• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

College to Pros Coaching is the toughest transition in the business. Only Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Ross -- QB at Virginia Military Institute in 1957 -- were only two coaches in the NFL with a national championship in college and a Super Bowl appearance array Switzer, in 1995.
    opps didnt see Switzer at first, was going to add him here.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

so we decide we're gonna fire Tom and the FO brass decides the best man for the job is Critty.... AL's agent has his first meeting w/our new GM and tells him, look you've seen what A. Ray can do, he's been here for three years now, and you and eye both know that 'tis plain as day that this guy is Belichick good, and that's all I'm asking.... pay the man, and.... we're not asking for Belichick monies, just Belichick Jr. monies.... you gotta pay him more than the going rate for coaches in the NFL tho.... not the $8m per.... @the minimum, Anthony is a $10m/year HC, and that's just for starters.... let's talk.

so Crittstir.... how much you gonna pay the man, and for how many years ??
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        so we decide we're gonna fire Tom and the FO brass decides the best man for the job is Critty.... AL's agent has his first meeting w/our new GM and tells him, look you've seen what A. Ray can do, he's been here for three years now, and you and eye both know that 'tis plain as day that this guy is Belichick good, and that's all I'm asking.... pay the man, and.... we're not asking for Belichick monies, just Belichick Jr. monies.... you gotta pay him more than the going rate for coaches in the NFL tho.... not the $8m per.... @the minimum, Anthony is a $10m/year HC, and that's just for starters.... let's talk.

so Crittstir.... how much you gonna pay the man, and for how many years ??
        I know I won't let my ego get in the way when I have a coach coming off a 14-2 season. I know I would part ways with players when their value is high. So I'd have shipped Rivers a while ago. And not just wait for a comp pick. So.....you know..... Its all about winning I could care less if the front office is best of friends. I could care less if my players get into heaven. I'm trying to win a championship.

P.S. since Chargers franchise has never won a superbowl. I feel like I'm playing with house money. If my moves don't results in a championship then what is the difference. The owners moves haven't won the trophy either.
        Last edited by Critty; 11-18-2020, 06:29 PM.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Ok. But who picked Norv. And who in front office tolerated it.
          Again, the problem is higher up. Even if you don't think it's talent related and it is completely a coaching issue. What make you think it goes away with new coaches. It didn't go away last time the coaches were fired or the time before when coaches were fired.

To answer your question about how many all pros needed for adequate protection. I don't know. Do they even have ONE? Let's start there with one pro bowl caliber player on the special teams......whether that is a blocker, a gunner, a kicker, a punter or a returner, a holder or a snapper. Can we start with ONE and see how it goes from there.
          Punt teams typically have zero All Pros blocking from punt formation...you shouldn't need one.
          Those consistent type of breakdowns go beyond talent and point directly towards the coaching staff.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I know I won't let my ego get in the way when I have a coach coming off a 14-2 season. I know I would part ways with players when their value is high. So I'd have shipped Rivers a while ago. And not just wait for a comp pick. So.....you know..... Its all about winning I could care less if the front office is best of friends. I could care less if my players get into heaven. I'm trying to win a championship.

P.S. since Chargers franchise has never won a superbowl. I feel like I'm playing with house money. If my moves don't results in a championship then what is the difference. The owners moves haven't won the trophy either.
            IF you're talking about Marty Schottenheimer, Marty was fired because he was having panic attacks on the sideline during the 2006 game against the Patriots. Marty called repeatedly for someone to come and calm him down. NFL Films had Marty wired for sound for that game and I saw a partial transcript. The dried twig that AJ Smith described as snapping on the sidelines, was Marty Schottenheimer.

Doesn't matter that NFL Films never released it, and because it was Marty's last game as a head coach.

================================================== =========================

I posted this in January 2017 when Anthony Lynn was hired. I still stand by every word.
            5-13 is Marty Schottenheimer's playoff record. You know that 'snap like a dried twig' reference that AJ Smith used to use? That was directed at Marty Schottenheimer, who snapped on the sidelines like a dried twig against the Patriots in the divisional playoffs following the 2006 season. Marty Schottenheimer had a panic attack on the sidelines of that game. I know because NFL Films had Marty mic'ed up for that game and they have never released the audio but I've read portions of the transcript.

The Chargers killed themselves with mistakes due to their uptight head coach in that game, i.e., Wade Philips' Prevent defense that allowed the Patriots to score before the half, Marlon McCree's interception, and Shaun Philipps' head-butt come to mind, not to mentioned the screaming match between Marty and Cam Cameron on Marty's decision to go for it on 4th and 11.

Marty: We’re going for it.

Cameron: No f’ing way coach, we’re kicking.

Marty: Find a play. We’re going for it.

From then on it was a huge argument with cursing left and right. They had to call a time out and when Rivers came over he said, “What’s going on, why aren’t we kicking the field goal?”

When the head coach is calling on his headset for someone on the staff to come and calm him down, which happened, then I am going to disagree that Marty needed just once more chance to get a ring. Early in the second quarter, Marty yelled into the mic, “Goddamnit, I’m so hyped up someone needs to get over here and calm me down.” So the special teams coach comes over to him and talks to him and Marty says, “I was pulling into the parking lot today and I decided we were going to be aggressive. People don’t think I can be aggressive but I decided driving in that we were going to be.”

