• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Never had been and still not a fan of Josh McD. That said, when looking at KC and Reid and Mahommes. You gotta fight fire with fire.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I don't disagree. They have done better with former HCs who already had success before.
      The problem is both Ross and Marty ended up resigning and getting fired because of issues with front office.
      So the pattern is the more experienced and stubborn the HCs is..... the more likely the will get fired because Spanos will want to exert control over roster and coaching staff.

​​​​​​So ultimately the real issue is ownership. Not Lynn.
      It wasn’t Spanos, it was the GM that they both had problems with. Spanos backed the GM both times to the detriment of the team.

which brings up one of the real issues with Spanos. He’s a poor leader. So is it any surprise he picks poor leaders as coaches? He doesn’t know how to resolve conflict

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Yet he said 8 years. That is way way before Lynn arrived,
        but Telesco has been here 8 years. We can make Lynn the scapegoat. But, other HCs Marty, Norv, McCoy were scapegoats...... are we really going to point finger at the HC again. Is there ever a sense that If HC was the real issue that the people who hire the HC are ultimately the most accountable for the product. And therefore the real fix is much higher up.
        Well hey I'm all for firing Dean but since that isn't going to happen, blame goes elsewhere and AJ did get canned with Norv.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          If I felt Lynn was an average (middle of the road) coach I wouldn’t want to risk moving on.
          If Lynn were a middle tier coach in the NFL - this team would be like 4-5. Meaning they beat Denver and finished a game either against KC, Oakland or Carolina. Thats not a stretch as all those games were really one or two play games.

Lynn is a bottom 5 coach in the NFL on Gamedays - I firmly believe that. And his decision to keep Stewart at this point - makes zero sense.

But, I would not also allow Telesco to hire the next coach. I am firing Telesco

I liked the names Popper had in his chat wrap. Riddick obviously and even Jeremiah. Daniel Jeremiah knows the team and talent. He knows the personality of the players. I think that knowledge could be a huge asset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Good point.

This is how one of the best players on team feels.

"I think it's unfair," explained Allen. "We are the ones on the field. We are the ones not making the plays. With the turnovers, the special team's blocked punt, and offsides on a field goal, that's uncoachable stuff. So, we got to fix our stuff first."

"Sh*t, it's been like this since I've been here," Allen said. "Pretty much the last eight years, we lose a lot of close games. When we do have the lead, we still losing."

"Obviously, we got a lot of talent," said Allen. "A lot of pieces. We got a lot of injuries as well, too. So, I think it goes hand in hand. A lot of our guys get injured, year in, year out, and then never recover, but it is what it is."

It seems like a yearly tradition that the Bolts will lose talented players in training camp and during the season. For the last two seasons, it has been all-pro safety, Derwin James. This season along with James, they have lost running back Austin Ekeler (five games), cornerback Chris Harris Jr. (six games), Ingram (three games), defensive tackle Justin Jones (three games), defensive end Joey Bosa (two games), linebacker Drue Tranquill (eight games), right guard Trai Turner (seven games), and right tackle Bryan Bulaga (three games, and only played in 10 snaps in two other games).

"It's not been the greatest of years, but I think we've done a good job of keeping our mindset straight and attitude right," explained Allen. "Just staying locked in."

Seems more like a Telesco issue or Spanos issue than a HC issue based on Allen's comments. Especially, the its been like this for 8 years comment.
            Well, you have Allen's point of view, but your inability to draw the obvious conclusion from that point of view is astounding.

Allen is saying that the last eight years have been about the same in terms of what he is seeing. I could not agree more.

I have dedictated numerous posts to showing how McCoy and Lynn have had nearly identical four year runs as our head coach. McCoy had a 9-7 non-playoff team, a wild card round winning playoff team and a 5-11 team. Lynn has had exactly all of those results as well. In McCoy's other season, the team went 4-12. At 2-7, Lynn is generally on pace to have a 4-12 finish this season. No wonder it seems like the same cycle repeating itself to Allen. That is pretty much exactly what is going on just as I have stated repreatedly--two repeating four year cycles with two different head coaches. Those two cycles add up to eight years.

Allen also confirms another point that I have repeatedly stated--that the team has a lot of talent. Telesco's job is to acquire talent. He has done that and that is why the result is not on him. The team is grossly underachieving. That is on the head coach.

