• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Imagine how Cincy fans feel about watching Herbert play and then entire NFL gushing about how great he is, while Joe Burrow is an afterthought. Burrow was the guy who was supposed to generate all the rookie QB buzz. Burrow has been good, but he's not on Herbert's level.

Comment

• Eurobolt
      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
      Where all the peeps that wanted Simmons before Herbert and got pissed off when we picked him. I vote Pep Hamiliton is a big part of his success, hes probably the only thing the Chargers have done right.
      It has to be main factor (Hamilton).

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post
        I posted a couple long posts about Justin Herbert right after the draft, giving the Oregon fan's perspective on why he had a chance to be really good and why the experts who doubted him were getting it wrong. So I was certainly among those who expected him to be a good NFL starting quarterback, but even so, his play so far this season has blown me away. I thought he could be this guy, but never would have thought he'd look BETTER in the NFL than he did against top college competition this quickly. In my previous posts, I referenced two of the three key things that I see as answering how he is playing this well, this fast, but I also wanted to add one more.

1. His situation at Oregon was by far the worst of the top three quarterbacks. The conservative coaching, simplistic passing scheme and poor receiver play made him look much more inconsistent and less dominant than he really was.

2. He has actually significantly improved his footwork and mechanics since he left Oregon with legit quarterback coaching. He never did the QB camp circuit or had a personal quarterback coach or any of the extra coaching that top groomed quarterbacks all over the country routinely have these days. Working with quarterback coach John Beck during the pre-draft and offseason, followed by intense tutelage from Pep Hamilton once he was with the Chargers has made a huge difference. The reason this intensive work has made such a dramatic difference in Herbert's consistent accuracy (largely due to footwork and cleaning up mechanics) is that he'd never had that sort of coaching before and he therefore had a chance at some rapid and explosive growth.

3. Until this year, he had never devoted all of his considerable talent and intellect toward football. This is not to say that he wasn't dedicated before. As I mentioned in a previous post, he was the guy organizing summer workouts and was the unquestioned offensive leader of those Oregon teams his last two seasons, but he also was extremely committed to success in the classroom. You don't get a 4.0 in Biology without putting in the hours and the energy. That's at least 20+ hours a week devoted to intense mental work outside of football. Even going back to high school, Herbert was a three sport athlete, shining as an elite pitcher in baseball and a key player on his high school hoops squad. He has spent his life being well rounded and being successful at nearly every challenge he has taken on. Focusing those diverse talents on one goal, becoming the best NFL quarterback he can be, is clearly paying dividends and has helped him accelerate his learning curve beyond what almost anyone thought was possible (particularly with this low rep offseason).

There are probably other factors beyond these that help answer this question, but the great thing about the things above is that they point to a player with plenty of growth still in front of him. I can't wait to see this team start stringing together some W's after the bye.
        I have to say I was one of those upset that we picked Herbert. I am happily eating crow now. This kid has been amazing. With little to no reps in the offseason, no preseason and he looks like this? In all my years of watching football (since the 70's) I have not seen a rookie QB come in and play like this. He has an amazing future and would love to see the Chargers add another Duck to their QB HOF list.

Comment

• SBbound
          Casual fanatic
          • Feb 2019
          • Merced/San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
          wonderlic...didnt Marino score something astonishingly low? but so did that idiot QB from tennessee (vince young?).

Comment

• Boltdiehard
            The Precious
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Where all the peeps that wanted Simmons before Herbert and got pissed off when we picked him. I vote Pep Hamiliton is a big part of his success, hes probably the only thing the Chargers have done right.
            I am one of those and have gained twelve pounds eating so much crow for the last four weeks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

It has to be main factor (Hamilton).
              I will say, Pep Hamilton - probably - has done a very good job

I wanted Jim Caldwell but Hamilton it seems has done well at QB coach.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

As I said in another thread, he has performed waaaay beyond what any of us could reasonably expect. It’s fair to look back at the drawbacks he faced at Oregon but we should also give him credit for staying in college an extra year and gaining more experience before he came to the NFL. He has proven to be a pro right from the start. NFL ready.

Comment

I wanted us to take Simmons at #6. I thought that Herbert was the best of the QB candidates, but overvalued at #6 overall. So far it looks like I was wrong that Herbert was overvalued at #6 overall. So far it looks like I was clearly right that Burrow was overvalued at #1 overall since Herbert appears to be so much better than Burrow.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

What, no props to QB coach Pep Hamilton? Dude is arguably the sole reason why Hebert is ready this fast this early from a team organization standpoint.

Comment

• Scoregon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      What, no props to QB coach Pep Hamilton? Dude is arguably the sole reason why Hebert is ready this fast this early from a team organization standpoint.
                      Mentioned him in the original post...and at least 3 or 4 other replies mentioned him as well. I think most agree that Pep has been good for Justin's development.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post

Mentioned him in the original post...and at least 3 or 4 other replies mentioned him as well. I think most agree that Pep has been good for Justin's development.
                        They say reading is fundamental......I just threw a pick 6 LOL. Pep has Herbert doing some real life in-game better get ready drills.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Watching Herbert play trumps watching the Bolts lose. Every time he throws the ball Is a joy to watch.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X