are better than all of theirs. Parham is a better receiver than Knox, but he is buried behind Henry on the depth chart. That does not mean that he is not a better receiver than Knox.

I agree that BUF's OL is better even though their OL is not great. But we are much better at starting RB and starting TE. The WRs are close, though I would give the edge to ours. I still maintain that no reasonable person would chose Beasley over Williams. The QBs are a push as well. I think our QB has more upside, but their QB has had more time to develop. The defenses are very similarly ranked against both the run and the pass.

The point is that the talent level of the two teams is actually very close. Yet, BUF is 12-3 and we are 6-9. Why is there that difference? I say that the reason for that and the key difference is that their HC is not pissing away win after win. Their head coach and coordinators do not make absurd mistakes like ours do on a weekly basis.

You do not see them blowing 6 double digit leads, losing 4 of those games through the use of idiotic in game strategies. They blew one huge lead, but won the game and blew another double digit lead on the "Hail Murray" pass, which was more of a fluke than anything else. And they have had numerous double digit leads that they could have blown.

You do not see them making keystone cops/clown car time management decisions on a repeated basis.

That is why they are 12-3, which we could easily be, and we are 6-9.
      You could argue skill positions being equal but it just shows how important OL actually is. Maybe if fully healthy Pouncey, Turner, and Bulaga could have played together without injuries it would be different since OL chemistry is so important. Or heck, even a healthy Turner and Bulaga. As it is we need to not only get quality OL in the offseason but also find a way to keep them healthy.
      And no, I’m not arguing coaching doesn’t matter. McDermott has been better the last two years. I just think it’s unfair to say we’re as talented as the Bills when we’re really deficient in a key offensive area.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I also think that despite some on this board criticizing how Lynn handled the Tyrod to Herbert transition, that everything behind the scene was actually fine. One of the few things Lynn actually did well this year.
        I think most of the criticism isn't how it was handled, aside from the idiotic "He's a backup for a reason" comment and actually having to sleep on it before leaving Herbert as the starter when Taylor was healthy. Those were just dumb public comments that added to the Lynn is clueless thinking, but didn't really hurt anything. The justified criticism is that he apparently had zero clue what he had in Herbert and stubbornly stuck with Taylor. Funny how the players are now coming out with comments about how they could see back in camp how good he was.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think most of the criticism isn't how it was handled, aside from the idiotic "He's a backup for a reason" comment and actually having to sleep on it before leaving Herbert as the starter when Taylor was healthy. Those were just dumb public comments that added to the Lynn is clueless thinking, but didn't really hurt anything. The justified criticism is that he apparently had zero clue what he had in Herbert and stubbornly stuck with Taylor. Funny how the players are now coming out with comments about how they could see back in camp how good he was.
          So what would be the difference if Lynn had named Herbert the starter from the beginning? Is our record going to be magically better and we make the playoffs?

There’s actual justified criticism such as Lynn’s lack of game management skills, conservative nature, and inability to adjust. And then there’s whining for the sake of whining like the “justified criticism” example that you and the others are using.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            You could argue skill positions being equal but it just shows how important OL actually is. Maybe if fully healthy Pouncey, Turner, and Bulaga could have played together without injuries it would be different since OL chemistry is so important. Or heck, even a healthy Turner and Bulaga. As it is we need to not only get quality OL in the offseason but also find a way to keep them healthy.
            And no, I’m not arguing coaching doesn’t matter. McDermott has been better the last two years. I just think it’s unfair to say we’re as talented as the Bills when we’re really deficient in a key offensive area.
            I think we are better overall than BUF at the skill positions. Our starters at RB and TE are significantly better while we are at least equal at WR and QB.

Their OL is better, but not dramatically so. We have a below average OL. They have an average at best OL. Neither unit is like a healthy IND OL.

Coaching is the huge difference between these teams.

Comment

• Disco Volante
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2020
              • Send PM

We havent played a meaningful game since early november. What is this discussion even about anymore? I challenge anyone who can make it through this 10 minute video to explain how this idiot is even qualified to be gym teacher. He is awful. He makes kliff kingsbury look like a freaking genius. worst coach ive ever seen.

Comment

• Disco Volante
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2020
                • Send PM

Heres more video of popper questioning lynn about his use of timeouts in the buffalo game.

Two Marines have been charged in the death of Private Santiago & their defense has been that Lt. Kendrick, their commanding officer, gave them the order for ...

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think we are better overall than BUF at the skill positions. Our starters at RB and TE are significantly better while we are at least equal at WR and QB.

Their OL is better, but not dramatically so. We have a below average OL. They have an average at best OL. Neither unit is like a healthy IND OL.

Coaching is the huge difference between these teams.
                  Then no, we’re going to disagree because I don’t think we have the better overall skill positions. It’s a wash at this time. We have the better overall TE, they have the better and more consistent WR core, roughly equal with RB and QB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Then no, we’re going to disagree because I don’t think we have the better overall skill positions. It’s a wash at this time. We have the better overall TE, they have the better and more consistent WR core, roughly equal with RB and QB.
                    Agree. I've already had this discussion but Chain is very stubborn.
                    Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't agree and didn't think I would be.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

the only real problem with the Chargers offense is the OL and the coaches...

Comment

• Randall Turner
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2020
                        • Send PM

So what would be the difference if Lynn had named Herbert the starter from the beginning? Is our record going to be magically better and we make the playoffs?

There’s actual justified criticism such as Lynn’s lack of game management skills, conservative nature, and inability to adjust. And then there’s whining for the sake of whining like the “justified criticism” example that you and the others are using.
                        I just want to make sure I understand your position here: it sounds like you think Lynn’s inability to identify the better of his two QB choices in training camp isn’t “justified criticism”. Or, what? I hope you’re not claiming it wasn’t a mistake starting Taylor.

As for wins, we don’t know what would’ve happened if Herbert was the QB1 from the get-go, and it doesn’t matter. The point is if you can’t see Herbert’s better we don’t want you making those decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree. I've already had this discussion but Chain is very stubborn.
                          Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't agree and didn't think I would be.
                          To be clear, I think your disagreement with me is within the range of where reasonable minds might disagree.

Even if you think that the skill position players are equal overall and BUF has an edge with respect to the OL, that difference does not in any way account for the huge difference in wins (6) between the two teams.

Obviously, there is a reason for such a huge difference and that reason is the vast difference in level of coaching between the two teams.

BUF was up 38-9 against NE and still throwing the ball because that was what was working the entire game. They demonstrated killer instinct. They did not play "not to lose" like we always seem to do. They did not run away from what was working like we did against KC, NO, TB and DEN at key moments of the game that caused the momentum to shift. They did not use the wrong approach all game long like we did against MIA. They did not engage in clock management idiocy like we did against them and in the first LV game. Every one of those games should have been a win for us and was a loss instead.

You could say that one or two blown games might be within the range of normal. After all, BUF lost one huge lead (even though they won that game) and lost a game after leading by double digits on a Hail Mary pass, which I think we can all agree is mostly a fluke, but that is one or two games, not 7 games.

What is not within the range of where reasonable minds might differ is the crazy stuff that Critty posts for the notion that Lynn has not done anything wrong when the approach taken by Lynn has been amazingly poor in so many games this season.

Comment

Working...
                          X