• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

My discussion of a potential conflict in my analysis has nothing to do with starters and backups. It has to do with the superficial appearance on the one hand of blaming our coaching for a slow start against Carolina and on the other of not crediting our coaching for fast starts against Kansas City, Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

My point was/is that I can see how that might look at first glance as if I am contradicting myself, but I do not believe that I am. I see the reasons for the fast starts as having little to do with the coaching and more to do with big plays by Herbert that are often made in spite of being placed in bad down and distance situations by the inept game plans and play calling of our coaches. In those games, we have been able to get ahead in spite of our less than stellar coaching, not because of it.

Then, once we have been out to big leads, we have made numerous tactical in game blunders and we have been outcoached in terms of the halftime adjustments made against us.

So, yes, I blame Lynn for bringing the team out flat against the Panthers, but do not credit him for fast starts in other games and I do not see any inconsistency in doing that.
    so lemme get this straight: If Chargers play well its Herbert making big plays. If Chargers play bad its Lynn making bad play calls? Does someone else call the big plays that we dont know about? All those bombs we see from Herbert were inside runs called by Lynn and then audibled by Herbert? I dont buy it.

The same coach who calls the inside run early downs is setting it up for the big bomb by Herbert later. Play action only works when you run the ball.

Who gets the credit for the 36 yard draw play Justin Jackson broke off vs NO?
    Who gets credit for Davis INT pick 6 vs TB?
    Who gets credit for Adderly INT almost pick 6 vs NO?
    was it natural ability for these plays, good coaching and film study or combo of both? I say both and when the team plays bad its a combo of both.
    This adds to my point: If the players natural ability is not good enough (ie backups vs starters) then coaching finds it hard to overcome. Since Chargers have been close with their backups we have good coaches.

Yes you can blame coaches for Chargers coming out flat vs CAR. If you dont credit coaches for getting big leads then it seems like blind hatred for Lynn.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Potentially....we'll see what we have for the rest of the season. If we lose to average teams I'll help him pack his bags! If the season is lost and there's zero chance for the playoffs, and they have a really good coach lined up for end season player evaluation, I'm good with that too!

opcorn:
      My big fear for the rest of the season: we win several games over the next 5 simply because we suck less than the teams we are playing, and limp home with 7 or 8 wins and decide to keep Lynn. We'd then waste a large chunk of Herbert's early career with a head coach who simply isn't good enough to win it all.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

My big fear for the rest of the season: we win several games over the next 5 simply because we suck less than the teams we are playing, and limp home with 7 or 8 wins and decide to keep Lynn. We'd then waste a large chunk of Herbert's early career with a head coach who simply isn't good enough to win it all.
        I don't think you have anything to worry about. Maybe we beat the Jags and Jets. Seems too difficult to beat a division rival.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-14-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• KrazyLegs
          Registered Dude
          • Sep 2018
          • Westminster, MA
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

so lemme get this straight: If Chargers play well its Herbert making big plays. If Chargers play bad its Lynn making bad play calls? Does someone else call the big plays that we dont know about? All those bombs we see from Herbert were inside runs called by Lynn and then audibled by Herbert? I dont buy it.

The same coach who calls the inside run early downs is setting it up for the big bomb by Herbert later. Play action only works when you run the ball.

was it natural ability for these plays, good coaching and film study or combo of both? I say both and when the team plays bad its a combo of both.
          This adds to my point: If the players natural ability is not good enough (ie backups vs starters) then coaching finds it hard to overcome. Since Chargers have been close with their backups we have good coaches.

Yes you can blame coaches for Chargers coming out flat vs CAR. If you dont credit coaches for getting big leads then it seems like blind hatred for Lynn.
          Soooo...

Getting a big lead and blowing that lead every week = good coaching?

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

Comment

• Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

You cite the one running play that worked very well in the entire game?! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Even a broken clock is right twice per day. The other 31 carries produced 65 yards, barely over two yards per carry. Down after down all but wasted.

By the way, do you think the coaches will be able to distinguish why that play worked and the others were less effective? Could it be that they finally just once used the threat of our freshly powerful passing attack with our top 10 rated rookie QB to set up the run instead of trying and failing with our anemic running game to set up the pass.

In case you missed it, we do one thing really well--and that is passing the mother f'ing ball. We should be doing the thing that we do really well to set up the thing that we do less well, which is running the ball.

Do you think the Saints were crowding us at the line of scrimmage to stop the run or were somehow not applying tons of pass rush pressure on Herbert? Oh yeah, they were so concerned about our anemic rushing attack that they had their highest pass rush pressure rate of the entire season against us.

Oh yeah, they were biting hard on the play action pass. Give me a break! That is absolute BS.

The Davis INT was 100% the result of Davis' speed and quickness. There was zero coaching value involved with Davis defending the only receiver in the area. I mean, you're kidding, right? Do you think the coach needs to tell Davis to defend the only receiver in his zip code?

