• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKFlyFisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

I am relieved seeing that Staley has full control to hire the staff he wants. Whether the staff will be successful, I'm unsure. But he appears to be building a decent staff. The pool he is considering appears relatively small and shallow -- not a surprise given his lack of time in the NFL -- but if they are good coaches, that may not matter.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      Jonathan Gannon, Colts DB coach
      interviewing as well

Per Rap Sheet
      Defensive Search Staff Updates

Jonathan Gannon. This is another Brandon Staley situation, where the Chargers would be wise to not let him leave after the interview.

Joe Barry

Jay Rodgers

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wow. A defensive passing game coordinator. That’s a bit unique. I guess the motivated only by being cheap Dean Spanos and his meddling backward thinking son John are letting Staley take some innovative approaches to his staff all while forcing the former assistant coaches on him?

Ha!

Barry returns to where he was stolen from. It’s interesting that he was the assistant head coach in addition to linebacker coach at the Rams. So this is NOT a lateral move or a promotion. HC’s typically give the assistant head coach title to those they value and don’t want stolen. Barry has been around a while and is a former DC in the NLF along with a lot of college experience. Might be a father figure for Staley?

The DB coach from Indy is highly regarded. Don’t know about the DB coach from Denver. I guess this means we got maybe the best DL coach in the NFL on our team as a lateral move. Must say something about Staley.

And Morris rejected Meyer for McVAy says a lot, too.

TG
        Last edited by Heatmiser; 01-21-2021, 09:12 AM.
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Wait, so you think McConnell is the only option other than Steichen for OC?
          Mike McDaniel was the top option as OC if Staley was hired. But with Kyle promoting him to OC, it was on to O’Connell and hoping that McVay releases him to us like he did with LaFleur and the Titans.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Defensive Search Staff Updates

Jonathan Gannon. This is another Brandon Staley situation, where the Chargers would be wise to not let him leave after the interview.

Joe Barry

Jay Rodgers
            Man, Joe Barry. Glad he’s not the DC but doing something else instead.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Wow. A defensive passing game coordinator. That’s a bit unique. I guess the motivated only by being cheap Dean Spanos and his meddling backward thinking son John are letting Staley take some innovative approaches to his staff all while forcing the former assistant coaches on him?

Ha!

Barry returns to where he was stolen from.

The DB coach from Indy is highly regarded. Don’t know about the DB coach from Denver. I guess this means we got maybe the best DL coach in the NFL on our team as a lateral move. Must say something about Staley.

TG
              Dean is probably freaking out. Their profit is shrinking with all these positions getting filled. I didn’t know there were this many positions under the HC. When we hired Lynn, I don’t remember people getting interviewed left and right like this.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Ha!

Barry returns to where he was stolen from.

TG
                Breer pointed out that Gannon is a hot name for DC
                Philly if McDaniels gets the job (and my guess, if Nick Sirianni from the Colts gets the Eagles job might want Gannon)
                Falcons want Gannon
                Chargers interviewing

Breer also said if Josh McD got the Browns job in 2020 - than Gannon and Staley would have been co-coordinators

That last statement tells me Staley was a known assistant last year

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Dean is probably freaking out. Their profit is shrinking with all these positions getting filled. I didn’t know there were this many positions under the HC. When we hired Lynn, I don’t remember people getting interviewed left and right like this.
                  Exactly. Appears the Chargers are welcoming an innovative, more modern and specialized approach. Not just position teachers, but coordinated concept teachers as well. Says a lot about the ownership/front office.

TG

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Morris has been hired. He spurned Meyer to take the Rams job. Meyer was hot after him.

TG
                    I wonder if that means that he thinks that Meyer's foray into the NFL will be as much of a shit show as I do? :shrug:

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Exactly. Appears the Chargers are welcoming an innovative, more modern and specialized approach. Not just position teachers, but coordinated concept teachers as well. Says a lot about the ownership/front office.

TG
                      It looks like Staley is going after some Bears D-staff. If we can model our D to be like the Rams or Bears, we will be golden.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

I'm not surprised Campen wasn't retained.

LeFleur let him go in Green Bay, when he switched their offense to a more McVay style.

In case anyone is wondering what the offense will look like.

I think there is a chance Steichen could stay...but I don't think it's likely.

I like the hires on the defensive side so far.
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Gannon is another Northeast Ohio guy (Cleveland).

TG

Comment

Working...
                          X