Though I would argue that McCoy's teams were substantially less talented than Lynn's teams, meaning that McCoy actually did a better job with what he had than Lynn has done, even if someone were to disagree, at best the two coaches have done the same overall job. So, in the best case scenario for Lynn, there is no basis to treat Lynn any more favorably than McCoy was treated.

Lynn should be fired.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Well, you have Allen's point of view, but your inability to draw the obvious conclusion from that point of view is astounding.

Allen is saying that the last eight years have been about the same in terms of what he is seeing. I could not agree more.

I have dedictated numerous posts to showing how McCoy and Lynn have had nearly identical four year runs as our head coach. McCoy had a 9-7 non-playoff team, a wild card round winning playoff team and a 5-11 team. Lynn has had exactly all of those results as well. In McCoy's other season, the team went 4-12. At 2-7, Lynn is generally on pace to have a 4-12 finish this season. No wonder it seems like the same cycle repeating itself to Allen. That is pretty much exactly what is going on just as I have stated repreatedly--two repeating four year cycles with two different head coaches. Those two cycles add up to eight years.

Allen also confirms another point that I have repeatedly stated--that the team has a lot of talent. Telesco's job is to acquire talent. He has done that and that is why the result is not on him. The team is grossly underachieving. That is on the head coach.

Though I would argue that McCoy's teams were substantially less talented than Lynn's teams, meaning that McCoy actually did a better job with what he had than Lynn has done, even if someone were to disagree, at best the two coaches have done the same overall job. So, in the best case scenario for Lynn, there is no basis to treat Lynn any more favorably than McCoy was treated.

Lynn should be fired.
              The problem I have with keeping Telesco - do we trust him to be in the room hiring a THIRD head coach. I truly do not. SEcond, Teleso has yet to build an OLine worth a damn. He has not done that good of a job. Though I do think both Lynn and McCoy are bottom 5 coaches in the NFL

I would just fire them both actually.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

:LOL:

K.Allen is laughing you. K.Allen told us all point blank. Those type of errors are 100% on players. Hayward also said same thing recently. Why because it's a team game. And they win and lose together. Coaches coach and players play. And playmakers make big time plays. We need our playmakers healthy and we need more playmakers. This team is talented but as Allen said they are injured so it goes hand in hand.
                Im taking Allen at his word. And throwing your opinion in the garbage.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• bartman83642
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

K.Allen is laughing you. K.Allen told us all point blank. Those type of errors are 100% on players. Hayward also said same thing recently. Why because it's a team game. And they win and lose together. Coaches coach and players play. And playmakers make big time plays. We need our playmakers healthy and we need more playmakers. This team is talented but as Allen said they are injured so it goes hand in hand.
                  No, Keenan is not laughing at anybody and despite the fact that he told us point blank he is not quite correct. Blocked punts, depends on the situation. In the case of a bad snap etc., no not really coachable. If a player is out of position or makes the wrong block etc. completely coachable. Turnovers are harped on by coaches all the way from the pee wee leagues to the NFL and coaches still work with players on how to prevent them, so also coachable. Lining up offsides on a field goal, also coachable. While the players themselves ultimately make the mistakes it is on the coaches to help them to avoid making those mistakes and helping correct them after they have been made. Sounds to me more like Keenan is being careful in his statements and toeing the party line with this.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

No, Keenan is not laughing at anybody and despite the fact that he told us point blank he is not quite correct. Blocked punts, depends on the situation. In the case of a bad snap etc., no not really coachable. If a player is out of position or makes the wrong block etc. completely coachable. Turnovers are harped on by coaches all the way from the pee wee leagues to the NFL and coaches still work with players on how to prevent them, so also coachable. Lining up offsides on a field goal, also coachable. While the players themselves ultimately make the mistakes it is on the coaches to help them to avoid making those mistakes and helping correct them after they have been made. Sounds to me more like Keenan is being careful in his statements and toeing the party line with this.
                    Again, I am just looking at the metrics and under Lynn, the Chargers ST best performance is 25 - which is bottom 25%. Other years, worse. So the constants are not the players. So this is either 1) Telesco finding crappy players 2) bad coaching

Sure players make plays but maybe the coaching is just not that good,

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Again, I am just looking at the metrics and under Lynn, the Chargers ST best performance is 25 - which is bottom 25%. Other years, worse. So the constants are not the players. So this is either 1) Telesco finding crappy players 2) bad coaching