Drew Brees and Adderley share the credit for the almost pick 6. Brees significantly ovethrew the pass and Adderley caught and returned the ball. Do I think that was the result of some sort of special coaching? No. Adderley was playing a deep safety and was blessed to have a throw fall into his lap.

We have been ahead in the games in which we blew leads for two reasons. Against the Chiefs, it was Herbert and the defense that had us in the lead. Against the Bucs and Saints, it was Herbert period. If you watched our games, you have witnessed the emergence of a total stud at the stud at the QB position. That is what has kept us close in spite of poor coaching.

The reality is that we lose every one of those games by 20+ points if Herbert is not the QB. And that would have been our reality but for our buffoon of a head coach being aided by the fluke of a team doctor puncturing the lung of our head coach's idiotic choice to start at QB for us. So, no, Lynn does not get any credit for the fluke that has allowed the team to be close in these losses.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Maybe we beat the Jags and Jets. Seems too difficult to beat a division rival.
              If the Broncos do not have Lock, they may be in play for a win for us. Sutton is gone and Fant is hurt for the time being as well. If Herbert plays well, we probably have at least a 50/50 chance against them, which could allow us to enjoy more wins, but would hurt us in next year's draft. Our upcoming schedule really is pretty soft.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post

Soooo...

Getting a big lead and blowing that lead every week = good coaching?

Chris Rock Reaction GIF
                no.
                getting a big lead = good coaching.
                losing the big lead = bad players.

see i can play this silly blame game too

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Send PM

I don't get it. We want to tank this season, but not let Herbert get used to losing?

Forget about the high pick next year. I hope we go on a winning streak so Herbert achieves an early quarterback growth spurt, gets confidence winning games and builds more chemistry with the weapons on offense. I don't care if we finish around the 8-8 range. That's a good amount of wins for a rookie QB who wasn't supposed to start until next year and a team with key injuries on both sides of the ball. Breaking the play-offs with a rookie would be a bonus.

The Bruce Irvin's, Fletcher Cox's, Bobby Wagner's, etc. tiers of the drafts are there in the 10-20 pick range of both rounds to help fill out the roster. This team needs some vets that we can't get through the draft anyways. If they go 8-8 and pick up some players with experience, then they may be looking at 10-6, 11-5 next season. As HC, Lynn already proved he can get 10+ wins over a season and a play-off win (against a Superbowl-winning HC no less). Then we're looking at maybe legit contention 2-3 years from now with a confident, polished QB that has chemistry with the offense and a quality student/teacher relationship with the HC he had as a rookie.

Let's not rebuild the rebuild.
                  Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 10-15-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Saints game
                    Allen on played 12 snaps before exiting the game.
                    He had 2 catches 29 yards and TD.
                    Any chance he impacts the game if he is able to play the entire game.
                    Bosa only played 28 snaps of 76 possible.
                    Any chance he impacts the game if he can play another 28 snaps.
                    Nwosu got hurt, played 39 snaps of the 76.
                    Hayward also had to exit. Played 54 of 76.

And then there are those that are out of line-up.
                    James
                    Harris
                    Tranquill
                    Ekeler
                    Bulaga
                    Turner
                    Pouncey

Any chance they make a difference?

If you were told before season that Lynn would be missing all these players in game 5 at New Orleans Monday night playing a rookie QB. I doubt anybody thinks Lynn can win that game. And if Badgely makes his damn kick, then he does.

But yep, lets sweep that all under the rug.
                    Lets ignore that the other team gets paid too.
                    Lets act like Herbert/Lynn have the same years together of experience as Brees/Payton. Lets ignore Brees had the better o-line.

And lets simply say Lynn is terrible because he blew the lead his player gave him.

Chargers HCs suck and only hinder the players ability to win.

Chargers should name Justin Herbert the HC. Problem solved.
                    :anchorjump:
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

no.
                      getting a big lead = good coaching.
                      losing the big lead = bad players.

see i can play this silly blame game too
                      Players are like computers.... I think that is a good analogy... how a computer works is really dependant on the guy who is pressing the keys....

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Players are like computers.... I think that is a good analogy... how a computer works is really dependant on the guy who is pressing the keys....
                        Ok. Now lets remove the keys A, J, T, B, H, E, I, P & N.
                        That represent all the missing starters.
                        Good luck on your work project.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

How come Marty never had a lot of njured players? because he made them train.......

DOLPHINS HATE IT --- EXCEPT SHULA

MIAMI — Dolphins don’t mind strapping on the pads and knocking the daylights out of each other. But tell them to run 12 minutes straight and you’ll see fear in their eyes. “…

"Saxon said the Chiefs had no endurance running drill, but coach Marty Schottenheimer was a big fan of "gassers," the sideline-to-sideline sprints that are another of Shula's favorites (usually after morning practice)."

Comment

Working...
                          X