• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Coaches coach the players that play. Funny how Marty could get the players to minimize mistakes with disipline but Stewart cant and Lynn wont do anything to help Stewart get thru to the players. I agree sometimes its absolutely on the players. You cant coach a punter fumbling a snap and then get his punt blocked for instance. I just dont think it is 100% one way.

If its just as easy as the players play, why would they need coaches? When rookies come in the league, its not ...ok, get out there and play. They need developement....which comes from the coaches. Some coaches are better than others and some of our coaches arent that good.

It would absolutely help if everybody was healthy but we never have everybody healthy at once. No teams do.

Im not against getting rid of everyone from the GM down but the biggest problem still remains with Spanos and his Sons.
    Did you not see the mistakes under Marty at the worst time in the most important games. I seem to remember McCree and Vincent Jackson taking turns not using their brains when on the field in playoffs.

I agree the common denominator in all this over decades of not having great special teams has to be higher up than the coach.

I do agree that what is happening under Stewart and Lynn on special teams needs to be addressed whether that is adding talent or replacing coaches. But we've been through many coaches over the past and more often than not, we have not been good on special teams regardless of who is the coach. So either front office sucks at picking coaches or sucks at picking players or they suck at both. But this is the Spanos product and they need to find an answer. I think it's more talent related than coach related.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Did you not see the mistakes under Marty at the worst time in the most important games. I seem to remember McCree and Vincent Jackson taking turns not using their brains when on the field in playoffs.

I agree the common denominator in all this over decades of not having great special teams has to be higher up than the coach.

I do agree that what is happening under Stewart and Lynn on special teams needs to be addressed whether that is adding talent or replacing coaches. But we've been through many coaches over the past and more often than not, we have not been good on special teams regardless of who is the coach. So either front office sucks at picking coaches or sucks at picking players or they suck at both. But this is the Spanos product and they need to find an answer. I think it's more talent related than coach related.
      Im going with front office sucks at picking coaches.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Under Telesco. Chargers have lost 48 one score games.
        26 before Lynn was even here. So......you know this is nothing new under Telesco. And a big reason is special teams. They are super important in helping win the close games. Chargers were not good at special teams prior to Lynn. So this problem of close losses and special team issues has been happening for a while. As K.Allen put it......for 8 years. Which make me lean strongly away from blaming coaches and instead think it is a roster build problem from the front office.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im going with front office sucks at picking coaches.
          Well, that's two of us. Who else will join our merry band?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Well, that's two of us. Who else will join our merry band?

three here! the Spanos history really does suck ands it been heavy on two things
            offensive
            first time

Ross and Marty - checked neither box. Ross was a HC in college
            maybe that should be what they are looking for instead of going down the same damn road.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I couldn't disagree more with any other comment here. The reason why Norv's special teams were abysmal is because he paid very little attention to it. Players were not paying attention to the special teams coach during meetings. One of the players from the Cowboys who become a Charger commented on it.. You think Schottenheimer wouldn't have attended a meeting or two to find out what the hell was going on? Something similar is going on with Lynn and staff - the proof is in the pudding.

How many all Pros on the Oline do you need for adequate punt protection?

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I couldn't disagree more with any other comment here. The reason why Norv's special teams were abysmal is because he paid very little attention to it. Players were not paying attention to the special teams coach during meetings. One of the players from the Cowboys who become a Charger commented on it.. You think Schottenheimer wouldn't have attended a meeting or two to find out what the hell was going on? Something similar is going on with Lynn and staff - the proof is in the pudding.

How many all Pros on the Oline do you need for adequate punt protection?
                Ok. But who picked Norv. And who in front office tolerated it.
                Again, the problem is higher up. Even if you don't think it's talent related and it is completely a coaching issue. What make you think it goes away with new coaches. It didn't go away last time the coaches were fired or the time before when coaches were fired.

To answer your question about how many all pros needed for adequate protection. I don't know. Do they even have ONE? Let's start there with one pro bowl caliber player on the special teams......whether that is a blocker, a gunner, a kicker, a punter or a returner, a holder or a snapper. Can we start with ONE and see how it goes from there.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

three here! the Spanos history really does suck ands it been heavy on two things
                  offensive
                  first time

Ross and Marty - checked neither box. Ross was a HC in college
                  maybe that should be what they are looking for instead of going down the same damn road.
                  College to Pros Coaching is the toughest transition in the business. Only Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Ross -- QB at Virginia Military Institute in 1957 -- were only two coaches in the NFL with a national championship in college and a Super Bowl appearance, in 1995.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

College to Pros Coaching is the toughest transition in the business. Only Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Ross -- QB at Virginia Military Institute in 1957 -- were only two coaches in the NFL with a national championship in college and a Super Bowl appearance, in 1995.
                    Harbaugh took his team toa Super Bowl I think

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Coryell shoulda been on that list

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I clearly stated in 1995. That was 25 years ago, That was novel back then. Old hat now.

I'm pointing out that some us of Charger fans wore onions on our belts back then, as that was the fashion.

Comment

Working...
                          X