Sure players make plays but maybe the coaching is just not that good,
                      ​​​​​
                      Well.... special team rank in 2015 and 2016 was 29th and 31st
                      ​​​​​Stewart and Lynn weren't even here. So this special teams problem pre dates their arrival. And remember even back in the Norv AJ days there was a season with the historically worse special teams ever. And kicker Kaeding was awful on special teams when playoff started and kicked Charges out of playoffs instead of into the next round. Again the common denominator is that Spanos have been part of scouting and personnel decisions throughout all of this. But they won't ever get fired. Instead those below them are the scapegoats and fall guys. Insanity is to repeatedly blame coaches and fire coaches and not look at who is picking these players and kickers and kick returners and gunners. Telesco pick Travis Benjamin as his home run hitter gave him a nice contract and got what value from him. Lynn and Stewart gave him every opportunity and then benched him. But we're Lynn and Stewart involved in adding Benjamin. No. He was added a year before they arrived.

Considering the FG Kicker, Punter, Kick Returner and Punt Returner and backups who make up special teams and O-line players who block on kicks are brought in by front office. And the stats show they have been bad not for 3 years, but for multiple seasons prior. It more likely a talent issue. You have to go back 7 years to 2013 to find them in top half of teams when they ranked 15th. And guess who was Punt Returner. K.Allen and who was Kick Returner..Danny Woodhead. And who was Punter. Mike Scifres. And who was FG kicker. Nick Novak. By the way Novak made 91.9% on FG and 100% on XP.
                      It always start with Talent.
                      i think some are over estimated how talented this team really is. We don't have Justin Tucker at kicker, we don't have Tyreek Hill at returner.
                      So I'm picking option 1.
                      I am putting the blame for the end result higher up the food chain.
                      ​​
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

​​​​​
                        Well.... special team rank in 2015 and 2016 was 29th and 31st
                        ​​​​​Stewart and Lynn weren't even here. So this special teams problem pre dates their arrival. And remember even back in the Norv AJ days there was a season with the historically worse special teams ever. And kicker Kaeding was awful on special teams when playoff started and kicked Charges out of playoffs instead of into the next round. Again the common denominator is that Spanos have been part of scouting and personnel decisions throughout all of this. But they won't ever get fired. Instead those below them are the scapegoats and fall guys. Insanity is to repeatedly blame coaches and fire coaches and not look at who is picking these players and kickers and kick returners and gunners. Telesco pick Travis Benjamin as his home run hitter gave him a nice contract and got what value from him. Lynn and Stewart gave him every opportunity and then benched him. But we're Lynn and Stewart involved in adding Benjamin. No. He was added a year before they arrived.

Considering the FG Kicker, Punter, Kick Returner and Punt Returner and backups who make up special teams and O-line players who block on kicks are brought in by front office. And the stats show they have been bad not for 3 years, but for multiple seasons prior. It more likely a talent issue. You have to go back 7 years to 2013 to find them in top half of teams when they ranked 15th. And guess who was Punt Returner. K.Allen and who was Kick Returner..Danny Woodhead. And who was Punter. Mike Scifres. And who was FG kicker. Nick Novak. By the way Novak made 91.9% on FG and 100% on XP.
                        It always start with Talent.
                        i think some are over estimated how talented this team really is. We don't have Justin Tucker at kicker, we don't have Tyreek Hill at returner.
                        So I'm picking option 1.
                        I am putting the blame for the end result higher up the food chain.
                        ​​
                        thats fair - if Telesco is fired I won't be like "wow, he did a great job!" (heck I have been watching Notre Dame games just to see who he will draft next year)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Coaches coach the players that play. Funny how Marty could get the players to minimize mistakes with disipline but Stewart cant and Lynn wont do anything to help Stewart get thru to the players. I agree sometimes its absolutely on the players. You cant coach a punter fumbling a snap and then get his punt blocked for instance. I just dont think it is 100% one way.

If its just as easy as the players play, why would they need coaches? When rookies come in the league, its not ...ok, get out there and play. They need developement....which comes from the coaches. Some coaches are better than others and some of our coaches arent that good.

It would absolutely help if everybody was healthy but we never have everybody healthy at once. No teams do.

Im not against getting rid of everyone from the GM down but the biggest problem still remains with Spanos and his Sons.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-18-2020, 12:02 PM.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X