• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Bosa is not Donald and the rest of the rams DL is way way better than the rest of Chargers DL......plus they have much better CB's...... Donald is a DT so his pass rush comes up the middle where it gets to QB's quicker and causes far more disruption than an outside rusher does.....

This guy may be a great DC, but his defense is loaded with far better personnel ......so it's really hard to judge(though he is obviously better than Wade)..... the bigger question is what kind of offense will he run...... 90% of DC's turned HC, shut the offenses down to slow pedestrian offenses designed to just not make mistakes...... before the 49ers hired Shannahan and after Harbaugh they went through some really great DC's turned HC's that made the 49ers offense absolutely horrible..... boring..... it went got nothing or went backward on most possessions...... so bad it made their fans want to bang their heads into walls.....

Dabol is a better choice for HC...... but he needs to hire a very aggressive DC to attack QB's.....

Though I will say I prefer the rams DC or 49ers DC over the colts DC.....if we end up hiring a DC as HC.....
    Why? I think Eberflus did a very good job in Indy. It really depends on how the guy is perceived as making the transition to head coach.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Bosa is not Donald and the rest of the rams DL is way way better than the rest of Chargers DL......plus they have much better CB's...... Donald is a DT so his pass rush comes up the middle where it gets to QB's quicker and causes far more disruption than an outside rusher does.....

This guy may be a great DC, but his defense is loaded with far better personnel ......so it's really hard to judge(though he is obviously better than Wade)..... the bigger question is what kind of offense will he run...... 90% of DC's turned HC, shut the offenses down to slow pedestrian offenses designed to just not make mistakes...... before the 49ers hired Shannahan and after Harbaugh they went through some really great DC's turned HC's that made the 49ers offense absolutely horrible..... boring..... it went got nothing or went backward on most possessions...... so bad it made their fans want to bang their heads into walls.....

Dabol is a better choice for HC...... but he needs to hire a very aggressive DC to attack QB's.....

Though I will say I prefer the rams DC or 49ers DC over the colts DC.....if we end up hiring a DC as HC.....
      ​​​​​​I still believe offense score points
      and defense wins championships.
      Norv, McCoy, Lynn were offense coaches.
      It's time to go Defense! Defense! Defense!

​​​​
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• UtahBolt
        Did we win?
        • Jun 2013
        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
        • Send PM

The longer this goes the more I find myself hoping for defensive guy as the next HC. In the past, Daboll was my favorite but there is something about the guy that does not pass the eye test to me. Just does not seem like he has it all together as a head coach. The guy just seems disheveled and even a little sloppy and I don't think that look is going to make it in LA. Anyway, to me, the offensive staff is not the issue with this team, I feel we are an organized and aggressive defensive coach away from this team contending. So, I am all about Saleh or Staley as my one 1 and 1 A now.

(...providing UM is out of the running).
        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
          The longer this goes the more I find myself hoping for defensive guy as the next HC. In the past, Daboll was my favorite but there is something about the guy that does not pass the eye test to me. Just does not seem like he has it all together as a head coach. The guy just seems disheveled and even a little sloppy and I don't think that look is going to make it in LA. Anyway, to me, the offensive staff is not the issue with this team, I feel we are an organized and aggressive defensive coach away from this team contending. So, I am all about Saleh or Staley as my one 1 and 1 A now.

If I get to choose between the two, I would pick Staley. At least he has experience on both sides of the ball and a “genius” per Ramsey. It is a win win for our O and D.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

Hilarious.
            so far we have anxious-energy (mine), stressed, scared and now disheveled.
            This guy’s a train-wreck!!
            pass it on!
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

"Houston Texans Coaching News: Texans To Interview Brandon Staley - Battle Red Blog" https://www.battleredblog.com/platfo...brandon-staley

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

That Texans job is probably the worst opening in the league. That team has a great QB in Watson and a few other pieces, but I think Watson doesn’t want to be there and that it’s gonna get worse before it gets better. O’Brien really screwed things up there.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2021/01/12/why-the-chargers-could-hire-rams-dc-brandon-staley/

Offensive coordinators are being favored for head coaching jobs, especially by teams with young quarterbacks. Many want the next Sean McVay, but the Rams coach is telling the seven teams with vacancies they would be wise to hire his defensive coordinator.

The Chargers have shown interest in Brandon Staley, whose stock surged after his Rams defense dominated quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seahawks offense during last week’s wild-card playoff win. Staley is one of eight candidates who has reportedly interviewed with the Chargers for their head coach opening. Staley is viewed as a long shot because he’s not an offensive-minded coach and hiring him might not be in the best interest for quarterback Justin Herbert, who’s coming off a sensational rookie season.

Offense or defense?

Five of the Chargers’ current candidates are offensive coordinators: Buffalo’s Brian Daboll, Tennessee’s Arthur Smith, Carolina’s Joe Brady, Kansas City’s Eric Bieniemy and New York Giants’ Jason Garrett. Staley, San Francisco’s Robert Saleh and Indianapolis’ Matt Eberflus are defensive coordinators. Staley, however, checks many boxes and the Chargers should take McVay’s advice and at least give him serious consideration and advance him to the second round of interviews.

There were many problems for the Chargers last season, but the offense wasn’t the biggest issue. Yes, the offense was conservative at times. The Chargers also blew double-digit leads and there was a bad stretch against AFC East teams. But for most of the season, Herbert had the offense clicking, despite numerous injuries to the offensive line and skill players.

At one point, the Chargers scored 26 points or more in five consecutive games and had a 1-4 record during that stretch. The Chargers’ defense allowed at least 29 points in those five games. For the season, the Chargers allowed 26.6 points per game.

Staley operates a defense that ranked first in the regular season in points allowed per game (18.5) and yards allowed per game (281.9). That defense also generated 53 sacks (second in the NFL) and 22 takeaways (10th).

Chargers fans have spent the past two seasons screaming for more sacks, takeaways and blitz plays. Bradley’s zone-heavy defense has had plenty of success in the NFL, but it’s a safe scheme that doesn’t create many impact plays. Bradley was the Chargers’ defensive coordinator the past four seasons.

Strengths over scheme

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

image_2021-01-15_164422.png

HC - Brian Daboll
                    OC - Ken Dorsey
                    DC - Eric Washington

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

The Texans' fan video makes a lot of good points on Staley, specifically that the Rams had the same players on defense and were middle of the pack last year. Michael Brockers credits Staley for raising his game. This man is one to watch, I hope we get him over Daboll.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Hiring this guy and keeping Pep Hamiton as OC would be a very good cheap option, I wouldn't be against it.

I wouldn't be against hiring the clapper either, he would just need to bring wade or a very good DC with him. The Dallas Chargers.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          image_2021-01-15_164422.png

HC - Brian Daboll
                          OC - Ken Dorsey
                          DC - Eric Washington

Is that the same Dorsey that Q'd at the U??

Comment

Working...
                          X