And the ST coach says, “Coach. You can’t let the outside stuff get to you.”

Everything italicized is verbatim what the mic on Marty captured on the sidelines.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

:coolstorybro:

Sounds made up. ....why......because sports reporters would love to be the one to sell that scoop. Yet somehow it doesn't show up anywhere except the powder blues forum over a decade later in your post. I'm glad you stand by it. But I'm not buying it.
              im going to need a more reliable source than you and your claims. And I could care less what the Lord or no rings says. He got his only GM job because his boss died. Butler drafted LT and Brees and hired Marty. He was a genius. AJ was an arrogant man who failed and was fired.

​​​​​
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

IF you're talking about Marty Schottenheimer, Marty was fired because he was having panic attacks on the sideline during the 2006 game against the Patriots. Marty called repeatedly for someone to come and calm him down. NFL Films had Marty wired for sound for that game and I saw a partial transcript. The dried twig that AJ Smith described as snapping on the sidelines, was Marty Schottenheimer.

Doesn't matter that NFL Films never released it, and because it was Marty's last game as a head coach.

================================================== =========================

5-13 is Marty Schottenheimer's playoff record. You know that 'snap like a dried twig' reference that AJ Smith used to use? That was directed at Marty Schottenheimer, who snapped on the sidelines like a dried twig against the Patriots in the divisional playoffs following the 2006 season. Marty Schottenheimer had a panic attack on the sidelines of that game. I know because NFL Films had Marty mic'ed up for that game and they have never released the audio but I've read portions of the transcript.

The Chargers killed themselves with mistakes due to their uptight head coach in that game, i.e., Wade Philips' Prevent defense that allowed the Patriots to score before the half, Marlon McCree's interception, and Shaun Philipps' head-butt come to mind, not to mentioned the screaming match between Marty and Cam Cameron on Marty's decision to go for it on 4th and 11.

Marty: We’re going for it.

Cameron: No f’ing way coach, we’re kicking.

Marty: Find a play. We’re going for it.

From then on it was a huge argument with cursing left and right. They had to call a time out and when Rivers came over he said, “What’s going on, why aren’t we kicking the field goal?”

When the head coach is calling on his headset for someone on the staff to come and calm him down, which happened, then I am going to disagree that Marty needed just once more chance to get a ring. Early in the second quarter, Marty yelled into the mic, “Goddamnit, I’m so hyped up someone needs to get over here and calm me down.” So the special teams coach comes over to him and talks to him and Marty says, “I was pulling into the parking lot today and I decided we were going to be aggressive. People don’t think I can be aggressive but I decided driving in that we were going to be.”

And the ST coach says, “Coach. You can’t let the outside stuff get to you.”

Everything italicized is verbatim what the mic on Marty captured on the sidelines.

Before that heated conversation with Cam Cameron, Marty approached Nate Kaeding and asked him if he could make the field goal. Kaeding reportedly told Marty: "I don't know" Taken in context, the decision to go for it wasn't irrational. Marty had them go for it on 4rth down later in the half....they got it and proceeded to drive for the touchdown.

A lot goes on on the sidelines in games that will surprise people....lots of heated arguments.

Three unforced turnovers in the 2nd half killed them: a fumbled punt, a Rivers pass trying to get it over a Patriot linebacker to LT, and the deadly McCree fumble.

AJ Smith's was not exactly a non biased observer. He wanted Schottenheimer gone before the year started

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

:coolstorybro:

Sounds made up. ....why......because sports reporters would love to be the one to sell that scoop. Yet somehow it doesn't show up anywhere except the powder blues forum over a decade later in your post. I'm glad you stand by it. But I'm not buying it.
                  im going to need a more reliable source than you and your claims. And I could care less what the Lord or no rings says. He got his only GM job because his boss died. Butler drafted LT and Brees and hired Marty. He was a genius. AJ was an arrogant man who failed and was fired.

​​​​​
                  If my answers frighten you, you should cease asking scary questions.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Marty was fired because he tried to hire his brother as a coordinator over Spanos objections.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Marty was fired because he tried to hire his brother as a coordinator over Spanos objections.
                      Sure, Rich.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

I’m not inclined to believe any unfounded claims, until, you know, they’re founded.
                        but if this is accurate, it’s pretty damn sad, not just Marty, but all around, spygate included.
                        all I remember vividly about that day is uncharacteristically being very quiet and cautious during halftime (having a lead)
                        hands in pocket, nervously grinning to my cousin doing the same thing, when I uttered a “realization” of... “oh wow, we’re going to win a playoff game”

young damn fool.
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          I’m not inclined to believe any unfounded claims, until, you know, they’re founded.
                          but if this is accurate, it’s pretty damn sad, not just Marty, but all around, spygate included.
                          all I remember vividly about that day is uncharacteristically being very quiet and cautious during halftime (having a lead)
                          hands in pocket, nervously grinning to my cousin doing the same thing, when I uttered a “realization” of... “oh wow, we’re going to win a playoff game”

young damn fool.
                          The irony of that game was Tomlinson was killing it and all Marty had to do in the second half was play "Marty Ball" and he wins it going away.

The best chance he ever had to win a playoff game and SB by just playing "Marty Ball" and he could not do it. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                          X